All reviews corner room san pedro street noise hot shower one night shampoo santander pana
Reviewed 20 February 2017

I stayed here for four nights in February 2017, and for me it was a good choice. The hotel is right on the main street, Calle Santander, about halfway between the lake and the top of the street. It has 10 rooms, 5 on the second floor and 5 on the 3rd. Like most hotels in Pana, there is no elevator.

I stayed in room 601, which is the corner room facing the street right by the hotel sign. The corner rooms on both floors are larger than the 3 in the middle. They also have a large patio table and chairs, whereas the middle rooms only have patio chairs.

I greatly enjoyed sitting on the patio, working on my laptop, eating take-out, and watching the action on Calle Santander. It was a bit noisy, but I enjoyed the energy. Also, being low season the noise died down around 10 PM.

One night it was very windy and I heard loud flapping metal sounds throughout the night, presumably from the roll-up doors or metal roofs of the businesses on Calle Santander. Not the hotel's fault, of course, but be aware that it can get noisy on windy nights. However, unlike many hotels in Pana, I never heard any roosters crowing at all.

The room had two queen beds. It was basic, but large and very clean. There was an old analog TV, which I never even bothered to turn on. There is no air conditioning or ceiling fan, but I didn't need it in February. The large shuttered windows open, but I didn't feel comfortable sleeping with them open because they don't have screens.

The tile on the balcony is spotlessly clean, and extends into the room and bathroom. The shower is hot, but you may have to let it run a minute or two. (Tip: if the water is still cold after running it for a minute or so, turn it off and then immediately back on and it will get hot. Don't know why this worked, but it did). The only toiletries provided were 2 small unwrapped bars of soap and 2 packets of shampoo. Not a problem for me because I always travel with my own toiletries.

There is no hotel lobby, but rather an owner who runs a currency exchange business on the first floor. He speaks very little English, but was kind and accommodating. A hat shop and chocolate shop are also on the first level.

The Wi-Fi was a bit spotty. It worked perfectly the first 2 days, but only sporadically the second 2 days.

There is a Uruguayan restaurant a couple doors down that serves great breakfasts (closed on Thursday). Also a Salvadoran restaurant next door that sells delicious pupusas for only 5 quetzales each. The chocolate shop on the first level is a bit pricey, but a good place for souvenir chocolates. There is also a small tienda behind the hotel where you can grab a bottle of water or soda or a bag of chips.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and plan to stay here again on my next trip.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

I came here in August 2015

I do like the location of this hotel- you can reach the lake in 10 minutes walking through the market, restaurants, and bars on the strip. There is a pupusa lady and a taco cart outside late night as well which is cool if you want something cheap but tasty. The pharmacy is also a minute or 2 walking distance which is good. I stayed on the second floor , and although there was free wifi , it didn't reach my room. I was ok with this because i know the wifi in Guatemala isn't great, with a few exceptions. If i stood in the balcony, i was able to use my phone which was fine.
My room did not have AC - my uncle and mother were fine with this but I hate bugs so I prefer AC (or maybe some screens). Just know, it does get breezy in the area at night so it's not necessary.
The room itself was alright, I did not go in expecting a 5 star hotel, but it was decent. Most of my time was spent out anyway. This hotel is good for one night, maybe two tops. Its cheap and it has the basics - a bed and bathroom. I don't recall if my room had a tv or not. If you plan on staying in the area for longer than a night or two, look for something else more comfortable.

Bargain with the owner. I see complaints about the prices here which all i can say is.. Bargain.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2015

I stayed in April, 2015 when I took a shuttle from the airport to Pana, on my way to San Pedro. Hotel Real Santander was the perfect place to clean up after my flight, and get a feel for life around Lake Atitlan.
My room had wi-fi - a hot shower and a comfortable bed. The markets were right outside and it was great to shop the street vendors and find dinner. Variety of food - even vegan, just a few steps from the door.
The staff was very courteous and helpful - especially the next day, as I headed to the dock for the boat to San Pedro.
I recommend it and will be back!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 September 2015

This is a great hotel and very very clean. We came in Sept. 2015 and it was the start of low season so the manager was willing to negotiate. They came down from the initial price of 350Q to something very reasonable.
The management is very helpful.
Very hot shower! Great place.

Room Tip: negotiate for better price
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2015

We moved here from a noisy place down the street and loved it. We had the top corner room and sat on the deck with our take out chicken or drinking wine and had a fabulous view. Don't get me wrong that is probably the noisiest of all the rooms but it suited us well. We made many friends from that location, management was great, good restaurants near by and rooms were clean with comfy beds.
We walked in off the street and got a good deal....
Will return next trip to GUA

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple