“Not the best food I’ve had”

The Foundry Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 117 Restaurants in Invercargill
Price range: US$9 - US$37
Description: Completed in November 2016, The Foundry is a brand new restaurant and bar with ambiance, style and quality decor. Not only can you enjoy the spectacular atmosphere on offer, but you can also reap the benefits of a modern menu featuring seasonally selected dishes. Come in for a intimate dinner for two or a family night out. Whatever you desire, we have something to suit every occasion. Park in our spacious carpark off Gimblett Street and come on in. We look forward to seeing you.
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We came as part of a work social club dinner. We were served by an excellent young waiter, he was polite, friendly and very good at his job so I have no complaints about his service. However I found the food average. I ordered the Sticky Asian Pork Belly. The reason for this was because the menu stated that it came with “crispy crackling” something I love. The meal came out and it was immediately evident that there was no crackling. It was like rubber. 3 other people at the table ordered the same thing and all of them had the same complaint. One of my colleagues even sent hers back, she got given another one. But this time the crackling was burnt and slightly less rubber like. She sent this back also and went without. The flavours were ok but to be honest I wouldn’t rush back. Overpriced and underwhelming would be how I described the food here. My suggestion is remove the words crispy and crackling from the menu until the chef works out how to deliver that.

Date of visit: June 2018
3  Thank 124taniap
JoshuaHyde, Manager at The Foundry Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2018

Hi Tania,

Thank you for your response.

I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations on the night.
I have talked to our head chef about this matter. This isn't your traditional cracking roast pork, the pork is served with the crackling on the side of the pork itself. It is crackle, but we have reviewed this and have also added extra crackling to the dish.

As we have just started this new menu 2 weeks ago, there will be a couple of teething problems. For this, we do rely on our customers feedback on the night and appreciate any feedback that they can give us. We have had wonderful feedback about this dish and also our new menu in general. So it does sadden me to hear we didn't satisfy you on the night. I do welcome you back to try this dish again or any other dish on our menu :)

I am pleased to hear that our service with our waiter was of high marks.

If you have any other questions about this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Reviewed 2 June 2018

Impressed with this venue. Open area but easy to talk. Good friendly service. Meal was amazing. Not full of salad & chips. Well balanced, good amount of meal and beautifully cooked. Dessert was a little small for price but very nice - needed more! Only things I could suggest if I was being really fussy would have loved to been asked how our meals were (we were all very happy with them) & offered more drinks. We'll be going back, loved it!

Date of visit: June 2018

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback, it is very much appreciated.

I am glad that you enjoyed your overall dining experience. I will follow up with my staff that they are double checking they are checking in with their tables. This generally isn't a problem and I apologise that this was missed.

However, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

This is a great around place to dine, either restaurant quality, bar meal,to go for a drink or a nite out. Went and had a bar meal on Friday I,had heard only good things about this place. Really good service good meals at really good prices without lacking in quantity or quality

Date of visit: May 2018
JoshuaHyde, Manager at The Foundry Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Hi Denise,

Thanks for your great response and taking the time to post your review, it is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

Good pub fare. But the lamb and pork were off the menu.
We tried all three versions of the steak. Garlic butter portion was huge.
Pepper sauce had an earthy flavour.

Good service. Nice atmosphere.

Date of visit: May 2018
JoshuaHyde, Manager at The Foundry Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2018

Hi Warren,

Thank you for dining with us at the Foundry Restaurant.
The Ribeye steak is one of our popular dishes on our menu, I'm glad you got the opportunity to try this with all three sauces.4

All 3 sauces, Garlic butter, Peppercorn sauce and Mushroom sauce is all made fresh on the day.

Overall, I'm pleased you enjoyed your dining experience.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Friendly and great service the service was very sharp and the atmosphere was ideal..the food was perfect...thanks to all involved

Date of visit: April 2018

Hi Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to post your great feedback, it is very much appreciated! I am happy to hear you had such a wonderful experience with us. I hope to see you again soon!