“Stay away or "The mother of all tourist traps"”

Restaurant al Fassia
Ranked #212 of 266 Restaurants in Fes
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 January 2018

"The mother of all Palace Restaurants", said my Lonely Planed guidebook. We ended up paying 60€/person to find that Al Fassia is the mother of all tourist traps.
We where aware that this was a tourist-taylored restaurant, but even though we where curious about it and thought it might be fun to go there one night. It wasn't. Actually, it was quite a terrible and expensive experience.
We dropped by the day before to see the place (really nice room) and make a reservation. There, we where quite clear on the table that we wanted. To our surprise, when we got there the next day, the table was already taken. The manager (who took our reservation) laughed, sat us on another table, and took ages before he finally agreed on changing us to a better one.
The show was terribly decadent, even though lot's of clients where enjoying and happily participating on it. But the worse was yet to come: the food was below terrible. Horrid. My wife couldn't eat nothing but bread, some olives and the tangerines that arrived at the end. We are well travelled and love moroccan food, but this was the worst meal we had in Morocco, by far!
Stay away. Please.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 29 November 2017

Were were recommended to come here by our guide. We came early to make reservations. They wanted $100 dihram to make a reservation and would be reimbursed for food. We returned for dinner and were the only customers there for the whole show. I thought this would be great, a private show. The food was way overpriced and not very good in quality. The show was okay but not worth the cost of the expensive food. Only the magician was very good, everyone else was just looking for tips. They added on a service charge, a show charge, and some other charges that the bill ended up being $100USD for the two of us. Would not recommend.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

The price per plate was 300 to 500 for not that great of food but I get it...the cost was for the show....but the show was a disappointment and the group of musicians kept throwing there drums so that we would tip them...and we were the only ones in the resturant but they had cleverly put in a 50 MAD in there. And at the end we were billed additionally for the show....no where on the menu or the resturant does it say the show cost an additional 100 MAD

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 26 August 2017

This optional extra on our tour was billed as Arabian nights. It was interesting for the night as we wove down alleys that were less than appealing. In fact, I would not suggest going down them without a guide. Fortunately we had a great local guide with us. There were people trying to sell us trinkets the moment we stepped off the coach and this continued at the end of the night when we returned to the coach. Giving a lot of credit to our local Moroccan guide, he did try to stop this from occurring.

The dinner itself had some ups and downs. I will never understand a country not supplying unlimited water with a meal. We did get wine with our set menu. The meal, or the little of it that I ate...was interesting. There was a sweet pastry that I thoroughly enjoyed. But most of it... I didn't touch.

The entertainment for the night was great. Magicians, musicians and belly dancers. Sadly belly dancing is not a local thing, so it's put on for the tourists. Although it was quite entertaining on the night.

Once I had this experience, it is not something I would return to. However, I did enjoy it for what it was. The building we ate in was utterly breathtaking once you were inside.

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

First of all. The prices at this restaurant are very high for what they should be. The food is below par and mostly overly sweet compared to most other local places.

The shows are also pretty crappy. Two groups of men banging the same beat to some drums, one of the worst magicians I have ever seen, a belly dancer who hardly moved, and one other dancer.

Overall, i don't recommend this place to anyone. Tourist trap

Date of visit: July 2017