See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 October 2012

The hotel is situated 20 km outside Ronda and is not easy to find, Before entering the courtyard by car, you have to open an electric fence, that keeps the sheep, wild boars and other wild animals outside the territory. So when driving the car outside, be careful not to hit the wild animals on the road there.
The hotel has many charming original rustic elements in the rooms and the central saloon-suite with fireplace. The swimming pool is very nicely located in the hilly surroundings. The Internet is also rustic with a very slow speed but you can catch up speed in Seville. The meals are very basic and rustic, but that is where yup are comic for. For us this hotel was a very relaxing and satisfying start of our Andalusia trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Simple spacious rooms (loads of space for bags) with high ceilings and wood beams, a 'hallway' has a 3rd bed. We liked the way it was in keeping with the rural setting Clean quality bed linen. Back door onto a little 'courtyard' - not private, but it was when we were there as the 4 other rooms weren't full - there are chairs and a table. Mosquite net over window so you can have cool night air instead of aircon (it was hot summer when we visited) and also while we were the the full moon was up and shining in the room while the crickets did their thing...very nice.
Bathroom drains slightly whiffy now and again, but the whole place was kept very very clean. Re an earlier review which mentioned insects - as it's in the middle of nowhere and you step out into farmland so we were surprised by how few insectst there were...I think we saw one ant in the hall and a small grasshopper in the bathroom.
Gorgeous scenery - ask about the short walk around the back of the property, there are pata negra pigs out foraging, the trees where they remove bark for cork, lots of sheep with and without bells, lizards, birds etc.
Pool area has sun & shade, an outdoor shower, sunbeds and the pool itself was quite small but deep, cool & clean.
We had breakfast both days - a better breakfast than in most of our hotels for the price - cheese, cold meat, bread, cereals(!!), basic fruit, teas, juices weren't fresh pressed, coffee was good despite my initial concerns about the machine - like strong filter coffee rather than espresso. We had dinner and a bottle of wine one night (went to Zahara the 2nd night) and it was enjoyable 'home cooked' and good value.
The man on the desk was really nice, and I think you definitely get more out of it if you speak a little bit of Spanish. I would definitey go back if I visited the area again.

Room Tip: altho we had a room in the front courtyard we didn't get noise from staff or other visitors as the front of the 'casita' is the hall and the bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank FeistyLass
Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I recently visited our son who lives in Spain. We met our son in Madrid, rented a car and our game plan was to just drive south and enjoy our ten days together and the wonderful country of Spain. We decided to spend a few days in Ronda, a beautiful town built on the top a a mountain with views that were spectacular. With so many shops and restaurants we had to spend a few days here. Our son's friend had told him about the Hotel El Horcajo, so we decided to give it a try. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from Ronda and sits on the edge of a state park. As we made our turn off the main road to a winding, gravel road we could see the hotel at the bottom of the hill. What a peaceful setting. We stopped the car at two locations to take pictures----a real pretty location, and we haven't even arrived yet. We were greeted in the office by a very nice young lady, and we arrived in time for dinner which is served in the dining room next to the office. The dinner menu changes every night and this nights dinner was a fish or meat dish. Breakfast is served every morning and was included in the cost of the room. During our stay we elected to go into town for our dinner only because we wanted to explore Ronda and usually stayed out very late. We ate breakfast at the hotel and enjoyed the fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, cheese, hams, breads and good spanish coffee. Just right to get us started for the day. The rooms are simple, but clean and comfortable. We were greeted in the morning by the sound of a rooster and other farm animals. You can't find that staying in the city--- and we loved it! One of the things we really enjoyed was the sky at night. Being in a valley and far away from the city lights, the stars were spectacular and the sounds of nature at night were the best. This was one spot on our journey we won't forget and would return to again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank surfer02_10
Reviewed 5 May 2012

If you're looking for 5 star luxury El Horcajo is not the place for you. But if you want to experience real rural simplicity then this is it - with the added bonus of air conditioned rooms and satellite tv. Casitas are simple but comfortably furnished yet decor is very pleasing, in keeping with it's surroundings. This farm has been very cleverly converted into this little hotel with a lovely typical dining room which used to feed the farm workers many years ago and still serves homely delicious food prepared with it's own grown produce. The staff are kind, helpful people who will try and accomodate you in any way they can. I forgot my dog's food and I only had to ask where I could buy some when they gave me their own dog's food and would not accept a single penny or euro, rather.

If you don't want to see insects or creepy crawlies then don't book yourself into a country hotel which used to be a farm. The word "farm" should give you a hint as to location, surroundings and what to expect!

This is healthy country living at it's best, fruit trees are numerous around the grounds and I had to wrench my children away from the fig trees and the mulberry bushes or was it trees? - where they would feed off the lovely sweet fruits. I also came home with a very healthy supply of lemons at no extra charge.

I met the owners and they are lovely, honest, hardworking people who very generously share this beautiful little piece of the world with us!

I have and will return again and again and again!

Room Tip: All rooms are excellently located.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2011

El Horcajo is a ranch located about 15 minutes from Ronda on curvy roads. The long gravel driveway to ranch was down steep hairpin turns that was pretty scary at night.

The basic dated rooms were off of the courtyard. The man at the front desk did not speak any English and our Spanish is limited, so he just showed us where we ate breakfast and handed us the keys to room 7.

Our room had a variety of spiders, centipedes, ants, rolly pollies and hordes of crickets everywhere. I'm not exaggerating when I say that there were at least a couple
dozen large insects crawling around. We tried to scoop them up and put them outside, but each time we opened the door more crickets would jump into the room.

The room was so cold that night that I had to wear 3 layers of clothing to bed under the covers. The radiator didn't work and the remote seemed to only operate the AC. I only had a couple hours of sleep since i was freezing and afraid the bugs would crawl on me. The bathroom smelled of sewer or sulfur that seeped into the bedroom. The towels were old and paper thin.

Breakfast was simple with rock-hard toast, plastic wrapped croissants, yogurt, salami, cheese and fruit. Also there was no wifi, so we were not able to plan from this remote location.

The next morning before breakfast, we told an English speaking staff member that we wanted to check out and did not need the next two nights because there was no heat and insects crawling everywhere. She explained that the AC remote slid open and there was a heat mode. It would have been helpful if the man at check in showed this to us because the nonworking radiator next to the bed was misleading.

She said that she had to charge us for that night because we should have said something the night before and it was a busy holiday weekend. There wasn't any way to communicate since the man did not speak any English and I'm sure our limited Spanish with charades would not have gotten the problems across.

Since we were charged for that second night, we stayed there comforted that we would at least have heat. My husband removed and killed the new round of insects that day, so I felt a little better about closing my eyes. Although this night, a family with a new born baby was in a room next to us crying almost all night. It was warmer, so I'm not sure if it was thin walls or their windows were open. Needless to say, I did not get much sleep that night either.

The only positive comment is that we liked the unusually long pillows. I'm not sure how this property has good reviews. My advice is to stay in or closer to Ronda with wifi and if there is a problem you can easily check into another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple