Review Highlights
Awesome and patient instructors

Johnny, Rachel and Nina are all AMAZING instructors. All three of them really helped me become more... read more

Reviewed 12 August 2021
NikkyWyand
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Amazing experience!

My experience with Freedive Utila has been one of my most memorable travel experiences. Over the... read more

Reviewed 5 July 2021
jess3y
via mobile

All reviews felt great unforgettable experience dive shop tex scuba skills goal dives fears rescue udc
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 October 2015

I travelled to Utila to do the advanced Freediver course and ended up staying for the whole month. The crew at the freedive place was fantastic. They really know their stuff and a very cool gang to hang out with. Highly recommend giving it a go as they are very good with beginners and keen freedivers alike.

Date of experience: September 2015
2  Thank Louis J
Reviewed 21 October 2015 via mobile

I was hesitant to sign up for a freediving course because as a scuba diver holding your breath up to a depth of 21 meters/70 ft seems really scary. We're taught to never hold our breath. Well I decided to give it a try anyways knowing I had a lot of room for improvement with my freediving skills. Before the course I could maybe duck dive down to 20 ft and hold my breath about 45 seconds. Tex, Lisa, and Jon made me immediately feel comfortable and all my fears quickly dissipated. Lisa is a wonderful teacher and goes above and beyond to make sure your comfortable and safe. After only 2 classes with Lisa I was able to hold my breath over 1 min 30 secs and I managed to get down to 40 ft. I know I could have gone so much deeper but i was struggling with sinus congestion. They were nice enough to offer for me to return to try again once my congestion cleared up but unfortunately I waited until the end of my trip to take the course. My only regret while on Utila was that I didn't take the freediving course sooner! Thank you so much Freedive Utila for the amazing experience! I hope to see you guys on a return visit!

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Christy J
Reviewed 21 October 2015 via mobile

Wow!

Playing it cool, I signed up for the beginner course with a couple of friends, while in the back of my mind, being terrified about trying to freedive to 21m.

You see, I have done some spear fishing but never been able to go much below 8 or 9 meters. It seemed a big jump.

After walking into the shop and meeting Tex, I walked out almost feeling confident for some reason. I guess his Zen kind of washes off somewhat.

However, it was when we first sat down with Lisa the next day that I first thought maybe I could actually do it.

Lisa is an incredible teacher / mentor. The breathing and relaxation techniques she taught us really had us feeling so chilled it was almost hard to stay awake - turns out this is a pretty handy state to be in for freediving.

On the second day of the course after having sudden urges to surface at around 14m on 2 dives, Lisa spent some time with me, getting me so relaxed that next dive I made it to the knot at 20m without even really trying.

Amazing! If you are considering the course but have some fear of not succeeding, do it anyway. You have way more to gain than to loose. But take care - it's highly addictive.

Tex, Lisa and the rest of the crew - thanks for such a great experience! Only wish I did it when I first got to the island so I had more time to do the advanced course and hang out with you guys.

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank Lcolmer
Reviewed 16 October 2015

I had an amazing time doing my advanced course at Utila Free Dive! His team of instructors are extremely knowledgeable and help navigate you through this exciting sport. I have recommended all of my friends interested in doing something different or continue their training for this center.

Date of experience: July 2015
2  Thank bluelightspecial2014
Reviewed 14 October 2015

Learning to free dive with Tex and the instructors at Freedive Utila was not only the high point of my trip, but an introduction to sport / lifestyle that I hope to continue at home. Tex is a natural born teacher; he explains/demonstrates everything from theory to practice with a calmness and patience. His quiet encouragement in the water instilled a confidence and helped me challenge myself more than I would have ever imagined!
I stayed in Freedive Utila and that really added to my experience. Great instructors, yummy cafe, lovely people and two crazy cats! I couldn't recommend Freedive Utila enough- for anyone who likes diving, snorkelling, swimming, yoga...or just wants to learn a little bit more about themselves.

Date of experience: August 2015