For one of my parents' milestone wedding anniversaries we decided to get all of the siblings together & take a trip - 2 parents in their 50s and 5 20-somethings consisting of children & their significant others. We had not all traveled extensively together before - and each of us had different ideas of what a "vacation" should look like. We chose Costa Rica and Casa dos Rios hoping that it would offer a little of something for everyone - and we were not disappointed! It's hard to capture in a paragraph all of the magic that we experienced that week, but to hit some of our favorite highlights:
- Each and every one of us loved the ability to disconnect from the modern world & seep down into the surrounding nature and pura vida lifestyle. We went to bed after the sunset & rose with the sunrise. From naps in the hammocks, to an outdoor shower, to enjoying a cup of coffee watching the sunrise from the yard at the edge of the beach… it was like we had found the "rhythm" of life that is so easy to lose back home. It's what I personally miss the most
- Lots of wildlife both on the road to the house and in the yard itself. We saw all 4 types of monkeys crossing the yard alone! 2 of us went on a guided hike of Corvocado National Park, just 45 minutes north of the house, and we saw even more wildlife there with the help of the excellent guide Melanie reserved for us (we were amazed at how much more wildlife he saw compared with the other guides we observed!)
- The hosts, Kim and Melanie, as all the reviews point out, are excellent. Melanie's meals are delicious and both are more than happy to answer any questions you may have and plan any excursions in which you wish to partake. They definitely take the stress out of planning a trip.
- There was no lack of things to do if one was looking for adventure. At the home alone there were 2 great waterfalls nearby to which we hiked, 2 kayaks available, surf boards to rent (we had great waves right out front while we were there: 3 - 5 foot and clean, perfect for learners but also lots of fun for those of us who were more experienced). We also enjoyed walking up & down the road near the house, exploring the beaches and looking for wildlife. As for excursions we did a day hike in Corvocado National Park, partook in Andy's Everyday Adventures tree climbing & hiking tour, and also enjoyed a tour of the bay and dolphin watching excursion. There is no shortage of adventures to be had or nature to explore, but there was also the opportunity to just sit and read a book in the hammock, watching the waves crash on the beach.
1. Order a meal at least once from Melanie. She is a great cook & it makes the evening very enjoyable
2. Bring some sort of water shoes. The beach out front is great for water sports but is quite rocky - we wore the thin, slip-on kind and had no issues. The one member of our party who didn't needed a few bandaids.
3. We visited in March and had highs in the high 80s/low 90s during the day - so bring clothes that are cool & light (we mostly just stayed in our bathing suits for comfort) but also bring at least one item for cooler weather. I pretty quickly adjusted to life without AC so by the last 2 nights we were there I was chilly!
4. If you're considering a trip - do it :)
I am writing this review three days out of our vacation of a lifetime .. This was a special trip as I had just turned fifty and have been to the OSA five times before and have stayed at a different Casa that was very lovely .. I was looking for a new experience with three best friends .. We all had the time of our life .. The house was beautiful comfortable and peaceful .. There are no words to describe how kind and helpful Melanie and Kim were to us .. We found a community that welcomed us with open arms we practiced yoga most mornings with the nicest people .. Day 1 we arrived to. Full moon and drumming by the local community Wow amazing .. The monkeys greeted us each morning the howlers were our morning alarm . We sailed with Melanie and Kim on there amazing sail boat and had a yummy lunch prepared by Melanie . Hiked to two different waterfalls saw toucans poison dart frogs macaws some kind of wild boar beyond amazing . We went horseback riding to a waterfall and on the beach with a sweet man named Carlos .. Everyday was truly a gift .. I would love to tell no one as this is the most beautiful place in the OSA with the most kind and generous hosts. But I need to share my experience .. Thank you for your hospitality Melanie and Kim we could not have asked for more .. Thank you for sharing your home with three girls who loved to shriek and scream at night ..Kim your a saint for putting up with us . I am sure the OSA is quiet know that the screaming girls are gone lol.. We left knowing we would be back .. We left with happy hearts and new friends .. Melanie we also left with black and blues from all our crazy adventures and we all lost weight from all the activities .. Love you guys see you soon .. Michelle .. Deanna Wendy and Kathryn ✌️✌️
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Other facilities & amenities||Service|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children||Large groups|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|A romantic getaway|
|Check-in / front desk||Service|
|A romantic getaway||Rugged travelers|