“Perfect !”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Hapuku Carriages

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
Kim H
“Perfect !”
Reviewed 16 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

What an awesome place, the location , the friendly hosts , the condition , the breakfast, the bed and the outdoor bath... I could not fault anything about our stay here. We've stayed in many holiday homes around New Zealand and this has to be our absolute favourite. Keep doing just what you are doing Mike and Suzie-lee ...our experience is gettting raved about online , in our workplaces and with family :)

17 Sep 2015
Thanks Guys it was great having you's stay with us we love meeting new people untill next time Thanks Mike & Susie -lee
174Greg
Nelson, Nelson, New Zealand
“Wow A one off great place to stay”
Reviewed 23 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

We have just spent two nights in the carriage and a fantastic experience
Location great, not to far from town and only a couple of min stroll to the beach.
the carriage was great - retro but with all the mod cons you need.
Breakfast - well what can i say absolutaly every thing you could want and all home made.
Hosts - real good buggers 10 out of 10
If you are traveling from overseas and looking for a real Kiwi experience then this is a must do.
Thank guys for giving us a great weekend

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: location and something a little different
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
30 Aug 2015
Hi Guys Thanks for your great review its was great having you's stay with us all the best. The best part of running a B&B is the people we meet
Thanks Mike & Susie-lee
Thumper36
Uk
“Paradise in a Carriage.”
Reviewed 17 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

Always one to try and find somewhere other than the run of the mill hotels, motels & B&B's, I stumbled across Hapuku Carriages, Kaikoura NZ via Booking.com and was not disappointed with my choice.
Travelling solo I wanted somewhere unique, off the beaten track and not surrounded by Tourists, but with the warmth of home and the peace I desired.
Hapuku Carriages was perfect for me, although sharing the experience with my boyfriend would have been the icing on the cake.
On arrival I was greeted by Susie-Lee who was extremely welcoming and who I later discovered is from a part of the world I've loved since I was a wee tot.
I settled into the carriage and to be honest was more than happy to chill until my day of exploring the following day. Relaxation beyond my dreams and no noise except the roar of the pacific. The night sky amazing and filled with stars.
The following morning I woke to sunrise, my choice, and readied myself for what was a sumptuous breakfast, cooked by Mike in his home. I didn't need lunch, which in my world is amazing as I have to eat regularly. Mikes breakfast sets you up for a day of fun and no need to eat until evening. Awesome! I was lucky to experience the breakfast twice as I stayed for 2 wonderful nights.

Mike has many stories to tell and is very proud of what he has created and keeping Kaikoura the beautiful place it is, and keeping modern tourism at bay.

I could easily have stayed at the Hapuku Carriages for a month. Perfect base in my opinion, great location, great accommodation, great hosts and the most amazing location.

If you want city living, this is not the place for you, but if you want something unique, off the beaten track, with amazing views of the ocean & mountains with superb hospitality and good wholesome home cooking, make the booking. You will not regret.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
28 Apr 2015
We love meeting people from all over the world and are humbled by your review WE hope that one day you will return with you partner and show him what a great place Kaikoura is Thanks Mike & Susie-lee
peter_fus...
Christchurch, New Zealand
“A unique stay which hit all the right spots”
Reviewed 5 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015
person found this review helpful

Was looking for accommodation for an overnight stay in Kaikoura and found the Hapuku Carriages web site. I was keen for a different experiece re staying in a rail carriage - wife was a bit dubious. After lunch in Kaikoura Hapuku Carriages easy to find - well sign posted about 5 min drive north of Kaikoura. Upon arrival Mike showed around his lovingly restored carriage - as soon as wife saw it she loved it. Had all the ammenities required for a short stay - all to a high quality. After settling in a short walk to the beach followed where a pod of dolphins put on a display for us - magic. Back to the carriage for a rest - a few trains passing close by added to the nistalgia of the location. Even though close they are not a nuisance. Was back to Kaikoura for dinner - Mikes recommendation was spot on. Next morning was breakfast in Mike & Susie-lee's home, full breakfast was spot on. Great hospitality - if you want a quiet location for a break and also want to stay in a room that different to the norm - Hapuku Carriages is a must. We will be back.

Bedding & mattresses Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The uniqueness of staying in a rail carriage And over all hospitality
Liked least: Not taking my fishing gear.
Recommended for:
Older travelers
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
5 Apr 2015
Hi Guys was great having you stay its always great when the Dolphins put on a display for our guests great meeting you's look forward to having you stay again Thanks Mike & Susie-lee
MarcCruic...
Christchurch, New Zealand
“What a gem!”
Reviewed 1 March 2015 for a stay in March 2015

My wife took me here for a weekend away. I'm usually the type to look for the room with the biggest TV when I book a room, so I wasn't sure when we pulled up!

Honestly, I loved it. It's so nicely done, down to the littlest details. It's so obvious that the owners take genuine pride in this place.

The carriage is incredible, the breakfast was insane, and they are genuinely nice people.

Perfect.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
4 Mar 2015
Hi Marc
Glad you guys enjoyed your stay was great meeting you's. Go the warriors
Hope you loved your flying lesson
Thanks Mike & Susie-lee
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing