All reviews graham street room was clean walking distance minute walk first floor economy hotel next morning parking lot basic hotel the breakfast area front entrance free breakfast late check michelle toiletries pet
Reviewed 22 July 2018

This hotel is in a good location but do not book here without seeing the room you will actually be staying in. The photos posted by the hotel were deceptive. They showed a substantially better room that we received.

The pictures on the website showed a room with a desk, floor lamp and windows. The room we received was in the basement, without a desk, and a tiny dungeon-like window. About a third of the room was very dark without any way of making it brighter. It felt just like it was -- a somewhat damp basement room. What appeared to be an empty bracket for a smoke detector on the wall across from the bed was another less than alluring element.

The plastic mattress cover squeaks when one moves and felt unpleasant through the sheet. Just so you know, the "free parking" in the description does not mean this hotel has a parking lot. One parks on the street and is subject to the city's parking regulations. This hotel also serves at the local Greyhound station.

Because there wasn't a desk in the room, I had to work in the lobby which has limited electric plugs, so I had the delightful experience of trying to work at a table shared by a non-guest who appeared to be either on drugs or suffering mental problems. It's nice that the hotel lobby is open to people with problems, but perhaps not so nice for the guests.

It's possible that most of the nicer rooms here are occupied long-term. Those rooms presumably have desks and reasonable windows, but there's no way to tell when booking online whether you will get the room advertised or whether you will be sent to the basement.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

I am sorry for your recent stay here at the hotel, I do wish we would have had a room off the ground floor to accommodate you with. As for the concerns with the room with the dampness and bracket as well as mattress protectors I will address all these concerns with the owner and housekeeping team.

I will also address the other concerns you had with guest from Greyhound waiting in the lobby for their bus I will see if we can make other arrangement so that our hotel guest are not disturbed during there stay.

Like my previous message to you I do hope that you will give our hotel another try so that we can improve on your overall impression of the hotel and staff.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

We were hesitated to having our car parked on the street in front of the hotel. But the lady at the check in showed us the surveillance camera's and assured us the town is peaceful. We were glad we listened and check in. The room was huge (Maybe it was a handicap accessible room ?) It was well maintained, clean and smelled nice. The bathroom had a large walk in shower, plenty of towels and toiletries but lacked waterpressure. The mattrass was hard but good for our sore backs. Breakfast was a bit under average, so was the breakfast area. A great number of different and good restaurants in the town on walking distance

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for the positive review we are pleased to hear your room was good and you enjoyed the property overall. We hope we have earned your business for the future and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 17 May 2018

I planned a trip for my birthday/ Christmas. The Econo Lodge is right where the bus picks up and drops off people so that made it very convenient for me. I ordered Swiss Chalet the first night. Next morning I had the free breakfast, which was not deluxe but good enough. I forget the name of the woman who was on the front desk when I checked in. Turned out her son and I have the same birthday. She was friendly, made sure I had what I needed and I enjoyed talking with her.

I stayed in Woodstock, at the Econo Lodge for three nights. Caught the bus at 9:00AM after a light breakfast at the hotel. Nice to wait for the bus in the hotel lobby, overlooking Graham Street.

The only downside of this hotel is not having an elevator. I solved that by booking ahead and asking for a room on the first floor, as pet and smoker free as possible. My room was good. Heat worked and was not really needed. Nice shower. Clean room. I enjoyed the hotel and would not think of staying at any other hotel in town. This was reasonably priced, even during the Christmas holidays.

Room Tip: Tell the staff what you need ahead of time.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
Michelle F, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Thank you for the review we love hearing how our guest enjoy there time with us. We hope to see you again when your travelling in the area.

Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

We get there and the bearded tattooed maintenance man starts throwing shade about his ex-wife. Very professional, I think to myself. Told there is a complimentary "hot" breakfast in the am. We climb the filthy carpeted stairs with our baggage (no elevator) to get to our room- 417 btw- and the overpowering stench of mildew nearly knocks us out. I notice black hair adorning what is supposed to be a fresh clean pillow. I call front desk and ask for a different room. We are moved to another room down the hall- smells fine. Open the fridge to put beverages in- but find it disgustingly filthy, as though someone's been living there for years, had it full of groceries and never cleaned it once. We attempt to turn the heat on- but the knob is broken and there is no way of changing the setting. The mattress is encased in plastic so every move you make is noisey. Awakened suddenly at 7:30 am on a saturday because the fire alarm goes off. Pick up the phone to call front desk- no dial tone. Phone is not connected to the wall because there are no cords to plug it in. Go downstairs to front desk to see what's happening- someone had burnt toast at the complimentary breakfast- the only hot item served at the "hot" breakfast. Complain to front desk about fire alarm/phone situation. Told she would get us out in an actual fire. Discouraged, we help ourselves to the terrible coffee- tasted like burnt hot water. Go back to our room, want to use the shower/tub- however the film around the bathtub discourages bathing of any sort. Don't use this hotel- you get what you pay for.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Heather M
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2018

I am sorry that your experience was not good. I have spoken with the staff working that day and the ones working during check out. I have addressed this with all, most importantly my housekeeping team. The bearded man does not work here he was just a guest venting to the front desk. I have 1 man working here he young boy with no beard.
I did get the phone line fixed I am sorry it was unattached and fallen behind the bed I was the lady you spoke to at check out. We have never had a hot breakfast in 7 1/2 years being open I am sorry you were misinformed with what we served for breakfast.

The alarm is there to protect everyone I do shut it off when there is no emergency and would have let it go if there was. It is my job to evacuate the building if required and would have done so if needed. I do wish you would have addressed these concerns with me at check out so I could have addressed all these issues right away. I was unaware of the fridge and condition of your room you moved to until I read this.

If you would be interested in trying our property again please contact me directly at the hotel and I will do my best to make sure your stay is more enjoyable

Reviewed 15 April 2018

1.) No parking - bring your shoes, and insurance. Parking is on the street or a block down the sketchy street in some kind of garage.
2.) No elevator - hope your in shape! Lots of stairs, and their pretty rickety!
3.) Room - Musty, smelly, old, dated, (PINK tiles on bathroom floor)
4.) Rooms in the basement! Yes this place has a basement, like underground !!
5.) Lobby - I think it has one, not sure... I think I saw a couch and a heavily Inked person at the desk.
6.) Breakfast - not sure, refused to stick around to witness it.
7.) Alley - nice and dark beside the hotel, Rooms with a view!
8.) Gentlemen's Club - rumor has it, so the local gas attendant tells me, this place used to be the local Gentlemen's club - OH I so now I understand!

Room Tip: Don't stay here. Danger, Danger!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Burnt2acrisp
Michelle K, Manager at Econo Lodge Woodstock, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Sorry that you did not enjoy your stay here, We do wish you would have addressed this with the hotel so we would be given an opportunity to address your concerns right away instead of you not enjoying your stay.
1. Parking is off site or in-front of the hotel I have managed this property for 7+ years we have never once had an issue with guest. If mobility was a problem you would have been welcome to park along side the hotel with staff.
2. Yes No Elevator when renovating this 100+ year old building the original stairs were kept. I do have staff to assist with luggage and if a main floor room was available or requested we would be happy to accommodate.
3. I am unsure of the room you stayed in since we never received a complaint at the desk, I will however address the musty smell with the housekeeping team right away to make sure we keep an eye on this.
4. Yes a lower basement level , if you would have like to see the spacious rooms you are more then welcome The rooms are clean and have great features, you had mention tile floor so I assume you never actually stayed on out 1st floor.
5. if you check in you were in the lobby if you stayed and had breakfast you would have been in the lobby. As for my staff and her INK I am sorry flowers bother you. But if you would have asked her for anything she has 10+ years of hotel experience and is a wonderful staff.
6. NO comment
7. Downtown property no matter where you are no not provide a great view. Montreal, Toronto ect are no better. What most guest love about being downtown is the close location to great restaurants and entertainment
8. It also was the original hotel in Woodstock 135 years ago . I sorry you seam to be focusing on a 20 year old business maybe the gas attendant was not aware that it Closed in the 90

Again I am sorry you found it easier to give our hotel a negative review instead of speaking with any staff or myself the manager who is on call 24 hrs a day. I however encourage readers to read my response and give our charming hotel a chance. Michelle Kirwin Manager