“Incredibly good, healthy food in comfortable and beautiful settings”
Review of Shop Cafe

Shop Cafe
Ranked #22 of 178 Restaurants in Harare
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

With my spouse away for a 6-week assignment and myself tired of my own cooking, I wandered into the Amanzi complex (I had heard the food at Amanzi restaurant is fantastic). Luckily I ended up on The Shop Cafe side. I was a bit confused about how things operated (it was around 1:30 pm on a Saturday and the place was packed), but the owner/chef sorted me out and explained that I could order a drink and wait for my turn to go to the buffet table. I asked him for the wi-fi password and he laughed, saying he had no use for computers and didn't know but quickly rounded up a member of staff who got me started. Although I had work to do (hence, the laptop and wi-fi), watching the other guests was quite entertaining. After being served very tasty hummus and tortilla chips, I was told it was my turn at the buffet. The owner kindly offered to watch my laptop and chat with two friends at the next table. I could not believe the beautiful spread on offer, took a bit of everything and loved it all. The baked tomatoes stuffed with some sort of cheese were the best, although it was hard to choose. I started chatting with the owner's friends, learned one works in three of the countries I often find myself in (Burundi, DR Congo and Rwanda) and we exchanged some of our more humorous adventures in these places. The owner showed up and told me I was interfering with his friends' meal which "was getting warm" (the buffet's dishes were all cold) in a jocular fashion. All in all, a great place in which to lose oneself at mid-day and eat perhaps the best food in Harare.

Reviewed 1 February 2018

This restaurant is heaven for vegetarians one of the few places in Harare to do really good veggie food...

Reviewed 31 July 2017

This wonderful cafe was an absolute lifesaver for a vegan visiting Zimbabwe! It was so exciting to discover this delicious vegetarian and vegan buffet in Harare's Northern suburbs, and needless to stay I ate there quite a lot during my stay. Not only is the food delicious, the surroundings are peaceful, lush and tranquil, making it a really lovely spot to meet for lunch. Kerry and his son are hugely accommodating and also great fun if you're up for a spot of friendly banter. When given advance notice they were more than happy to prepare a special plate for me taking into account my food intolerances, even if I am now known as 'the onion lady' ;) Highly recommend even if you are primarily carnivorous!

Reviewed 15 March 2017 via mobile

Thankfully the famous shop cafe is not closed, though their location is no longer at Doon Estate, but at Amanzi in Chisipite. The food is as delicious as before with the vegatarian buffet which includes that hot and cold foods. I do hope with time they can introduce their other selection of meals like the vegatarian platter (with spanakopita), haloumi cheese and their famous licorice ice cream. The food is fresh, healthy and tasty and the talents chefs are the same as before (sorry, don't know their names). Would definitely go again.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

The shop cafe is still providing its famous healthy, wholefood
vegetarian buffet and the best carrot cake ever.
Not to mention the original homemade
lemonade and fresh bread...

It is now situated on the verandah, in the cool
tropical gardens of Amanzi Restaurant and better than ever