All reviews cheap place gym breakfast stars beds poland guests
Reviewed 2 August 2018

Recently, on short notice, my wife and I traveled to Poland for an official visit. We made the reservation via Expidia.com at the Focus Hotel Katowice-Chorzow for one week at the end of the month of May. Upon our arrival we were informed that the central cooling system was out of order, but that spare parts had already been ordered. From my travel experiences this is typically an issue that is resolved quickly at a hotel and did not raise any alarms for us at check-in. We also made a reservation to host a meeting at the hotel with a large group of attendees and had already sent out official invitations.
Regrettably, the room temperature was 28 0C [82.40F] and despite a very long and arduous International journey, we had an extremely uncomfortable and sleepless night. As I pointed out, the purpose of our trip to Poland was in an official capacity that required formal daily attire; having to dress properly while exhausted from the heat and being continuously sweaty presented a real challenge.
We complained the following day and the desk manager offered another room, with basically the same temperature. At that moment, we requested a fan for our room as a temporary solution. Unfortunately, this situation continued until our departure.
We feel that the agreement between guest and hotel was not fulfilled as it should have been. We paid the full requested price for the lodging and where deprived of the basic standards we expected, including air-conditioning as advertised on the hotel’s website. We also the paid full asking price for the meeting we held at the hotel and full asking price for all attendee breakfasts. We asked the hotel to grant some compensation for our troubles and were told that it is only at the discretion of the hotel manager. Unfortunately, we couldn’t find him during our stay. These circumstances made me question the Focus Hotel’s Chain’s attitude toward its guests.
After my return to United States I found the email address of the hotel manager and voiced my displeasure with the hotel’s attitude. The answer I got was astonishing. Instead of facing the facts of their shortcomings, we got an answer that you may expect straight from some “backward country”, which Poland is not. First, the Hotel manager explained that the problem was entirely the fault of the company making and servicing the AC unit. Secondly, because we booked the room through Expedia.com, we should look for compensation there. And finally, the hotel was willing however to offer us one free night and one free breakfast provided that the offer will be used before the end of this year.
I can imagine, that if this problem had not occurred at all or was resolve quickly and in a professional manner our stay could have been agreeable. The hotel had plenty of opportunities to grand us at least some discount for our sleeping rooms, the meeting we organized at the hotel (which required an oversized fan to be running the entire time throughout our event), or potentially provided complimentary breakfasts. Nevertheless, even if we are dissatisfied with the action of the hotel’s management, we must admit that the hotel’s staff was courteous and attentive.
Our guests at the meeting (with oversized fan running all time) informed us that there are quite a few other hotels with good reputations in this area. Lesson, do your homework before signing up.

Date of stay: May 2018
Reviewed 31 July 2018

Arrived in this Hotel late evening @2330. Perhaps this was the last flight arriving into Katowice so the check in was full of people. The check in desk was extremely slow and the English language was poor. Decided to stay in this cheap place because had to stay only to sleep. Hotel was pretty new in a new area.There was nothing around . Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was just OK.
Will not mind staying here again for the price in future if it is only to sleep.

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed 19 July 2018

The rooms was not ready, some of us waited at the lobby long time
the other rooms did not had enough beds ready
the crow does not speak English
the breakfast was good but
do not eat in the restaurant the food is expensive and not tasty small dishes full of oil

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my partner for 2 nights mid October 2017 on a bed & breakfast basis. What a find it turned out to be. Admittedly it's in quite a poor, scruffy area called Chorzow Batory, close to Chorzow itself but I simply cannot fault this hotel at all. Completely refurbished in the past couple of years, it is clean, quiet and modern. All fixtures and fittings are of a high, well- finished standard. Our room was huge! The bed (2 x twin, pushed together) was huge! The bathroom was huge! So large, in fact that there was room for a lovely bath, as well as a good-sized, separate shower cubicle. The breakfast offered a wide choice of hot and cold, Polish or western-style and would cater for most tastes, I would have thought. There is also a nice, modern bar, although we did not use this. There is also a gym and steam room but, again we did not use either during our short stay. The staff were helpful and friendly. We shall definitely return.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2017 via mobile

It was much more than we expected, for the price we paid. Room was clean, bed was super comfortable. Breakfast was very good :)
Staff was very friendly at our late arriving, made extra bed for kids.
Recommendations!