“Weekend”
Review of Bistro Bis

Bistro Bis
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro Bis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 3 666 Restaurants in Washington DC
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: New Jersey & North Capitol
Transit: Union Station
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Steve was terrific! We loved the cheese puff pastry, the escargot, the beef bourguignon, the pork chops, the bread, the apple tart or crisp..... we will definitely be back.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Wow! A gem on Capitol Hill! Food was delicious; service was prompt courteous and even comedic when appropriate. Really enjoyed our visir.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

I hate to write reviews with a bad taste, but sometimes I have to.
My wife picked this place because of the reviews. To tell the truth, I don't get some of the TA reviews.This place reminded me of a hotel breakfast rest. The ambiance is horrible. The fabric is so busy and contrast the wood, Horrible.
I waited 10 minutes before anyone came to my table for water. This was a Friday night. I thought it would be jammed. No, many tables empty.
OK, Then the waiter came and said are you ready to order. No introduction, no, can I help you, no, can I talk about the specials ??? And I know I am going to spend $300.00.
OK , French rest, you should expect great bread, right. NO cold bread, whipped butter, REALLY???
Then I ordered French onion soup and wife had beet salad. Finally something good.It was really good , so my hopes were up. Wrong!!!!
The waiter talked me into getting Sweet-water??? All he said was it was delicious. And oh, by the way, it is an organ. ORGAN???.. yup.It was horrible.
The good news is the Beef Bourguignon was fantastic. I will end with the Creme Brûlée. .It was great.
I will not go back. To many other great rest. in area

1  Thank TMJETS
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is the second time in two years I've had dinner at the Bistro Bis French cafe and the meal and service were both outstanding on each ocassion. Last year my wife and I dined here one evening and that experience brought me back on my recent solo trip to D.C. For this meal I had the steak frites with a red wine shallot butter that was mouthwatering. The sauteed mushrooms were a very good side dish and the red Irish draft beer was a perfect match for the meal. I completed the evening with a very satisfying creme brulee' and coffee. The dining rooms present a somewhat formal setting but appropriate casual attire is not out of place. On the evening I visited Bistro Bis, there were a number of diners dressed in formal attire but I did not feel unwelcome or out of place in jeans, a dress shirt and tweed jacket. Prices are a bit high but the meal and service make the experience very worthwhile. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Reviewed 22 February 2018

Went here for lunch during restaurant week. Chose it because it was on the Washingtonian's 2017 best restaurant list, and the menu for restaurant week looked great, good selections as it was a modified version of the a la carte menu, not just a few dishes put together for the week. As a result some more expensive dishes had an extra charge but that was understandable. The restaurant is in the George Hotel near Union Station, so accessible by Metro. It has a separate entrance and is midsized, on two floors, the dining areas divided in a way that gave each section an intimate feel. We were seated in the front bar area with a few tables and several comfortable booths. It was past 2 pm so there were only a few diners. Everything on the menu looked good - this is a place where you could come repeatedly and not have to order the same thing twice. We had the beet salad and pea soup for starters, beef Bourguignon and trout for mains, and chocolate cake and caramelized apple pastry for dessert. Everything was excellent. All dishes beautifully presented and tasted amazing. It’s the kind of meal that you’d want to take time to savor and not rush through. Service was good as well, the courses served with just the right timing. Highly recommended!