“Unreliable company”
Review of Aqua Scuba Belize

Aqua Scuba Belize
More attraction details
Owner description: Aqua Scuba is Belize's Ultimate PADI and SSI Dive and Tour Center. Aqua Scuba is proud to boast the newest and largest dive boats allowing us to accommodate individuals and groups with comfort and safety. We are your one-stop shop for all diving and leisure related activities. Aqua Scuba is affiliated with the Ambergris Caye’s top Resorts and we can assist with air and room reservations. Contact us today to plan your trip to paradise!
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

Aqua Scuba had us getting up at 5am and waiting at the pier at 6am for two days in a row, only to find out our diving trip to the great blue hole is canceled last minute. Twice. We got a full refund and booked with a decent diving agency for the third day. If you have the time and don't mind saving at least three days for only one day of diving, the low price (250usd) is worth the gamble. Else, go with a reliable company.

All reviews
in 11 reviews
"turneffe atoll"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 28 June 2018

I visit San Pedro May 29-June 1. We were excited to book with Aqua Belize as the prices for the excursions were affordable compared to other companies. We booked #1 excursion - Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and #2 excursion - Blue Hole exercusion. We tried to bargain with Eduardo (manager of Aqua Belize) and we agreed upon $300USD for BOTH EXCURSIONS. If we had paid cash, we would save tax. Since my girlfriend and I did not bring enough cash, we agreed to give $150USD CASH and charge $150USD+tax on our mastercard. #1 excursion Hol Chan and shark ray alley were great. Francois (dive master) was amazing as well as the crew.
However, we were on standby for Blue Hole as the weather conditions were not great. Unfortunately, we could not complete Blue Hole excursion and we were quite disappointed. As a result, we connected with Eduardo immediately and he agreed to provide us with a refund. Unfortunately, he only refunded half the money which was NOT What we agreed on. I contacted him via whatsapp multiple times however, his communication became poorer and poorer (ex, ignoring our text messages). I was quite disappointed with this because I did trust him. I learned my lesson. DO NOT PREPAY FOR YOUR EXCURSION AS THIS COULD PUT YOU AT RISK IF YOUR EXCRUSION BECOMES CANCELLED. THIS COMPANY IS NOT RELIABLE. IM AN OPEN WATER DIVER WITH ONLY 8 DIVES UNDER MY BELT AND THEY STILL AGREED TO TAKE ME TO DO THE BLUE HOLE. After reviewing this company AFTER the fact, I realized this was not okay. PLEASE FIND A MORE RELIABLE COMPANY WHO WILL NOT SCAM YOU.

1  Thank Shevaun L
Reviewed 23 June 2018

We weren't even on a tour with these idiots and we still had to endure their horrible service. We were on a tour with an AMAZING scuba/snorkeling group in Hol Chan when these guys came barreling toward our boat. Our guides had to holler at them because we were tied up and they were fixing to hit our boat. The guys on board thought it was funny! They backed up a bit and then started forward again nearly running into some of our divers that were already in the water. IDIOTS! I wouldn't trust this group with the safety of my family! Go somewhere else! Beware!

1  Thank carlislejenny
Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Here's a catalogue of everything that went wrong on our diving trip to the Blue Hole.
- set off at least an hour late
- equipment I'd requested was not right, had to sort this out myself by running to another dive store to borrow theirs
- boat engine broke on the journey out, we had to stop off at an island on the way to fix it (kudos to the crew, they did fix it)
- my regulator was damaged, I did check it before I dived but the faults only became apparent underwater - main second stage breathed very hard then sometimes suddenly released to give me a full breath of air. Octopus was completely broken, it gave me a mouthful of water when I switched to it after struggling with my main one.
- boat ran out of fuel on the way home, the captain had to call for another boat from caye Caulker to bring fuel to us, which took over an hour. The journey home took 4 hours in rough seas.

We searched for the cheapest deal we could get, and we paid the price. The three dives we had were good, but everything surrounding it was poor.

Credit where it is due to the crew we had on the day, they found solutions to every issue that came up, and (mostly) were in good spirits. I feel like the quality of the boat and diving gear they were working with made their jobs much harder than they needed to be.

If you are happy with a wild west style of diving for a cheap price then sure, go with these guys. But if you do, prepare for any eventuality (warm clothes, waterproofs, etc and don't make evening plans!) and for god's sake check your rental equipment before you leave the dock!

1  Thank Fiona_j_e
See more reviews
Reviewed 1 June 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend and I are both advanced divers and we went on a trip of 15 people (13 divers and 2 snorkelers) to the Blue Hole with Aqua Scuba after a lot of booking bureaucracy which I won’t even go into. We chose them simply because they were cheap and the only company going on the days we were on Caye Caulker. The whole experience felt very unsafe, from the rushed dive briefing, to checking dive certifications while speeding over large waves and people threw up in front of the boat. Then 13 of us went down with one dive master and not everyone was even advanced certified, but we still all dove to 136 feet. Which is way beyond the depth of experience of a non advanced diver. One girl had a panic attack and the dive master yelled at her to suck it up because everyone else was fine. I got nitrogen narcosis and luckily my boyfriend noticed and guided me around but had I been alone, I don’t feel confident that the dive master would have noticed. Overall I suppose you get what you pay for, but in the future I will not be cheaping out on safety when it comes to scuba diving. That being said, I found the blue hole itself to be incredibly cool and unique.

Eugenie A, Manager at Aqua Scuba Belize, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2018

Hi we do apologize you claim to have had this experience with us. We referred back to our manifest which on May 13,2018 you went on the blue hole along with your boyfriend Skyler. Just a couple things. There was 15 divers and 2 snorkelers on board. We sent 5 crew which we have all pay slips of proof. Wayne was the captain, Francois and Roy dive masters, Kenton snorkel guide and Ricky the deckhand. We tend to hundreds of divers a month to the blue hole. We have never and would never send ONE Dive master into the blue hole there is always a second dive master regardless of the number of divers. If you experienced nitrogen narcosis why was it not reported to the guides? Why did you not report this to the dive shop upon arrival after the tour? I am not sure how one can yell under water while diving?! Also, our prices for the blue hole are standard as everyone else us$260.00 for the diver from San Pedro and us$225.00 for the diver from Caye Caulker which does not include us$40.00 and subject to 12.5% tax. It’s interesting how trip advisor is quick to allow anyone to write a bad review but a good review is questioned when posted.