“Yearning for Paneer in Belize City and I got it! Thank you Sumathi!”

Sumathi Indian Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 94 Restaurants in Belize City
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 March 2017

I had a craving for Indian food, which I get often after having been there. I read reviews about Sumathi and the latest had not been good. I was in a taxi going to a Chinese restaurant nearby and when I asked the taxi driver about Sumathi, he said it was good. So I went there and am so glad I did. The paneer was delicious and fresh, There was so much food I had take-away which was another whole meal! They served condiments I had never tasted before. The service was fine and they were most helpful calling my taxi man again. Thank you Sumathi for being there!

2  Thank webklan

Reviewed 12 March 2017

We eat a lot of Indian food (my wife is from Bangladesh) and we were happy to find an Indian restaurant in Belize City.

The interior was comfortable and spacious. Unlike most Indian restaurants in the U.S., the menu has some south Indian dishes as well as the usual Punjabi/Marathi fare. The food arrived fairly quickly. Naan bread is included with the entrees, as well as rice.

The food was ok, meaning that it was average. Nothing wrong, nothing special. Prices were fair. The service was a little spotty, as we had to repeat ourselves two or three times, because the waitress seemed like she did not comprehend us. My wife and I speak standard American English. But that was a minor glitch. Everything else was fine.

1  Thank Cortes0505
Reviewed 6 March 2017

The food is good and certainly authentic (I lived in India for 2 years), the décor is cheesy indian restaurant style. Hey Belize isn't big on style anywhere is it?
The customer service - dire. Greeted by long faces and a staff more interested in the Indian soap opera playing (more cheese). Don't expect a warm Namaste here!
Head to Belmopan for that at Raj's Everest restaurant where authentic Indian food can also be found only with a friendly smile and genuine warm hospitality.

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Went there with family and had high expectations. The food was descent but spicy!! So be aware if you go with kids, request mild or not spicy.
Service was just lacking - the front desk lady didn't speak English, while the person who spoke English, walked away into kitchen after we arrived.

Do not get Mango Lassi here...it was pretty bad!!

1  Thank Sanjay C
Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

I go out of my way to leave generous reviews, and to find some redeeming quality concerning the restaurant but ... we went there in spite of some bad reviews and because it's nearby. One review said owners were arrogant, aloof and unresponsive. TRUE. We were "waved" to sit anywhere. There was NO ONE else in the restaurant at 6:05pm. That should have been our sign. We were eventually given menus. Prices were relatively high and the menu appeared to be huge. Nope. We were left long enough to read it over and over. It repeats itself only to take up room on pages. One page repeats itself on the same page. No matter. We were hungry. She finally came back to take our order. No word on specials or suggestions. None. OK. I love lamb and I love spinach. What could go wrong? I received a bucket of cold, green slop with bones in it. I tried to eat it, but totally not edible. I couldn't even pretend. Naan and white rice was ok. My friend's dishes were just so so. But over all, the worst meal and service I've ever had. Ever. A lady poked around in the slop and said there was "meat it there" and acted totally rude. She was really too busy on her phone to be bothered with my concern. Disgusting experience. Would NEVER go back.

2  Thank q1964