“Snorkelling and beach picnic”
Review of Nosy Tanikely

Nosy Tanikely
Reviewed 3 April 2017 via mobile

This island is a marine reserve and the snorkelling is great! We saw huge clams, sea turtles (green and brown), nice coral, very interesting and unusual tropical fish.
The beach picnic was very nice and the food tasty and prepared with care.
We combined this visit with a trip to Nosy Komba, but next time we will spend a whole day here! We loved it! The beach is also nice for relaxing!
Tres bon!

"paradise"
"minutes"
"sun"

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

Too summarize: it's too hard to get there for the adventure available. Our tour required us to stay 4 hours here. In 2 hours everyone was ready to go! It's fun to go up top of lighthouse, and observe lemurs in the trees . Walk the beach . Then unless you want to swim , time to go. I did enjoy my visit here, and the lemurs made it worthwhile. But, if you are required to stay 4 hours, I wouldn't recommend the long boat ride !

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

We paid 70,000 Ar per person plus another 20,000 Ar to enter the park (this includes Nosy Komba). Bring sun tan lotion and mosquito spray and a shirt to snorkel in. There's plenty of shade and they had beer and coke but no water - lunch is a big communal spread and the boat ride takes less than 15 minutes. We saw tons of fish and a sea turtle but most of the coral looked dead. Great day trip!

1  Thank travellingkeef
Reviewed 20 March 2017

I just love it. Tanikely is a snorkeling paradise. We were there for half a day with an organized boat trip. Amazing place!:)

See more reviews
Reviewed 29 December 2016

I came to Nosy Tanikely alone (a small boat took me there) on the way to Ankify. It was very early in the morning, around 6:30, and during the first two hours there was no one but me in the water. Unfortunately there was no sun at all but I still enjoyed my three hours of fantastic, incredible snorkeling. The sun only appeared for a few moments at the end of my snorkeling session. There was so much to see that, if had more time, I would have snorkeled there for at least another three hours. The first thing I saw was a lovely nudibranch Phyllidia varicosa (varicose wart slug). I saw lots of fish including the big groupers: starry groupers (also called white-spotted rockcod) Epinephelus caeruleopunctatus and extremely shy brown-marbled groupers (alias flowery rockcod) Epinephelus fuscoguttatus. Despite their being the biggest fish in this area, the brown-marbled groupers would flee as fast as they could every time they noticed me. They would hide under a big rock or coral, and peek out of their hiding place from time to time to see if I’m gone. They were huge! The starry groupers were also very impressive. I saw several hawksbill turtles, big and small, and watched them eating. There was a big dusky batfish Platax pinnatus who followed me around for some time and swam with a turtle. I was very lucky to watch a couple of courting and then mating octopuses. Other big&beautiful fish I saw were black-saddled grouper Plectopomus laevis with yellow fins, tail and lips and a row of black saddles on a white body, a very conspicuous titan triggerfish Balistoides viridescens, a huge map pufferfish Arothron mappa, and a lonely barred rubberlip Plectorhinchus plagiodesmus with very thick yellow lips. Probably the most striking fish was Moorish idol Zanclus cornutus with its beautifully patterned elongated snout, and a thicklip wrasse Hemigymnus melapterus with its huge kissing lips. Among the corals and sponges, I particularly liked the blue or purple (depending on the light) stove-pipe sponges. Other beautiful fish I saw included six-bar wrasse Thalassoma hardwicke, checkerboard wrasse Halichoeres hortulanus, peacock grouper Cephalopholis argus, black-spotted sweetlips Plectorhinchus gaterinus (yellow with black dots), gold-bar wrasse, red-breasted wrasse Cheilinus fasciatus, a shy Porcupine fish with its timid little smile, orangelined triggerfish Balistapus undulatus, schooling bannerfish, a couple of rabbitfish (Siganus), a barracuda (unfortunately not very conspicuous without good light), caranxes, various butterflyfish, and many others. At the end of my snorkeling session I saw very unusual sea cucumbers Stichopus chloronotus, dark blue, with the rows of little papillae extending from their bodies; a big school of (probably blue-barred) parrotfish and a very big school of silver moonfish Monodactylus argenteus. Other beautiful sea cucumbers around Nosy Be are Graeffe´s sea cucumber Pearsonothuria graeffei and a very long Synapta maculata that looks like a length of rope. I loved snorkeling at Nosy Tanikely and hope to go there again.

4  Thank Maria_the_Snorkeler