“A great hideaway in the Marrakech Medina”
other travellers have booked this property
Riad Laksiba -  Guest house, Hotel, Rooms or Exclusive Use, Kasbah, Medina, Marrakech, Morocco
Riad Laksiba - Exclusive Use from £125 Night Riad Laksiba  - Rooms from £25 Person
Check Availability
The Twin Room Two, First Floor
Riad Laksiba - Open-Air Courtyard
Bathroom In Twin Room Two, First Floor
Entrance
Dont just be a Tourist. Go Native, Experience Marrakech.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Riad -
5 Bedrooms, 5 Bathrooms, Sleeps 10
Marrakech, Marrakech-Tensift-El Haouz Region

Reviews from our community

Excellent - based on 228 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Turkish first
German first
Italian first
Turkish first
Any
ckrakoff
Acton, MA
“A great hideaway in the Marrakech Medina”
Reviewed 15 January 2012 for a stay in January 2012

My daughter and I stayed at Riad Laksiba for a week in January. I had somehow found it online, and since we wanted one room with twin beds, our choices were somewhat limited, but Laksiba had what seemed ideal. I booked online and made a deposit via Paypal, and was sent details by Simon, the British owner, who arranged an airport pickup for us. The riad is in the Kasbah section, at the south end of the Medina, about 15 minutes' walk from the Djemaa el Fnaa square, which is the center of the action. Simon, who had flown back to Britain the day before we arrived, is an architect, and it shows. The place is exquisitely decorated. The room is spacious and comfortable. Mohamed, a young Moroccan man in his late 20s, manages the place and lives on the premises, and he is very courteous and helpful. His English is quite good, and although my daughter and I both speak French, he likes to practice his English. Nadia comes in every day to prepare breakfast, clean, and do laundry, and she will cook dinner if you ask in the morning, at a cost of about 200 Dhs. ($25) per person. We are paying 50 pounds a day (we are possibly the first non-British guests, so everything is quoted in pounds), which is cheap compared to most other riads. It is not the most luxurious - other some places have their own hammam (bath house) and spa - but the prices are set accordingly. For a quiet, comfortable, friendly place, and excellent value for money, it is hard to beat Riad Laksiba.

Travelling group: Family
16 Jan 2012
Thank you so much for taking time to write a review. We have indeed had many Guests from overseas but you are right in your comment about quoting prices in English Pounds (as it makes up 80%+ of our natural market place). Your approach to writing a Review was very professional and I am particularly pleased by your wording I quote: "It is not the most luxurious - other some places have their own hammam (bath house) and spa - but the prices are set accordingly. For a quiet, comfortable, friendly place, and excellent value for money, it is hard to beat Riad Laksiba."
At Riad Laksiba we have tried to capture traditional values rather than creating a pseudo-boutique-hotel inside the shell of an old Riad. Our A-typlcal audience love the fact that it feels visually accurate to tradition and does not compromise with bedroom mini-bars, flat screen TV's, a card-shop and reception. A clean, basic, un-compromised opportunity to sample "Urban Tourism" that some, hopefully, feel it looks stunning.
I hope you return and visit again in the future and experience how Riad Laksiba continues to evolve. Best regards Simon. Riad Laksiba
Ben H
Arrochar, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing - my new Moroccan Home!”
Reviewed 12 January 2012 for a stay in December 2011

After travelling round Morocco for 3 weeks, experiencing various accommodation, Riad Laksiba is without a doubt the most welcoming, friendly and authentic place that we experienced. Over our 3 week trip we stayed at the riad a number of times and on each occasion the team were always helpful, informative and smiling!!
Our first contact with Laksiba began in England where the Riad was recommended by a friend. From this initial contact the staff did everything they could to help, from making sure we arrived comfortably to ensuring that when we left, to experience the rest of Morocco, we were fully informed. (places to stay and visit, routes, other riad owners, language tips....the list is endless.)
Thanks again to the whole of the team, Simon, Mellak, Touria and Abdou. I really felt I arrived as a guest but left as a friend.

Travelling group: Couples
16 Jan 2012
Hello Ben, boy did you get the best out of your holiday. Our only visitor to arrive with a camping tent! (Albeit not used). I was delighted to assist you with your plans to visit Mountains, Desert and Coast. A true explorer. Well done. Looking forward to your return in August-September. Simon. Riad Laksiba
andrew J
Leicester, United Kingdom
“STUNNING”
Reviewed 11 January 2012 for a stay in January 2012

What an absolute gem the Riad Laksiba is. It's beautifully renovated to a very high standard in an authentic Morrocan style, clean and comfortable and offering a unique blend of both private and sociable surroundings. My family and I were made to feel extremely welcome by Simon and his staff, who all went out of their way to be as helpful and hospitable as possible. They undoubtedly enhanced our first trip to Morrocco, helping us pack as much as possible into our four day stay. We were particularly impressed by their ability to help organise activities that entertained our children(aged 10 & 8 ) yet gave us a chance to "experience" Marrakech. We have whole heartedly recommended Riad Laksiba to all our friends and will be returning as soon as possible!

Travelling group: Family
16 Jan 2012
Thanks Andrew and family. For your first trip to Marrakech you really packed it in, with a young family. I enjoyed teaching you guys how to ski in the Atlas Mountains and the highlight of Quad Biking on the fossilised dunes on the edge of the Sahara Desert. Exploring the Souks with a wide-eyed family is always a pleasure and I was delighted that your children felt that the food at Riad Laksiba was highly rated. For your next visit in the warmer months water-parks and a trip to the coast will give you yet another aspect of this wonderful escape. Thanks for the review. Simon. Riad Laksiba
Fateha K
Manchester, United Kingdom
“My week at Riad Laksiba”
Reviewed 31 December 2011 for a stay in December 2011

When we started planning our big holiday to Marrakech three months ago, taking into consideration accommodation was extremely important as we were a large group of 11.

After a bit of online research and reading about various Riads, we had an immediate liking of Riad Laksiba as soon as we came across it; we eventually found ourselves giving Simon a call. We were confident we had found the ideal Riad – great price, ideal number of rooms, and fantastic location. Thankfully the Riad was available for the dates we wanted – success! We started planning the holiday after securing the Riad with a deposit.

We kept in regular contact with Simon and he was very accommodating (sorry for the pun); because there were 11 of us we had specific requirements for bed layouts etc, yet Simon was more than happy to make arrangements. It was personal touches like this where Simon would go out of his way which really helped us out. Simon also kindly gave us a contact for a transport company and we later booked a personal driver and minibus for the duration of our trip.

When we asked for quotes from other companies for chauffeur services, we realised we were saving over £400 booking through the contact we were recommended – thanks again to Simon!

We landed in Marrakech at night and found the house manager Mellak, and our chauffeur Khalid waiting for us at the airport. Ten minutes later, we arrived at Riad Laksiba. It was situated within the “Bab Ksiba”, and was a short walk down a few quiet alleys. My tip to find the Riad: walk down the Bab Ksiba entrance, and turn right when you see a loveheart scribbled on a wall, and then take the last left and follow the alley round until you see a date palm tree. Voila!

When Mellak showed us around the house, we noticed that Simon and Mellak had put in a lot of effort to rearrange rooms in order to ensure we were accommodated as needed. This was very much appreciated! Mellak showed us the rooftop – we had a view of Kasbah and Koutoubia Mosques. The night sky was amazing – so many stars and all week we never lost sight of Orion’s Belt. Mellak also offered Moroccan mint tea which my mum says was the best mint tea she had tasted during her entire trip!

The next day we woke up to the melodious sound of birds tweeting. We met the maids who greeted us with ‘salaam’ and a big smile, and we all felt very welcome and happy to be there. Breakfast comprised Moroccan pancakes (one of my favourites), bread, honey, jam, butter, and freshly squeezed orange juice – the perfect way to start our day! Breakfast would be served in the foyers on each floor. The maids would always bring out the food at the right time, and top us up just when we would need more! On most days, we were out straight after breakfast. When we would return around lunchtime, the Riad including the bedrooms and bathrooms would be spotless.

By day two my family were calling the Riad ‘home’. We had all warmed to it so quick which was a great feeling and we felt very comfortable and secure. One night, we bought ingredients from local shops and cooked a meal for everyone and allowed Mellak to sample the cuisine, which he very much enjoyed!

The Riad was well decorated with traditional Moroccan furniture, features and artefacts. The lighting in the house made it feel very warm and homely and the designated seating areas gave us the opportunity to sit together in a group and have catch-ups on how the day went and what to do the following day. On one night, some of us played the Moroccan version of Monopoly whilst I entertained Mellak with my card tricks!

The Riad was situated in the most ideal location – it was literally a 15-minute walk from the Jemma El Fnaa and the Souks, and right near an orangery and a children’s playground. The neighbours and locals were very friendly and we soon got to learn that this is what the majority of Moroccon people were like. You wouldn’t walk down an alley without receiving smiles and ‘bonjour’ or ‘salaam’ from neighbours.

You can tell just how much work has gone into renovating the Riad. We were all so impressed at the tiny details around the Riad and very happy with how much effort Simon and his team had put in to make our stay a very happy one. As we came to the end of our stay, we were all feeling sad to leave what had become our ‘home’! We will definitely be returning to Marrakech and will most definitely be staying at the Riad again - fantastic staff, excellent location, great value for money, and a beautifully decorated Riad.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The traditional Moroccan touches, the extremely helpful staff, the feeling of warmth and comfort.
Liked least: Can't think of anything!
Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Steve C
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Superb in every way!”
Reviewed 31 December 2011 for a stay in November 2011
person found this review helpful

I booked for 3 nights not knowing what to expect, but ended up staying at Laksiba for my full 2 weeks in Marrakech. Simon, Mellak, Touria and Abdou went out of their way to make my stay not only comfortable but also a lot of fun and very, very interesting - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have seen half of what Marrakech has to offer without their advice and guidance.

The building itself is a rare gem, beautifully rebuilt using traditional techniques with an eye for detail and sense of style. The result is a unique, well thought out, atmospheric and comfortable riad - the opportunity to relax in a place like this doesn't come along every day, in fact it's been years since I stayed anywhere half as good.

However, it is the genuine hospitality that really makes Laksiba outstanding. Simon and Mellak's efforts made me feel welcome not only in the riad, but throughout Marrakech. They seem to know everyone, can find the most obscure places, and will almost certainly be able to tell you the best way to go about things in Morocco.

It is very easy to find, close to the Kasbah gate (Bab Ksiba) so there is little chance of getting lost late at night. One of the things I really liked about the location was that when in a hurry I could head out of the gate and walk on the outside of the Medina walls - much quicker than navigating through busy streets. When not in a hurry (most of the time) the stroll through the medina to the main square is very pleasant and very friendly. The Kasbah has a nice vibe, it seems more laid back than the rest of the city, the perfect spot from which to explore both the medina and the new town and everything is within easy walking distance.

So, in a nutshell I would wholeheartedly recommend Riad Laksiba. I've stayed in many small hotels and hostels in many countries, but this one really is something special.

Travelling group: Solo
1 Jan 2012
Hello Steve, HAPPY NEW YEAR. It truly was a blast. Of all the Guests in 2011 I think you got to see more of the real Marrakech than any! At the point when I left for the UK I did find it truly rewarding that you had elected to take Javier and Kim, our newest Guests, out on an Orientation Walking Tour of Marrakech, you certainly got your head around the geography of the Medina. We all enjoyed your company and your Filming ideas. I hope all is going well in France for you and you'll come back and visit us in 2012. Simon
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing