All reviews training hotel wellness centre breakfast and dinner via secret escapes anti stress massage lake bled buffet style hotel is modern health spa pushed together star service hotel is excellent shower head we stayed half board bus station mini bar staff on reception
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

I don’t usually give bad reviews, because I tend to do plenty of homework before selecting a hotel. I’m surprised this hotel came so highly rated.

Many things came together that I simply can’t overlook, even though I’m usually very forgiving:

1/ Cleanliness: Long hair (see photo) in several spots in the toilet. Clearly not ours since neither of us have that length of hair. It’s all over, including the sink hole of the bathtub.

2/ Design of bathtub: I’m not nitpicking here. Look at the shower head (photo) and shower screen. There’s no way to take a proper bath without splashing water all over the room. We already tried positioning the shower head sideways and standing behind the screen. The floor gets very slippery. Definitely a safety hazard since my Wife is pregnant.

3/ Hairdryer: see photo. It looks like it’s missing the head. All I have is the hose. It’s almost comical if not for the messed-up-head-of-wet-hair we both have now. Ok fine, it’s still comical

4/ Telephone: you’re thinking, maybe I should have called room service to complain. I tried, the telephone instructions were in Slovene. I tried dialing the standard “0”, and got some machine response in Slovene. Searched the room, no instructions on how to get help. This is supposed to be an international hotel? I had to Google for their reception phone number and Skype call them.

5/ Housekeeping: Housekeeping doubled up as wake up call. We were abruptly woken up when Housekeeping stepped into our room immediately after a few quick knocks. Well it worked, I’m wide awake now writing this review. Thanks.

Any pros? When I Skype called to ask for ice, they came up really quickly with a gigantic bag of ice.

Certainly disappointed at the hotel and how TripAdvisor managed to fail me this one time. I suspect it’s the “secret escapes” (discount holiday at a secret location) artificially jacking up ratings. If I’m paying full price, I expect full service, and perhaps a full hairdryer. Not half.

Stayed: September 2018
1  Thank roystontay
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Traveled here for a wedding as a couple. Getting to the hotel was easy! there is a transfer desk directly on your left as soon as you walk out towards the exit of the arrivals area, which costs roughly 12 euros PP. The views are lovely when transferring from the airport. Getting to the hotel was a breeze and the only niggle was the road outside the hotel was being relayed (i believe this is completed now) however the transfer driver was a gem and tried to get us as close to the hotel entrance as possible. The entrance to the hotel is extremely clean and the staff where very welcoming. The room was not the biggest but was very clean and we were happy with the views from the balcony. There is a mini bar that was fully stock with all sorts. Even though we paid for a double room the beds are singles pushed together and with separate duvets (my partner and I didn't mind enough to complain) we both had a good night sleep regardless. The hotel was completely silent during the night. Breakfast was the normal European breakfast with meats, cheese and croissants. There is also crepes, toast, bacon, sausages, cereal etc and was an all round good selection! the location of the hotel was really good and walking distance to lake bled is less than a few minutes if that. Woulld fully recommend and have already to friends and family. Will 100% stay here again and hopefully sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Room No 300 and above have been recently redecorated
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed at the Astoria for a week. Such a friendly place from checking in, to checking out at 5 in the morning. The staff were always polite and really happy to help. Food was plentiful and always tasty and varied, you will not go hungry. The rooms were really clean and the air con kept them nice and cool. A beautiful resort that is easy to explore, the local busses run regularly and are easy to use. My only suggestion would be to provide tea and coffee at the end of the evening meal for those who would like it.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2018

We stayed here for 5 days in a family room with our two teenagers. We arrived at 5 in the afternoon and were lucky enough to have the last available spot in the garage under the hotel. Reception was friendly and check in was fast. Room was spacious and clean. Bed for the children was a couch bed, so a bit smaller and less comfortable than the regular bed. Room could be split in half by sliding doors. Bath room was clean and big. Room was at the end of the hallway, so wifi wasn't always consistent.

Restaurant was excellent, we really enjoyed the food. Several meat dishes, fish, pasta, potatoes, salad, local dishes etc. Maybe less suitable for smaller children (no pizza, fries, hamburgers, macaroni etc.). Breakfast had show cooking stand for eggs and pancakes.

Hotel was in a good quiet location, close to the lake and the bus station. However, when we stayed there the road was closed, so don't know how quiet it really is under normal circumstances.

Finally, nice feature was that we were allowed to the rent mountain bikes for free (for one day). We didn't use the welness, but looked nice from the outside.

Very nice hotel with friendly service. We were actually wondering why it wasn't a four star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2018

Wow,this hotel is more 4 star than 3.
This is about our 4th hotel on our small group tour and it’s the best by far.
Breakfast is excellent with huge variety and staff are friendly and attentive
The dinner also has excellent choice and well presented.
Rooms are decent size and I found nothing too much effort for staff when asked a request
Wish we were staying longer but thoroughly enjoying our 3 day stay