“Nice food”

Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter
Reserve with OpenTable
Rosa Mexicano - Penn Quarter is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #212 of 3 463 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Cross street: F Street NW
Transit: Gallery Place - Chinatown
Description: Just west of our nation's Capitol, Rosa Mexicano Penn Quarter location is situated in the exceptionally restored 1924 Hecht’s building across from the Verizon Center. As the first Rosa Mexicano to open outside of New York City in December 2003, this D.C. location remains true to its roots by delivering authentic Mexican cuisine in a stylish, festive atmosphere. The interior features eye-catching details that include 14-foot wraparound windows, a spacious bar and lounge area, and a tequila bar offering a wide range of premium selections and margaritas. Traditional folk crafts have also been incorporated throughout the restaurant, most notably in a dramatic series of illuminated pilasters featuring festive Mexican masks mounted on the wall.It’s a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds.
Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

I had dinner at Rosa Mexicano and the food was very nice. The place is a bit crowded and noisy. The service was slow but friendly. The prices were OK.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 049)

10 - 14 of 1 049 reviews

Reviewed 14 March 2018

I've been dining at Rosa Mexicano for over 10 years - it is very reliable - the food is good - it's 25$ a plate Mexican and that guacamole they make table-side - a concept I am way over - but it is of course fresh and delicious. My SO always gets the chicken enchiladas suiza - which are excellent. Their menu is very clearly labeled Gluten Free and they offer a vast number of GF dishes.
This restaurant is in the absolute heart of Chinatown - it is loud and never not busy - they gave us the quietest table they had and by the conclusion of the meal, service was in full swing - the place runs like a fine tuned machine though - and the service is excellent - you will wait for drinks - they are busy!! But be prepared -if you want quiet elegance in Chinatown you need to pay more!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Tonight’s meal between the games was Mexican. The restaurant is right across from the arena. Although busy, I liked that we were not packed in. My meal was the Carnitas and it was Good but a bit on the dry side as presented. My wife has a shrimp dish that she said was excellent. Our friends enjoyed their meals so I’d go 4.5 if I could. To me the margaritas were OK - not the best but nothing bad. The service was fine. I’d go back and select a different dish.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

Its just across street where theater is, came to have late snack service is fast order sangria but its not good for me i have better one somewhere else, the water taste like tap water with taste of chlorine i order the quesadilla tasty and good my sister order the empanada and she very pleased, the atmosphere was cheerful were seated near the window , very pleased

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

3 adults, one 16-month old. Very friendly and accommodating. Margaritas are pricey, but excellent-made with good tequila. Quacamole very good. My chicken breast rolled up with huitlacoche and Dept fried-good, though not incredibly distinctive. Wife’s carnitas were subtle but excellent. High chair, no fuss. Pretty interior, very visible on a street corner.