“Nice tasty Indian food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 December 2017 via mobile

We visited Belize City today. While driving from airport to our hotel we asked about good vegetarian food and the driver Collet suggested this restaurant. Fortunately it was well within walking distance from our hotel.
We ordered Saag Paneer and Daal Makhani. Both of these comes with Naan and rice (it was too much food for two of us, as quantity is large)

Items were very tasty. Only to decor was not very good. Prices are okay for the quantity. I would recommend to order one main dish for two people and order extra Naan or rice if needed

Reviewed 16 August 2017 via mobile

Chicken curry dish was good, rice was cooked well - but Sag Paneer was not very good and garlic naan was made a bit unusually, but not bad. Some of the dishes are a bit overpriced but not the whole menu so not a huge deal.

They haven't really got the hang of how to serve though exactly - we asked for a extra 5 minutes to figure out our order, but the waitress came back a couple minutes later and just watched us from over the table as we discussed our order... bit strange really, and when we got the bill it was the same strange affair of the waitress waiting next for me to sort out the cash while she stood waiting... but she was still polite enough and attentive (only 1 other table though so would've been very concerned if they weren't).

Overall, not a bad experience but didn't knock my socks off.

Reviewed 29 July 2017

I visited Sumathi recently with a colleague having been keen to seek out Indian food in Belize City.

Personally I was not disappointed and, having lived in Delhi, it lived up to my expectations for being authentic.
My colleague (not an aficionado of Indian food) found the Chicken Tikka Masala pleasant and not too spicy. I opted for Dhal Makhani and Chicken Tikka and was not disappointed. Portions were large (too big in fact for us to finish).

The downside is the price. I've no objection to paying a fair price for top quality food but I felt this almost amounted to price gouging in a very limited market. The service was unobtrusive (matter of fact some might say) but it was there when I needed it so I can't in fairness criticise it.

The food is very definitely the star in this restaurant but it will be a while before I go back - I need to save up.

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

Everytime I make a visit here in Belize, I always make sure I come to get my Indian food! Known the chef for years and he has kept his food consistent!

1  Thank hema478
Reviewed 8 April 2017

I went with a few customers today because I have been in Belize for a week and craved some Indian food. I did the ordering since they were unfamiliar with Indian food. First we came in and the server just stared at us so we chose seats for ourselves. She brought us menus and asked about drinks, we all just ordered bottled water. I then ordered Onion Bhaji and Samosas for appetizers and Chicken Tikka Masala and Shrimp Biryani + Naan. Very strange, the onion Bhaji was spectacular one of the best I have had. The Samosa was average to below average and the condiments were fine. They offered a mint chutney, pickled carrots and onions. I would have liked an option of a sweeter dip for the bhaji but now I am nit-picking.

The main course came, the Chicken Tikka Masala was good although a strange pinkish shade. The rice was plain white rice and was fine also. The Biryani left something to be desired, it was not good at all. The taste was all wrong, the clove was way to strong and overpowered all of the other spices. The only way I ate it was to cover it in the Tikka Masala gravy. Finally the Naan flaked apart to easy, it was tough to get a good tear off of the main piece and it tasted average.

For that meal it was $102 Belize Dollar

Overall I would probably return since there are not many options for Indian in the area, but since I am only here another week probably not this trip.