“Completly excellent hamburger joint”

Thunder Burger & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Thunder Burger & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #191 of 3 537 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: US$29 - US$31
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 31st St
Transit: Thunder Burger is located approximately .75 miles from both the Foggy Bottom and Rosslyn Metro stations. The Georgetown Metro Connect, the Circulator Bus and the "30"s" Metrobuses all stop within 1/2 block of the restaurant, in front of the Georgetown Barnes & Noble (east-bound) or at the corner of M and 31st St (west-bound).
Reviewed 11 March 2017

When visiting the USA, you really have to eat one hamburger. Why not here; it's one of the 100 best hamburgers in the states, according to some site.

They really were very tasty. So was the beer, and the service was perfect, friendly and casual and funny.

The NBA game was on the TV with the sound on. The place is relaxed.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

We were planning on going somewhere else for dinner in the Georgetown area, but the restaurant was booked for a private event. Instead we ventured into Thunder Burger and had a delightful experience. Everyone was impressed by the ambiance, but the food was the real star!

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

My family celebrates birthdays by going out to dinner my son turned 17 and he loves burgers, no matter how fancy the restaurant is if there's a burger on the menu he'll order it. So I decided to try this place out for him. It's a tiny spot, we had a party of 10 and the host never mentioned the inability to accommodate a party of the size. Finding a comfortable seating arrangement for us was a bit of a fiasco which was confusing to me since I made a reservation a week in advance. Nonetheless we were seated, the burgers were good but average, I ordered mine medium well and it was definitely cooked well done. The side orders had mixed reviews, I ordered the regular fries which were not good at all, the sweet potato fries were good, and the coleslaw and salad I was told was pretty good.

We brought cupcakes from outside, the host offered to take our cupcakes back to the kitchen to hold for us, however, after we finished our meals the waiter advised that we would not be able to serve them due to health code laws and also the revenue we were taking away from the store. It sounded like BS to me. I was told if we wanted to eat them I had to pay $2.50 per person (I guess health code laws don't matter for a fee). As I mentioned earlier we celebrate a lot, several times a year every year. Never once have I come across this issue at any other restaurant.
I didn't make a fuss but I was very unhappy with the experience overall.

On another note I have to say that our waiter Paul was awesome, attentive, and he really did try to accommodate our needs to the best of his ability.

I can see how this place is cool for a quick beer and a burger also the happy hour specials are great. Personally given the whole experience I would not eat here again or recommend to others.

Reviewed 19 February 2017

We stopped in here on a recent trip to DC. Both my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our burgers and the happy hour drink specials, but the fries were to die for!!

Reviewed 18 February 2017

This review is definitely overdue. I was in Georgetown for a jazz show and didn't want to wait and eat at the show. My fiend and I were literally walking until we found a restaurant that looked interesting. We initially walked past this place. I looked back and was like burger and bar, how can anyone possibly mess up a burger. So we decided to go in , and I'm glad we did.

At first glance of the menu we decided to go with calamari (praying they didn't bread them to death) and ribs for appetizers. The calamari was really good (the sauce wasn't anything to run home about) not salty or too heavily breaded. The ribs were......amazing. I think they must marinate them in wine or something. The sauce is hard to explain but kick (not spicy) but something you would have to try, I assure you they are some of the best ribs Ive ever had. They were also falling off the bone. A+ for the ribs.

As we were eating I noticed a sign that mentioned the restaurant being on a top 100 list (or something to that degree). So after watching some burgers delivered to other tables we decided to split a burger (the portions are generous). For the life of me I cant remember the name of the burger, but it had some caramelized unions and a glob of cheese in the middle. OMG yummy.

The food was so good I went back two weeks later and had the full entrée of ribs and my friend had a burger that had a layer of pulled pork on it. I had a bite and it was filling and tasty. I wished I lived closer cause this would definitely be my go to spot as they are open late too ! If you have the opportunity def stop by this place.