“Look no further,book this villa!”
other travellers have booked this property
A Pirates Island Modern Lines
Excursions - Boats
Excursions - Cascadas De Limon
Pool Terrace
Las Terrenas Views - Beach
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
German first
Any
matt m
“Look no further,book this villa!”
Reviewed 17 February 2016 for a stay in February 2016

i Just have to start by saying how beautiful this villa and location is. As soon as my family and i arrived i fell in love with the place. There where 5 of us staying at the villa and we had so much room. My wife and i had the master suite which was a great size.My brother loved the underwater suite.I was worried about Mozzies and how safe we where,but that was no problem at all. The pool area is to die for.We had the music on and just chilled around the pool in the daytime and in the evening we all gathered at the sitting area and relaxed and waited for our very tasty meal prepared by the chef (which i recommend).I used to sit every morning with my coffee on the roof deck and look out at the tropical paradise.The beach is a stones throw away and if you turn to the left at the end of the path you will probably not see a better beach in your life! we used to walk to the end of the cove and relax on the sand. We rented ATV's for 3 day's that Elodie kindly organized for us. The staff in the house where very lovely and made sure everything was clean for us and made sure we where happy.We where there for 9 days and it was not long enough. As for the last review,the villa,staff and owner do not deserve that review! If there was ever a problem there was someone there within an hour.Your in a tropical country there will be mozzies and the odd storm! i cannot think of one bad thing to say about the property.Please take my word for it as we have travelled to some of the nicest properties in the world and this is up there with it.Look no further, as this villa and all the people involved will not disappoint you! Thank you Everyone involved in this villa.I'll be back at christmas!!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the whole villa and the staff
Liked least: the internet connection
Your age range 35-49
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups
Mickibbo
Melbourne
“Charming or Pur Hell - You decide”
Reviewed 27 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016
people found this review helpful

Las Terrenas is a gorgeous. It remains mostly untouched but developers are slowly moving in, nothing happens fast here. Lots of Europeans ex-pats and travellers looking for the path less travelled. The last part of the drive in for about 20kms has to be one of the most amazing coastal roads in the world. Take it slow and soak in the views. Just stunning coast line.

The township is authentic Dominican, you have to watch your back but the locals thrive on the tourism industry so most are there to help you. Don’t expect much, immerse yourself and you will get the real experience. If you are looking for five star or luxury don’t even contemplate the region.

OK, Villa Sofia. Website looks great doesn’t it!?

Its gaudy and overdone with unnecessary features. Take the wall of fire along on of the edge of the pool, looks good for about five seconds until the whole area fills with an unbearable gas smell. Sections of the wall didn’t work, upon inspecting the gas system used for this ‘feature’ it did not inspire confidence, definitely no code or regulation followed here. I mean who thought this was a good idea. Faux leather wall paper in the main bedroom… I did feel like I was on the set of an x-rated film, a cheap one.

I don’t want to harp on or whinge but I travel extensively in the Dominican as I married one. Villa Sofia was not what we expected. There are no communal indoor areas. None. There are five bedrooms connect by various walk ways. The kitchen, dining and lounge areas area all open and wrapped around the pool (no good for small children). Sounds lovely, sounds like a modern hacienda, I have one word for you, MOSQUITOES! I spent seventeen days fighting the little b@st@rds and it really destroyed our trip. We asked for the place to be fumigated but it had little effect. Playa Bonita, particularly Punta Bonita was originally a swamp so there are thousands of mosquitoes all year round.

Some factual observations of the property to assist with the decision process…

1. There is NO generator, the power goes out in the region daily from anywhere between 2 minutes to a few hours of more. The developer decided not to have a generator. There is a battery backup which runs the lights and some of the TV’s. NOT the air-conditioning!
2. When the power goes out the neighbours petrol generator can be heard from the master bedroom.
3. There is no security despite what they say.
4. The area is wet even when there is not a lot of rain an automatic pump runs underneath the master bedroom 24/7 which sounds like a watching machine humming and does disrupt sleep.
5. The pool is not sage for small children but they do supply a wrist alarm, we had a toddler and it was a problem.
6. The kitchen does not work, the oven is useless and the fridge did not work properly. Even the water dispenser button was malfunctioned.
7. The staff were ordinary at best, it took them a long time to do anything and hours to clean the rooms but it was daily.
8. There is NO staff quarters so if you have nannies or drivers there is nowhere for them to stay.
9. The BBQ is dangerous and needs replacing. Its just a rust bucket with a grill plate.
10. The main TV went off when the power went out which was all the time.
11. The main beach has washed away in a recent storm, Playa Bonita is mostly gone. They have a serious erosion problem which seems to be largely ignored.
12. Windows which were fixed (no openings) leaked during rain.
13. Limited Parking.
14. The laundry was an afterthought which cannot be used by guests, housed in the pool pump room underneath the house with a five foot ceiling and very rudimentary accessories.
15. The ‘under water’ room is really a bedroom with one of the windows butting up against the pool, ok, whatever, something different. That room has no hanging or cupboard space and a small queen sized bed despite the floor plan on the website saying there is a king sized bed.
16. The green and purple lighting everywhere wears thin after a day or two. The lamps that play music are just tacky.
17. The gardens were spectacular, I think most of the effort on design went into the landscaping which was incredible.

I made the mistake of going with high expectations due to other reviews and was shot down upon arrival. My main issue was the lack of family space protected from the elements, when it rained it was a problem, wind and rain split the family into each of their bedrooms. The power outages were to frequent for my liking. The pump running under the master bedroom floor there to remove water from underneath the house was a constant reminder we were holidaying in a swamp and shouldn’t have been there. Very little sleep and was glad to leave.

Its not a place for small children and its not a place for a long family vacation, a few days at best. Its for younger people looking to party and have low expectations.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
4 Feb 2016
Woowwww !
So many critics at once !

First of all, I am open to all comments and critics, but I must admit that this time they are more difficult to accept.
Usually, when they face a problem in our properties, our guests notify us promptly and we do our best to solve it as fast as we can (and we usually do it efficiently). If we eventually fail to answer or fix the issue, negative comments are then totally justified.
This time, we have not been able to adapt the Villa to our guests wishes (every client has different needs, tastes or expectations, that we always try to meet, hence our history of 5 stars reviews) since we had not been notified of any of their particular needs.
I really don't know what to think about this review, since the day of their departure, one of the guests asked if the villa was available the following week because they wanted to stay longer ! They said they were really enchanted of their vacation, apart for the abundance of mosquitoes (we will talk about it later).
You can then understand how surprised I am when I read this review.

I must underline that a pre-charged local mobile phone is handed to our guests upon arrival to allow them to report any problem, ask any question or notify emergencies to our local agency team !
It has been much used this time ;-)

Shortly after our guests departure, after reading this review, I asked a thorough check of all the incriminated elements mentioned.

First of all, the wall of fire, one of our most searched after feature... Guests love to dine in front of the pool, facing this fancy firewall setting.
I firmly contest the supposed security point mentioned in this review. The material used for this nice decor comes from a reputed US company and includes all the safety devices needed in the US : the gas source is automatically shut down if the fire stops, and the systems automaticalle tries to fire it up after any extinguisment (each wallfire igniter is a 1.800 USD device !). There is always a light gas smell after ignition, which last 2 or 3mn, and then disappears. No danger at all.
This si true that some parts of the firewall were not totally functional; this sometimes happens after heavy rainfall, because rain water enters in the fire tubes (no danger). A simple phone call or notification via our staff would have corrected this immediately.
Should I be glad that a guest compare our bedrooms to an X-rated movie set ? I am not sure. Maybe I am not such an expert to comment this.... But I am ready to believe someone who seems to be a great movie fan. Dear future guests, be ready for the vacation of your life ! LOL.

1. No, there is no generator but an inverter system which ensures a 4 hours electricity backup, which is sufficient to cover 95% of the electricity shortages. This system does not support the A/C, this is true, but this is the only feature which is not connected since it would discharge the batteries too quickly ! And most failures do not last more than one hour or two. Our electricity system is powered by solar panels, which is greatly ecologically better than those polluting, noisy and smelly gasoline power plants. It is a choice and we assume it. We are located in a developing country, in a tropical paradise and we want to keep it as nice as it was when it was less developed... Urban pollution addicts should chose to vacation in NYC, Melbourne or Paris because they will be disappointed here !

2. The neighboring house has a temporary generator for a few weeks because they are under renovation and their backup system is being changed. I recognize this is an inconvenient, but we are unfortunately not able to address this. I just notice that it is only heard from the Master Bedroom, and not from the rest of the property. I also notice that it only worked during power failures, then only a few hours in 17 days !!!

3. Totally false : there is a 24/7 security in the residence, with a doubled team at night, with guards patrolling from 20pm to 7am. The condominium enjoins them to be discreet and to avoid to stay in front of the properties, and we do not want to change this; intimacy is important to us. The area is safe and we luckily do not need an army of guards like in certain countries ! In addition, Villa Sofia is totally closed and secured by classic and electronic doors. We never met any security problem in 10 years of operation !

4. The area is wet when there is rain, and dry when there is not; we are compelled to water the garden everyday to avoid it dries during 9 months of the year. During winter, in the Caribbean, there is a little bit more rain than during other seasons. This year, the month of January has been more rainy than previous years; I am always very sorry for our tourists when the climate is not totally sunny because I really hope they can enjoy their vacation at the most, but I still don't know how to propose a "guaranteed sun" option with my rental !
There is a water pump in the basement, which works during heavy rainfalls; no guest ever complained about it. The check showed a little murmur (very low). I can understand that some sensitive person may have been disturbed in certain cases. Once again it only worked a few times during those 17 days. If we had been notified, we, of course, would have switched off this device for the rest of the stay. This is a 1 minute operation.

5. A pool is never safe with small children. The photos on the website clearly show the swimming pools setup. Saying that the pool configuration was discovered upon arrival is a total lie !!! We effectively provide an alarm system to prevent small children to fall into the pools; we also offer a specially children-designed pool, with platforms of different depths (from 20 cm to 90 cm, divided in 5 different areas) to allow few months old babies to sit and enjoy the pool safely (under their parents watch, of course). In my knowledge, very few other rental villas offer this feature !

6. The check showed that the kitchen was perfectly working (it has been renovated in November 2015). The oven is in good condition and works well, and the fridge was tested at the normal temperatures it is set to operate. This is true that the water dispenser button is damaged, but it is totally functional; it has to be pressed a little bit harder than a brand new one ! Once again, we received no complaint during the clients stay, and had no chance to fix anything that could have been defective.

7. I have been working with Josefina, our maid, for 10 years now, and I have always received excellent comments. I don't understand why the fact that she is working a little bit slowly would be a problem : the work is done, everyday, even well done. She is smiling and helpful. The country is like this, everything takes time ! This is part of the charm of the country : people come to see us on vacation to relax and live at another pace... Why come to an exotic tropical paradise if to live at a 100 mph rhythm ? We assume the fact that here, our maid do not work at the speed they might do in Melbourne ! People who are used to travel extensively know that there are cultural differences between countries, sometimes disturbing, and sometimes not like in our case (the job is done).
We are surprised again by this bad comment since the "propina" (tip) received by the staff at the departure of our guests was a very good one ! Do you let a good tip if you are unsatisfied by the service you received ?

8. No, there is no staff quarters. I don't see the point, since we never claimed or advertised that there was one ! The property is advertised for 5 bedrooms / 13 guests. We do consider nannies and drivers as human beings and we count them among the eventual guests when they stay at Villa Sofia. Villa Sofia had been rented in that case for 3 couples, a baby and a nanny, which totally fits the sleeping capacity of the villa, unless the staff cannot sleep in a room of the same standing as the employers if nothing else is available. Don't laugh, some people still do think this way ! We once even had some clients having their 2 employees sleeping on the terrace, on a mattress !

9. The BBQ is a US gas Broil King model and not "rust bucket with a grill plate". The automatic ignition device was effectively out of order, but a manual ignition device was provided. All the repair spare parts had been ordered in January but we are still waiting for them. I understand that this feature was not at the expected level. A call to the local agency would have solved this problem because we would have brought the BBQ located in our second property for a temporary replacement. Once again, we received no complaint during the clients stay, and had no chance to fix anything that could have been defective.

10. We tested the TV along with the battery system : this is just that the micro-shortage between the general energy supply and the battery system shuts the TV off and put it in energy saving mode, due to electronic device sensitivity. Using the Power button on the remote control puts the TV on again (and it works with the inverter mode). Little inconvenience maybe, but does it deserves a 3/5 stars ? I let you decide.

11. True. But the Playa Coson lagoon, 2mn walk from Villa Sofia remained untouched and still looks wonderful. The right side of Playa Bonita, 600m further is also in perfect conditions.
The assertion that this erosion problem is ignored is pure invention (Where did you get this information ? Did you take time to get those "pseudo-infos" directly to the Playa Bonita Association or did you go yourself to the City Hall during your vacation to inquire at which point was the solution process ?). I don't think so, so please no free nasty comment ! Since the erosion took place during a recent storm, a commission is working on the problem, solutions have been identified and they are being implemented.

12. Yes. Problem identified and solved (took us 15 mn). This was a minor problem (there are about 50 windows in the property !) that obviously do not ruin a vacation I guess.... Or if the leak is enormous (which it was not, just an infiltration), it will surely be reported to the agency on the spot. Once again, we received no complaint during the clients stay, and had no chance to fix anything that could have been defective.

13. Hum hum.... The Villa Sofia parking is adapted to our guests capacity since it largely accepts 3 or 4 cars (7 seaters) plus 4-wheelers and bikes.... Unless coming with 4 Hummers H1 with only 2 people onboard each, I don't understand where the problem is ??? And even the four H1 would fit, I think ! LOL.

14. Completely true. We have washing facilities on-site. This is not an easily accessible place, but it is operated by our staff only. Our guests can ask the staff to wash their clothes whenever they want. Having problems with accommodating a nanny in a regular room and doing the washing up self seems very contradictory to me. For security reasons, our clients should not try to access the technical quarters. Elodie, the agency guests manager confirmed to me that she clearly explained that point to the clients.

15. The Pool Suite is described as it is in reality. The photos clearly show the reality of this suite, with the window giving in the pool. The website and listing ads all mention a Queen size bed in this room. Maybe a new indication of bipolarity disorder or the will to demolish our property for unknown reason....?

16. There is purple lighting only as indirect light around the master bedroom bed header and on the entrance wall, outside. To our knowledge, they all still work perfectly !
The audio light bulbs are not the equivalent of a big hi-fi system, of course; anyway, loud music is prohibited in the residence and all our guests were very surprised and pleased with this musical feature : original, easy to use and an excellent sound rendering for its size. Any smartphone, tablet or PC can connect and stream music in seconds : a bluetooth connection, and go !
This look like a very big anger !!!

17. Thank you ! I did not expect any compliment after all this ! This one is very moderate (garden landscaping), and strange since this is not the best asset of Villa Sofia... But I gladly accept it !

The concept of the house is to be open, with an outdoor living that reflects the way people live here; this not hidden in our description and all the plans and description we provide are accurate. Our guests, it is true, had the misfortune to come in a 2 weeks period with middling weather which resulted with more rain, more electrical failures and more mosquitoes than average. We have almost 11 months of sun per year here, but when it rains, it is tropical rain ! How could the vegetation could be so beautiful here without water ? Our guests notified us of the mosquitoes problems and we immediately fumigated the property. It is important to underline that this is not a problem concerning Villa Sofia or even the residence where it is located but the destination itself : when there is rain in a tropical country, mosquitoes multiply.... This is something very well known. We regularly fumigate the property. We understand that this can be an inconvenient to people who travel to an unknown country, but I understood that one of the guest was born and raised in the country and don't understand that it could have been so surprising to them.
Following this clients comments, we just bought several UV pest killers to help reduce mosquitoes problems.

Villa Sofia is equipped to welcome all types of guests and travelers.
All our guests who met inconveniences and notified them to us received a fast answer and we usually fixed their problem in a time frame of a few hours. The agency staff was very upset to read this since they have not been able to provide any help, not being notified by anybody of any defect !
I am always listening to guests comments to improve our service and offers; this is the best way to improvement, since every client is different and has particular expectations. I can't accept receiving so negative comments after a 17 days stay during which the only notifications received were about mosquitoes (go to Groenland for vacation !) and A/C not connected to the emergency electric backup ! All the rest of their critics had not been brought to our attention in 2 weeks !

Las Terrenas is a wonderful place, and Villa Sofia remains one of the best decored, equiped, serviced and operated rental villa in the region. We are proud of our 9 permanent direct employees, who have been dedicated to our guests for almost 10 years now, and of our indirect staff through the AIC agency. Our numerous 5 stars reviews year after year show our dedication to our guests comfort and service.

I am very surprised by this review using the words "low expectation" when written by someone having married a Dominican person and "traveling extensively" in this country.... He should know better how the life conditions are here... It seems he did not travel so much in the country, and don't know the local conditions. Whatever, this is the review from one person from this party, and the other members were really enchanted by their stay and did say it to our staff before they leave. Spoiled, bipolar or just angry ??? I don't know. Or maybe used to higher level accommodations (of course there are some, but it comes at 15K USD a week or more !) ? Villa Sofia is at the top of what you can rent in the area, and even if we are not at an outrageous luxury level, I still confirm that we really offer extremely good quality and service. And we sincerely dedicate to our guests comfort.

Patrick, owner.
Kenneth N
“Beautiful Jewel near the water”
Reviewed 17 June 2015 for a stay in June 2015

From the moment you enter the glass doors this property is beautiful. The modern decor offers special adornments around each corner. The bedrooms are large each with their own restroom and AC units. There are multiple sitting areas up and down to take advantage of. There is a very short walk to the beach where several restaurants are located. This a great area for snorkeling as the reef is close to the beach edge. While there were vacationers it was not over bearing like at resorts. The best jewel about Villa Sofia was Josephina and the staff. They attended our every need starting with a fabulous breakfast and fresh ground coffee every morning. The half board dinner with Dario in the evening is a must. The fresh squeezed juice, local fruit and fish were to die for. He served an appetizer, first plate, main dish, and desert every evening that were so beautiful you had to snap a picture before you eat. Do not rent a car unless you know the area due to the chaotic driving there. AIC took care of all of our travel and excursion needs. Lastly, while this house and staff does set the bar pretty high you must bring repellent for some evenings sitting out. It is an open house with no way to close the main sitting area off. It is an exceptional property at a great value that can be enjoyed by both the young and mature. Happy Travels.....

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The pools, food, beach, and comfort.
Liked least: Insects
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
Management Response
19 Jun 2015
Dear Kenneth,
We are delighted here, at Villa Sofia, that you enjoyed so much our property and our little paradise, Las Terrenas.
Your nice comments are more than welcome, and I transmitted them to our staff and to the AIC agency who attended you during your stay. We work hard to maintain and improve our services.
We would be very happy to host you and your family again soon.
Thank you.
Patrick
Julia H
“CLOSE TO PERFECTION - EXCELLENT SERVICE”
Reviewed 27 November 2014 for a stay in November 2014

We spent a lovely week at Villa Sofia and really enjoyed the property : beautiful decoration, an amazing bedroom opening directly inside the swimming pool, a pool firewall, a giant bar, ...... The terrace surrounded by the giant pool is priceless and every evening we had the great pleasure of dining in front of the lighted pool and its magic wall of fire !!! Villa Sofia is almost on the beach (1mn), and a few minutes walk from the beach bars and restaurants. The house itself is open, spacious and has all the amenities you'd expect in a vacation home. We were able to cook meals and BBQ in the garden and spend time relaxing around the 3 swimming pools, all the while not paying hotel prices for food and drink. It was everything we anticipated and more. We would definitely recommend Villa Sofia to future visitors to Las Terrenas, especially if you want the privacy and relaxed atmosphere a rental home can provide. And the service of Josefina and Lala is absolutely perfect, with delicious breakfast served everyday, and fresh fruit juice prepared when we were coming back from the beach... Simply paradise !
STRONGLY RECOMMENDED.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The architecture and location
Liked least: Staying too short !
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Mfluffdog...
Corvallis, Oregon
“Incredibly beautiful villa with two perfect beaches!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

Seven of our family visited the DR for the first time as a graduation trip for my stepdaughter, and we feel soooo lucky to have stumbled upon Las Terrenas, Villa Sofia, and Playa Coson & Playa Bonita! Michel and Jacques were very helpful getting everything arranged and our questions answered ahead of time; and when we walked in the door it was every bit as spectacular as their pictures. We loved hanging out in the evenings in the pool, playing cards at the poolside dining table, or watching movies out there together. In the mornings Josefina and Lala would prepare us a wonderful breakfast, then we would go snorkeling at the beach or looking for seashells. The rooms are spacious, beautiful, and comfortable. The food is excellent- we never had any leftovers!! (We would shop for ourselves at the local supermarket and usually had Josefina whip something up from it.). We also had Nicolas- an excellent guide- from Flora Tours come by to show us his excursion offerings. We ended up doing the snorkeling, which was great with three absolutely amazing beaches, and the Taino Indian caves at Los Haitises National Park, which was very interesting. Our group had ages 15 up to 70, and we all agree it was an unforgettable experience and we would like to return some day! Thank you to Michel, Jacques, Josefina, Lala, Nicolas, Henry the tour guide, Willy and Jose the taxi drivers, and the friendly people of the DR for making our stay so special!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing