Review Highlights
World Class Course

I finally took my beginner course and surprised myself in reaching the 21 meter goal. I’ve been... read more

Reviewed 17 January 2020
Otiliaj
Minneapolis, Minnesota
via mobile
UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE!!!

Freedive is something I always wanted to try but never had courage to go and do it. While having... read more

Reviewed 25 November 2019
Milochka21
San Francisco, California

All reviews felt great unforgettable experience dive shop tex scuba skills goal dives fears rescue udc
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 October 2015

I arrived on Utila looking to do the entry level freediver course with the possibility of the advanced course in mind after hearing how a fellow traveller was able to reach a depth of 35m after just 5 days with Freedive Utila. The idea was to improve my time and depth so I could better explore shallow reefs for the remainder of my trip and for the future. After just 1 hour in the water I knew I was going to complete the Advanced Course and shortly after the Advanced Course I changed the rest of my travel plans to stay on to do the Master course. My goal went from simply wanting to be better on the reef to needing to improve my freediving abilities. For me, this change was partly due to the simple fact that freediving is a fantastic sport however, the enjoyment of the sport and my time here as a whole was in no small part due to the people.

Tex, Jon and Lisa are fantastic instructors who's passion for freediving translates into everything they do both in and out of the water. While in the classroom they know the in's and out's of the sport and are able to dispel any concerns, its when you hit the water that their instruction really shines. They manage to make you feel at ease the whole time in the water, accompanying every student on every dive (that can be more than 40 dives in a session) and still make it look easy.

Staying at Freedive Utila is a blast. The place has hammocks, a well stocked kitchen, TV area, good wifi and most of all great company. There's even sunset yoga on the dock with Yoga Utila (small donation required) almost everyday. It really does feel like a home away from home.

If you're even slightly considering taking a course here, do it - you won't regret it.

A big thanks to Tex, Marie, Lisa and Jon for making my time there and absolutely unforgettable experience!

3  Thank Zach O
Reviewed 28 September 2015

I can recommend the course to anyone who ever had the slightest interest in free-diving. I love the water and always wanted to try free-diving and experience a different kind of being under water. I couldn't have wished for a better place to learn than Freedive Utila.

The crew at Deep Blue Divers is very friendly, the location is really nice, the place and people are very relaxed and easy-going and most importantly they know their stuff, take their time and deliver quality (can definitely recommend them for scuba-diving, too).

The course was taught by Tex, which was a bliss. It is rare that someone teaches you with so much passion. It becomes immediately clear that he knows what he is talking about and he has a very clear way of communicating and explaining things. After the first afternoon in the classroom, we hit the water on day 2 and 3. There is no problem feeling comfortable on and under water having Tex around, taking his time and making you feel at ease.

I'll easily grand them 5 stars and thank Tex for sharing and showing his passion!

Date of experience: October 2014
2  Thank Joel_vd_Hoven
Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

Utila was a last minute change of plans for us, after hearing such rave reviews from fellow travellers and we are so happy we decided to go to Free Dive Utila. Our time here has definitely been one of our highlights, with skills we will take away and use forever.

We did both the beginners and advanced free divers courses and stayed in the rooms on site.
Free Dive Utila was a home away from home. We felt like we were living with mates in flat. The course was professional with a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Thanks to Tex, Lisa and John for all their guidance, helping us push (what we thought were) our limits, and making us feel so welcome. We wish we could have stayed longer, and would love to go back.

2  Thank AlexVil86
Reviewed 19 September 2015

In my opinion, free diving is a life changing experience. It is about you and your limits. I know, it sounds dangerous and out of reach for most people. Most of us can not hold our breaths more than 1 min, can not dive more than 3 metres. Well, I was just like that. The fantastic people in Apnea Total Utila helped me to dive 23 metres in my second day. After 2 fun dives I was hitting the bottom of the dive site, 30.3 metres with 2.25 mins under water with a single breath. It's not about your physical abilities. I am not a sporty guy. I eat burgers and drink beer :) Nothing special with me. You don't need to be special. What we don't know is our bodies are special and capable of certain things after you open the barriers of your minds.

I also did my scuba open water and open water advanced in Utila then tried free diving. They are incomparable and totally different. I can't say it is so easy but it is not hard. Free Dive Utila is a well run freediving center with experienced instructors. From the beginning you feel like your in good hands.

Also, try the Lotus Cafe in the dive shop run by beautiful free diver and cook Marie. You are lucky if you catch it open.

I thank you again Tex, Lisa, Jon, Marie and Zach. It was a great pleasure to meet you.

2  Thank Serhat_Tas
Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

Having learnt to freedive in the Philippines, and subsequently dived in Indonesia, we were very happy to find a dedicated freedive school on Utila. We headed straight down there and were greeted by Tex who, as we were already qualified free divers, invited us out to fun dive.

The fun dives were excellent. Freedive Utila has top notch equipment, and it's a real bonus to be able to dive above the Halliburton Wreck. It adds real interest to deep dive training. You can even swim through the wheelhouse (or even more of the ship) if you like. The approach to safety is excellent and we felt completely at ease from the moment we pulled on our wetsuits on the first day.

We realised that the coaches at Freedive Utila were absolutely first class so we decided to sign up for their apnea total advanced freedive course. I am so happy we did this. With the guidance of Lisa, our coach, both my girlfriend and I smashed our static pb's, explored the world of exhale diving and reached even greater depths than we had before. In the six days we were at Freedive Utila, I improved my depth pb from 30m to a comfortable dive of 41m.

On top of this, the school offers accommodation at discounted rates for students, which is a good option for anyone diving; it's affordable and well resourced with kitchen, sofas, TV, hot showers etc and if you're lucky enough to be around when Marie is cooking you're in for a real vegetarian treat!

Overall, we had an amazing stay at Freedive Utila. We were thinking of staying for two days, and ended up staying for six. Tex and his team are very professional, they are highly experienced, and the whole place just has an awesome vibe. It's the perfect location for either a beginner or an experienced athlete looking to push their limits.

I can't recommend them highly enough.

2  Thank ChrisDavy