“Very long....make sure you have enough time”

Southern Scenic Route
Reviewed 28 June 2018

I wish we had planned to do the drive over 2 days, so I could've stopped off at a few more places (only did nugget point and purakaunui falls), but overall, the drive was easy (but long....) and very scenic.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"well worth the effort"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 7 June 2018

Not the most direct, but certainly the most scenic way around the bottom of the South Island. Must make sure you have allowed the time to stop at several of the tourist sites along the journey.

Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

I had read somewhere that this was in the top 10 drives in the world. I am pleased I have done it, but it’s not that good, and I don’t need to do it again.

However, we did most of it in quite grey, overcast weather, which doesn’t help. And at high tide (which couldn’t be helped unfortunately either)

Seeing sea lions, lighthouses, waterfalls was lovely. But once you have seen one of them, I didn’t feel desperate to see more.

I think the drives through central Otago and the west coast are more spectacular.

There are very few provisions. Only a few unmanned petrol pumps at random towns, very few food outlets. So take a picnic, take your bottled water, fuel up before you go, take a map (no phone coverage) and settle in for a nice (but not spectacular) drive.

1  Thank RachaelMG
Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

Maybe it was because we had an overcast day, but I just don’t get why this drive is so highly rated. For spectacular scenery, driving through Central Otago is much better in my opinion.
Yes, we saw waterfalls and lighthouses and sea lions but it just didn’t feel that special. Maybe also because we kept seeing the same people in each scenic stop off, about 10 of whom were fully set up for long photography sessions each time.

There were virtually no rest / picnic areas to stop for a break so we stood in a car park & ate our picnic.

We had researched the drive in advance but the lack of mobile phone coverage made it hard to decide which detours would be worth taking once we were en route. Little in the way of decent warning signs of points of interest up ahead.

Fill up with Petrol in invercargill as there is only small pump after leaving invercargill. Take insect repellent as the car parks are full of them near the waterfall spots.

We started in invercargill and ended in Dunedin.

1  Thank ppppaulau