“Averagely good”

Platz
Ranked #95 of 1 058 Restaurants in Tallinn
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The concept behind Platz, a restaurant located in the heart of Tallinn lining the Rotermann Square's main plaza, is to be a bistro- style restaurant in the centre of Tallinn. Platz is characterized by friendly and warm professional service and local Estonian cuisine. The food can be described as based on fresh seasonal ingredients, and accessible to palates. We await everyone who wants to feel relaxed. We offer customers taste experiences and professional service, and want no one to experience disappointment with the food and wine.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

At the weekend I’m again hungry like the wolf for the next restaurant experience. At Platz restaurant I used to go time after time for business lunch or in a hurry before a movie. Then, 7 years ago, impressions not good: heavy, too salty, fat dishes, salads with hair, so I gave up. Last year I decided just to sip coffee and recently – ordered whole dinner. So, how Platz can surprise now?

Interior as far as I remember hasn’t changed much. Even tables didn’t move, but (live?) flowers and trees are put in tiny corners and some landscape paintings appeared. Atmosphere resembles a lot places in the Old Town. Here come drawbacks (and I count to 10 not to explode): clean polished cutlery is put again on a naked table. I don’t understand it. In the hall rules darkness, so more likely it’s a dark dining evening. The menu had to be read in dangerous proximity with a candle or with phone flashlight. Imagine how you had to peer in this darkness into a thin black font of the menu on brown paper. Napkins – cheap paper. I understand, casual restaurant without tablecloth etc, but if memory serves right, textile napkins were earlier.

Service. The waiter was polite though he first didn’t speak about dishes, advised nothing and hasn’t asked the final How did you like it. Alas, I’m obliged to write full opinion in the blog then. It seemed, he observed his tables, however didn’t fill my empty beer glass. All OK, I can handle myself. By the evening the waiter unexpectedly got talkative. I guess he noticed my numerous attempts to catch a good shot of dishes and constant notes taking. I will keep low profile from now on!

Food. It was difficult to choose: I think Platz decided to satisfy everyone with their menu, but it seemed boring for me. Burgers, Caesar, shrimps, mussels, dishes with French fries garnishes… what to order? On the Internet I have seen first-class food photos, so hoped for a good “catch” even at the casual choice.

Bread with butter in a metal basket appeared in a second. Bread tasted like nuts and sun dried tomatoes, but personnel didn’t boast of it, too shy or had no time? Butter, like sour cream with fennel, wasn’t pleasant. Usually such simple thing is absolute hit, yet here it wasn’t. Plain whipped butter with salt sprinkle would do.

Picked Beef tartare – egg yolk, pickled silver onion, mustard mayonnaise and
shimeji mushrooms. Haven’t seen largely cut meat for a long time – OK, let will be. All dish beauty was hidden under parsley and it’s better to chop it before serving. Why pearl onions were here, I wonder? I ‘m more into chopped option, sorry. What I found pleasant and most memorable, a very hot sauce.

Duck confit – polenta cake, braised red cabbage and berries with mulled wine sauce – a really Christmas dish. Month passed and our thoughts are still floating in holidays. The duck tasted good, was a bit dry, not so similar to confit. It’s useless to complain about colour, because all cats are grey in the dark. I didn’t understand maize polenta, that crackling baked semolina porridge with greens. With a duck there was no wish to crunch in the teeth like with sand. Not mine type of garnish. Cabbage with berries – was very very nice, home-like, sweet and pleasant.

Chocolate mousse – salted caramel, poached cherries and raspberry sorbet. Fine mousse, foamy, airy, touched from above by caramel – cover with this joy much more, please. The tray under mousse can actually be eaten – it’s a dark chocolate. Funny me, but in darkness I thought it was plastic. Suggest putting more white chocolate under sorbet, so it won’t spread so fast. Cherry was missing. I complained about to the waiter, because he knew menu by heart, but here in kitchen, probably, someone just forgot berries. Apologies were brought – an additional cup of a cappuccino.

Finally, again I see mistake with a drink: guys, why you pour beer in a wine glass? Perhaps, you can’t find aesthetic, when girl holds rough long proper beer glass?

Sum. The average bill per person is 30 EUR without drinks. Despite all remarks and kind wishes I put 3+ only for clear dish tastes and extra hospitality of personnel at the end of a evening. Yes, impressions became certainly better, comparing 7 and 1 year ago. However don’t trust photos on the Internet, especially, on the cooks’ pages. Expectation and reality played a dirty trick with me.

Interior – 4/5
Service – 4/5
Food – 3/5
Overall impression – 4/5

Reviewed 17 March 2018

We got a excellent service and nice food. And wine was refreshing, erved professionaly. Cozuatmosphere, not crowded.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Very nice and calm place and a very friendly, available and dynamic personnel. We drank very good beers:wines and appreciated our tasty dishes.

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We very much enjoyed the food and drinks. We had a special menu with drinks and everything included. Starters were nice - the chicken liver pate was creamy and very tasty! As a main, we had Estonian pike-perch! Excellent fish, really tasty. The service was really really professional, yet friendly and warm. Would recommend!

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Huge group; great service and amazing meal. This place does a great job and I'd come back on an instant.