“Fast food al tiramisu”
Review of Al Tiramisu

Al Tiramisu
Reserve with OpenTable
Al Tiramisu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #127 of 3 719 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$35 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Dupont Circle
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is the first time I've ever done a review but I've been spurred on by service that was so - too - fast that we were done and dusted for a three course meal in an hour, Having your plate scooped up while you're still chewing is not my idea of a great dining experience - or even an average one.

To be fair, the restaurant is relatively inexpensive and for the price, a couple of the dishes were pretty good. But for a restaurant that pitches itself as traditional fine dining (experienced waiters, tablecloth service, European menu) it was more like a fast food restaurant. If you're in a hurry before going to a show it'd be fine but if you're looking for a relaxed meal (which is what the atmosphere of the venue suggests) you're not going to enjoy service so speedy you feel it's all about maximising customer throughput.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 4 November 2018

Expectations are surely quite dangerous : we were staying on Dupont Circle, and for our "Last Supper" on this, our latest visit to DC, some Reviews of the nearby "Al Tiramisu" seemed to suggest dining there on our last night might actually be a highlight : it was, to be fair, actually "Good", but certainly not "Excellent" or "Outstanding".

"Al Tiramisu" is easy to find, on P Street, just off Dupont Circle, and down the Street from "Second Story Books" (worth a visit) - while the outside is distinctly unimpressive, inside (as we discovered) is compact, but very comfortable.

We had pre-booked by "Open Table", and were courteously - but not warmly - received, and brought to what seemed a pretty good Table. Our (main) Server was an impressive, enthusiastic (quite high-volumed) guy called John - maybe trying a bit too hard, and certainly far too loudly!

What came across to us very quickly from John was that "Al Tiramisu" is big into "Specials", and John took noticeable pride in reciting the night's offerings. For "starters" we went with the Goats' Cheese Salad and the Smoked Duck Breast - both reasonably good, but no more than that ; our "Mains" - Risotto with Lobster & Veal Chop were somewhat better, which we appreciated.

To accompany our Food, we enjoyed a quite good Bottle of "Falanghina", while M also had a Glass of "Nero d'Avola". Service remained attentive throughout our Meal.

What disappointed most, to be absolutely upfront, , is that much of the Food lacked flavor or distinction - something that genuinely surprised us.

Our Check/Bill was not inexpensive for what was an extremely ordinary, and quite disappointing, Food & Wine experience : $ 184-80 before a Tip/Gratuity, (which we did indeed add at a reasonable level, it should be said).

Overall : Quite Disappointing!

Reviewed 22 October 2018

What a great experience. Restaurant is quaint and intimate. Our waiter was perhaps one of the best that I have ever had! Food was exceptional and creative - extremely fresh. Service was spot on. Would highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 20 October 2018

Not far from Hotel Kimpton Palomar. Small, cosy feel. Good service, good food. Not large portions which is a pleasant surprise in US. Typically expensive city restaurant. $150 for 2 mains, 2 desserts and bottle wine.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

Well let me begin by saying I feel as if I grew up in NYC, my teens 20's 30's and I'm talking about the Italian restaurants that I dined with for so many years there.... well the top ones were incredibly the best I had ever imagined food could be. The reason I am pointing this out is... when I ventured into Al Tiramusu -- This small intimate space I immediately felt that I had returned to the old BEST restaurants in New York. I hadn't had that feeling for a long while. The staff was very attentive, the pastas were amazing, the pappardelle with mushroom ragu and the pasta with the clams which we ordered was just what we had hoped for ... it was the best..... extra delicious... well when they came to our table with the most gorgeous platter of fresh fish.. what a beautiful sight..Do not forget to order your glass of Limoncello.. So extra refreshing we thought! Desserts are good too. I didn't see George... Did you see him?