Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge
Agoda.com
All reviewscar parkmountain lodgetugela fallssentinel peakspectacular viewselectric blanketshot waterhiking trailsstaff was friendlyamazing locationday hikelong weekendrooms are cleanspent two nightsstarting pointlast visithigh clearance
Reviewed 9 September 2016

Visited the resort/lodge in a weekend on my 40th Birthday, after crossing the free state you get into a location out of no where and all of a sudden the car climbs up on on into a narrow road up to the highest lodge of South Africa at about 7000 feet . The lodge is very simple with nearly no extravagant amenities apart from the fabulous location just infront of great Amphitheater visible by even a 100 mm lens close by rocks. Breakfast and dinner was nice. I stayed in Hikers Cabin very basic with two beds in one room and two common bathroom and entrance door in a 5 feet narrow cliff. Rooms were not well maintained and needs substantial house keeping attention to provide a freshness in even in basic rooms. We were also driven in 4x4 to Sentinel peak by the gentlemen who is very courteous to stop at right location for photography (attached). The WIFI is chargeable at R30 per 100mb. MTN network connection is poor. Overall the place is fantastic location however the place needs solid renovation then it will unmatched.

Room Tip: Hikers cabin ask for room facing the cliff
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank spc1976
EleanorMuller, Public Relations Manager at Witsieshoek Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2017

Thank you for your review. Since your visit we have put in significant upgrades to the Hikers Cabin that has, we have been told, really improved the guest experience. We quite agree with your observation that this is a photographer's paradise.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

Stayed in lodge number 1. Had to keep room door locked as it was very windy and the rooms are all exposed and not sheltered from elements.
Evening meals were buffet as were breakfasts.
Lovely warm fire in dining area
Have to pay for wifi and only works in main building, not in rooms
Scenery fantastic

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2016

I visited as I did the Tugela Falls hike over the last weekend and I have to say the location and views are absolutely fantastic.

I stayed in a chalet which was beautifully decorated and while they can be a little cold, they have gone out of their way to cater for this i.e. multiple heaters, electric blankets and good, thick curtains, etc.

The food was fantastic - I had a rump steak with vegetables. The breakfast has limited options, but what is available is great.

Unfortunately the one area that Witsieshoek falls seriously short, and which is probably the most important is service. The day that I did the hike there happened to be no electricity (thanks to Eskom) and I was told that it won't be an issue as they have a generator. Turns out the generator is small and only used for cooking meals so for the whole day there was no electricity and the water was turned off too. Not only was I misinformed about the fact that there would be electricity, when I complained to the Manager, Jan, he was arrogant and not apologetic at all. He had the audacity to tell me that all the other guests were understanding, thereby implying that I am unreasonable.

Fantastic location and chalets but sort your service out!

Room Tip: Ask for a chalet!
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2016

This is our third visit to Witsieshoek mountain lodge and again we were overwhelmed by the stunning views on the Amphitheater and Sentinal. This is one of our most favorate spots in the whole world. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and make you feel at home. The only negative thing about this lodge is that the builders of the new rondawels should try some other trade because building is just not their thing. The tiles were not sealed, so is already dirty, some the lightswitches are the wrong way round, there are electric blankets on the beds, but not enough sockets, etc. Fix those things and this will be 5-star accommodation. The internet reception is almost non-existing.

Room Tip: The rondawels do not have a view on the Sentinel. Ask for a chalet.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2016 via mobile

You need to visit Witsieshoek at least once in your life. Especially when it snows. One can reach the top by 4x4 easily and be rewarded with a stunning view of the Sentinel etc.
This is also a great place for birders.
The dinner we ordered was priced well and was terrific.

The not so good: Managers. Introduce yourself at least when new guests arrive. At least ask the guests of they enjoyed their stay.
I will suggest putting in bulbs in the rooms. Not one of the two bedside lights had bulbs in. There was also a water leakage problem in the newly renovated bathroom. The floor was wet when we arrived. Perhaps check the rooms before guests book in.
When we booked in I was asked if I made a deposit. Hummm I paid in full 3days prior our stay. This is not on.
The breakfast that is included in the price was BASIC. Bacon. Viennas. Tamato. Eggs. With toast if you ask. In total contrast when comparing their great dinners.

Ask when booking for the new chalets. They at least have a small balcony to enjoy the magnificent view.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple