“A gem”
Review of Kawul

Kawul
Ranked #13 of 56 Restaurants in Pokolbin
Price range: US$12 - US$37
Description: With respect and gratitude to the Hunter Valley’s first people of the Wanaruah Nation, whose land we eat on today, We present Kawul. A local Indigenous based restaurant in the heart of the Hunter Valley. “ The spirit of Kawul is embodied in the wedge tailed eagle. The Wanaruah see the eagle and know Kawul is looking over them. Protecting them. ” Our focus at Kawul is to look back to the local and native produce used by our ancestors. Jayden and his team focus on creating dishes that complement the land and the region. The use of native bush spices and organic local produce on the mostly vegan menu connects us to our roots.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A lovely place with an amazing menu with a focus on native ingredients. Lots of vegan options. Friendly and helpful staff. I had the gnocchi with macadamia cream, warrigal greens and oyster mushrooms and it was divine.

Date of visit: January 2021
Write a reviewReviews (550)

Reviewed 27 December 2020 via mobile

What a great find! With most venues closed following Boxing Day, it was such a pleasant surprise to find this excellent dining experience. The staff were friendly, pleasant and super helpful and the food...fantastic! Being used to ‘std’ thin bacon, the thick slice of bacon topped with spicy BBQ basting, was an absolute treat. The rest of the party’s meals were as good, based on their reaction. Definitely be back!

Reviewed 27 December 2020 via mobile

We booked for breakfast for 4. Staff were a bit slow to serve initially and we had to call out to the waitress (who didn’t respond) for extra coffees. Two meals arrived before the others, then another table got the next round of meals and our other two came. The zucchini and kumera rosti were clearly burnt, which we said to the waitress who said “no they’re not, they all look like that”. She later came to ask if all was ok. What’s the point of that? We already said something wasn’t right and you told us “yes it is”. Jedi mind-trick.

Reviewed 4 December 2020

From the beginning,
The front door was locked so we wait outside in the sweltering heat. Ended up getting inside and the 10 of us sat down at a table in the air conditioning - relieved. We were then asked to move outside to our outdoor table. The entire restaurant had 1 other table of 2. We then sat outside in the sweltering 30-35 degree heat. No compromise from the staff.

Then, ordered drinks. I asked the staff member if the lemonade were in cans or if it was post mix, as a girlfriend and I wanted to split a can. She told me they only have house made. On the menu, the lemonade was $4. I ended up paying $6 at the end of the meal, I told the lady it was $4 on the menu and she didn’t care. The lemonade was foul (as voted by the entire table).
The food had strange flavours, the lamb was tough, and ridiculously small portions across all meals. The size of the gnocchi was truely a joke. I would expect meals this size to be an entree. All 10 of us left absolutely hungry.
My partner left a review on Facebook with polite yet constructive criticism, yet the person on the Facebook account responded saying we were in the wrong and explaining how they were in the right. As a restaurant manager myself, with years and years of experience managing in hotels, restaurants and events I’d like to give some advice to the person who commented on our Facebook post, and who I assume is going to respond to this as well - You need to learn how to accept feedback and use it to benefit your company. This is not personal to you. This is how your restaurant can be better. Your staff did not give us a single opportunity to provide feedback in person. Your staff told us they did not have cans. Your staff did not fix up the bill with the incorrect total. Your staff did not compromise with a table when we were 1 of two bookings and wanted to sit inside. This is an opportunity to train your staff members, readjust your costings in the kitchen to allow for larger meal portions, and amend the mistakes you’ve made. I can see by many other trip advisor reviews this is the same feedback from 2020 to years back. While you have mentioned in the Facebook post you believe the staff member did do all these things correctly, myself and my 9 friends can assure you she did not.

We passed this message onto our tour company and bus company who I believe will no longer be visiting your venue.

All 10 of us look forward to sharing our poor experience with others so they can avoid disappointment and a huge waste of money.

4  Thank 894breannac
Reviewed 27 November 2020

We enjoyed a fabulous breakfast on the balcony at Kawul. The location is very peaceful and really pretty. The service and food were excellent and we would readily visit again.

Date of visit: November 2020