All reviews cliff house expansive views gorgeous house cheese platter bird life two nights deck kiwi hosts hideaway
Reviewed 12 August 2015

I had the absolute pleasure of staying at the Guest House for 2 months when I first moved to Whangarei. It is easily, hands down, the most beautiful place I have ever had the pleasure of staying. I am currently typing this review sat on the decking, bathed in the sun, hidden amongst native bush with the most SPECTACULAR view of the Poor Knights Islands. This is a secluded beauty! Paul, the owner, is super friendly, helpful and was always at hand for any questions or queries. The Guest House is beautifully furnished, beautifully decorated and deliciously warm and the attention to detail is incredible, right down to the crisp linen, lovely dressing gowns and big fluffy towels! I cannot recommend this place enough; come and sit on the deck, absorb the view, listen to the kiwis call and remember what life is for. Thanks for everything, Paul.

Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2015

The reviews say it all for this place (Cliff House), it's simply amazing. We could not fault a single thing.

We were a group of five adults and there was plenty of space, you could easily fit another two adults very comfortably...more if you want to squeeze a few more in.

All you need to think about is food before you arrive, everything else is catered for.

An escape off the grid, with breathtaking scenery and all the comforts of a luxury hotel.

My top tip, go outside later in the evening and lay on the grass looking at the stars. I've never seen so many shooting stars....magical!

Date of stay: April 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2015

We spent 3 nights in the Guest House at the end of 2 weeks first visit to New Zealand.
A place with views to die for!
Great place to relax and enjoy the scenery.
Clean,comfortable accommodation you could not wish for better.

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeanharris
Reviewed 25 March 2015

I was fortunate enough to be recommended to this place.
I shared it with great friends of mine.
I was astounded when I walked in to the Ara Road Guest House at just how well it was appointed.
You could have been mistaken for staying in a 5 star luxury hotel, right down to the lovely linen bath robes that were supplied.
The view was spectacular, the ambiance serene and the privacy afforded was simply 10 out of 10.
Nothing was too much trouble for the owners/managers.
It was so good in fact that I booked an extra night just to soak up all that was on offer.
I highly recommend this place if you want a quick jaunt particularly from Auckland to get away to relax and unwind. Thanks heaps Paul and Susanne, I will definitely be back.

Room tip: Be prepared to stay longer that you initially anticipated, this place is simply brilliant!!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Puhoi
Reviewed 24 March 2015

We stayed here in early March for a wedding. We stayed in The Barn. Friends of ours stayed in The Cliff House so we were only a short walk away when we wanted to catch up. The Barn provided ample room for the 3 couples that stayed there, as well as being clean, comfortable and well stocked. The Barn also has a pool table, trampoline, gym equipment, fishing rods, boogie boards and other assorted sporting equipment. The grounds were immaculate, (nice mowing Paul!) and the views were breathtaking. You can lounge around and do nothing or take one of the many walks (maps are provided) that will lead you to the rock pool and hill tops. Where ever you end up the view is always amazing. The wedding was a great success and we only wish we could have stayed on longer.

• Trip type: Travelled with family