“I love the atmosphere”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighbourhood: U Street Corridor
Reviewed 24 June 2018

I was concerned when I got there because I don't eat beef or pork. I was reassured to find out that they served veggie dogs and turkey burgers. I realize they are famous for their "half smokes" but are prepared for those of us that don't eat them. The veggie dog with with their famous chili was very good. The atmosphere was as enjoyable as the meal! The jukebox played great music, the staff was very accommodating and the crowd (and I do mean CROWD) was made up of very friendly people! You must visit this historic restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1 994)

32 - 36 of 1 994 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

Solid restaurant and management. You go for the experience but then you keep coming back for the delicious food. I can’t say that this would be a must for every DC trip but once or twice a year is about right.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Love this place. Been around for over 50 years and seems like not much has changed.
Great variety of dinner foods including veggie burgers, turkey burgers, chili dogs and half smokes.
Since this was a first time here I had the classic turkey dog all, which means with chili sauce and onions. We shared and order of large fries. All were excellent.
I almost tried the spicy half smoked but found the chili sauce to be spicy enough.
A must do DC urban experience.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Gotta admit, for over 20 years I wanted to check this spot out even when the neighbourhood was not a safe place. I finally had the chance and sat at the stand o try out their famous original half-smoke chilli dog. The product is decent in size and I was stuffed when I ordered the combo with a coke and a side of fries. Service is great, the counter staff are funny and all minds of characters come in and out of this place. Honestly, It was the best chilli dog I have ever had. Speice and meat consistency was great along with the onions and mustard that I also asked for. What I missed out was their drinks hearing after that the cherry was popular (maybe next time). Do yourself a favour and check out this DC institution, you will not regret it.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

We had the chili hot-dog and the burger! While the hot-dog was good, the burger was even better!
Why 4 points, we were 4 with 2 kids and had to find a place in the main restaurant (which was full, and I presume as always) where we could have been accommodated in the back room, much bigger and 1/2 empty!
Nevertheless, a must in DC!