Howard's End Manor
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Grand Hotel(Goodwood)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Protea Hotel Cape Town Mowbray(Cape Town Central)
  • Breakfast included
Century City Hotel(Century City)
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsfamily visitnew ownerspleasant place to staystayed longerthe ownertable mountainwestern capenear futureb bgreat hostsbreakfast was deliciousat homewarm welcomeguest housemartinmanorairport
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 November 2015

We've often stayed at Howard's End when visiting Cape Town, originally because it was close to the Grand West Casino Complex, but, as time progressed, it really because our first go-to-place-of-choice because it is like going home.

Bronwen Dawes, the owner, goes out of her way to see to it that her guests are comfortable and happy. Nothing is too much effort. On my previous visit, during the Fifa World Cup in 2010, I took ill with what we originally thought was flu (but turned out to be bronchitis), Bronwen went to the pharmacy especially to get me some medicine because I wasn't able to drive myself.

Our most recent visit was this past weekend when some friends and I attended a huge Herbalife event, the African Extravaganza. We arrived late, but Bronwen was there to meet us with a hug and a warm, welcoming smile. We opted not to have breakfast, but I did ask for filter coffee which Bronwen kindly brought to our room.

On the subject of breakfast - Bronwen rises early every day to prepare her guests' breakfast herself. Bacon, Eggs, Fruit Salad, Yoghurt, Cereal, Croissants, Toast - there is enough to choose from and get you started for a day of sightseeing.

The rooms are large and roomy, with some overlooking the swimming pool and the garden, and those inside the house have a view of Table Mountain. The rooms are service daily by Bronwen's trusted employee Lina, who is also willing to cater to any needs the guests may have.

After a long day of (in our case) business training, or sightseeing, the hot water and good water pressure make child's play of a relaxing bath or reviving shower. The beds are comfortable with good quality linen and every bed is equipped with an electric blanket to ward off the winter chill. Each room is also equipped with a refreshment station that contains the mandatory coffee, tea, sugar and milk, but which also has hot chocolate and cup-of-soup for those guests looking for something different.

Centrally located in the leafy suburb of Pinelands, Howard's End is the perfect base for tourists wanting to do day trips in and around the Peninsula. Bronwen is also happy to assist with transport to and from the airport for guests arriving by plane.

I recommend Howard's End to all my friends and family, because it truly is my home away from home.

Room Tip: Room 7 is an ideal family room - sleeps 3.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Priscilla F
Reviewed 5 June 2015

I stayed at Howard's End in March 2015 on a family visit to Cape Town. I was sad to leave at the end of my stay. It is a beautiful Cape Dutch house, clean, well-run and the perfect location for me. I had an upstairs room with a huge patio with mountain views. I entertained family there one summer's evening. The owner, Bronwen is very welcoming and helpful. I've just booked to return at the end of the year. You cant 'give a better recommendation than that!

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms lead straight onto a beautiful pool, so not suitable for small children.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank ExLibris98
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Howards End Manor from 11/20/13 to 11/27/13. The original reservation was made through Birding Africa. I knew it was going to be a special place after writing to the owner, Bronwen Dawes prior to our arrival. She answered my questions promptly and with even more information than I would have known to ask. For example, they have very fat prongs on their electrical plugs not included on most travel adapters so she offered to let us borrow some plug adapters while staying there. Once we arrived her cordiality, attention and helpfulness went above and beyond. The accommodation was clean and spacious, breakfast was plentiful and delicious and the location within safe walking distance of a shopping mall that had multiple restaurants, shops and ATM's (very helpful when you don't have a car). The manor house has a thatched roof of the Dutch cape style and was very picturesque. A small park across the street lends quiet and tranquility to the neighborhood. There is internet access and laundry service available. We easily made multiple day trips from this location to points all over the cape- the Western cape, a pelagic tour out of Simonstown, Cape of Good Hope, Kirstenbosch Gardens, Hottentots-Holland Mtns. A quick cab ride to downtown Cape Town will link you with a bus tour line that allows you to move about the entire city, including Table Mountain and close suburban beaches with an ability to hop on/ hop off throughout the day. We'd certainly go back and stay there again. Thanks, Bronwen

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MargaretCS_13
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We traveled as a family (theres 5 of us) on late december/january of 2012-2013. After a lifetime of travelling i can sincerely say I've never had such a great experience as in Howards End Mannor. Bronwen and the rest of the staff where so friendly and welcoming, always payed attention to us and gave us the best tips for travelling in south africa. It felt like home away from home. I really recommend this hotel and i sincerely hope we´ll travel to cape town some other time to visit, for i now consider them my friends.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 April 2013

My bridesmaid and I booked in here for the night before the wedding. Bronwen was so very accomodating to us when we needed to check in later than usual (all the pre-wedding stuff to plan) and the night before my wedding couldnt have gone smoother!

The beds were super comfy, the pillows almost matched my own at home (they might even have been better!) and the room was so cosy, clean and well put together. I loved the little touches like the tea and coffee box, and the beautiful sunny bathroom with the awesome-sized shower!

The next morning we woke and went downstairs for breakfast. Nothing was spared here, even for my vegetarian bridesmaid! It was amazing and we loved having Bronwen chat with us while we waited.I thought I wouldnt be too hungry on my wedding day, but the breakfast was too scrumptous to pass up!

I would, have, and will continue to recommend this bed and breakfast to anyone who needs to stay in Cape Town. Pinelands is so very central to everything you need and Bronwen truly makes it feel like a home-away-from-home!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends