Novotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
  • Room Service
  • Fitness centre
US$136
Savings alert! 12% below average rates

The price you found is 12% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$154/night.

US$220
US$132
  • Pool
Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$83
US$77
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$87/night.

The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$50
US$40
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Airport Motor Lodge(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$114
US$104
Priceline
Reviews (2 132)
2 132 results
All reviewsportlander restaurantharbour viewrailway stationbuffet breakfastsmall kitchenettevalet parkingroom servicegood sizethe air conditioningwestpac stadiumcomfortable bedpillow menumini barsouth islandgreat roomnew zealandper day
28 - 33 of 2 132 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

I returned to the Rydges Hotel after a break. They had a winter deal on which made it a really great deal.

Great location and really good facilities which include the pool, gym and Sauna, unusual for a CBD hotel.

Good food and friendly service
All in all a well deserved 5 star

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Morgan-McGhee, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Wellington and took advantage of our Be Free winter deal! We hope to see you again soon!

Sales & Marketing Coordinator
Rydges Wellington

Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here on many occasions over the last 10 years and I have to say - it’s getting tired.

Comfy enough, the foods ok, and, generally, the staff are ok. But it’s tired.

And the front desk staff, are, on the whole, a bit stiff and a tad “officious”. Time for a make over me thinks.

2  Thank Teherenga
Morgan-McGhee, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Hi Teherenga,

Thank you for your review. Despite not having a 100% positive stay, we do appreciate the feedback from guests and especially regulars. We'll take your thoughts in to consideration and I'll relay your feedback to the team. Thank you again for your thoughts.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

I enjoyed my stay in a king room. It was clean and comfortable. The pillows were amazing - like clouds. It had cooking facilities and was a good size. The only thing that I did not like was that the shower was over the bath which was quite high and there was nothing to hold onto getting in and out of shower so did not feel very safe being a shorter person. Staff were very friendly and efficient. Nice and close to railway station and Lambton Quay. I would recommend this hotel. I did ask about parking and was told there was parking but only if there was space available at the time so would think twice about driving.

Room Tip: A view of the water would be nice but I overlooked the city
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank NZKIWINewZealand
Morgan-McGhee, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Overall we're glad you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Wellington, and will take on your feedback about the shower access. We're glad this didn't affect your stay too much, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2018

We stayed at the Rydges Wellington for three nights on a long weekend trip to Wellington. We booked a standard double bed room (known as a Superior Double Double) on a package including buffet breakfast for NZD $170/night, directly on the Rydges website.

The hotel is located about 20 minutes from Wellington Airport and we arrived shortly after midnight on Friday night / Saturday morning after our flight from Sydney. The hotel lobby was clean, modern and welcoming. Check-in was good, the only suggestion I would have is that the receptionist could have been a little more talkative and taken a few moments to go through the key features of the hotel such as Wi-Fi, gym etc and advise us of the details of the breakfast buffet, although he was happy to provide me with the breakfast details when I asked. Having said that, given it was nearing 1am we were keen to get some sleep so we were glad that the overall process was super quick and we were heading up to our room in minutes!

Our room was located on the 12th floor and we were pleased to find we had received a complimentary upgrade from a Superior room to a City View room, apparently worth ~$50/night according to the hotel website! From our room we had a view of the street below as well as the top of The Beehive. The room was sufficiently large for the two of us with two 'Rydges Dream' beds, table and chairs, plenty of closet space and a complimentary in-room safe. The TV had a huge variety of local and international channels including multiple movie and sports channels, there will definitely be something on for everyone. The mini-bar had a variety of snacks and beverages and interestingly for a hotel room, there was a fully functional kitchenette with stove top, microwave, kettle, toaster and sink! They provided plenty of dishes and glassware and there was a sign saying that cookware could be delivered to the room on request.

The bathroom was spacious, the combined bath/shower was very good and the complimentary toiletries were of a decent quality. The Wi-Fi in the room was reasonably fast and reliable although it came with a data limit of 2GB per day; more than enough for the basic stuff but watch out if you're thinking of streaming some Netflix or something during your stay!

The room was suitable for both short-term guests as well as longer term guests who could make use of the kitchenette. We didn't have any of the issues other guests have mentioned with the air-conditioning unit or the quality of toiletries in the bathroom, both were fine from my experience. In our short stay I came across a couple of small issues in the room. One was a bath towel which had a huge hole in the centre of it, we didn't bother asking for another one because there was a spare but it should have been taken out of circulation rather than being sent back for guest use. Another was that on our arrival there was a half empty bottle of shampoo left in the shower, not the end of the world but it's something you would think housekeeping would take care of on their cleanup. The quality of housekeeping was fine for the rest of the stay though! Finally, not sure if it was my particular bed or the Dream beds in general but I wasn't a huge fan, it didn't offer very much support and felt rather 'flimsy', although the pillows were great and for the length of my stay it wasn't a massive deal. Overall for the price paid it was a nice, modern room and I was happy with it.

In terms of dining, the hotel has 24-hour room service as well as the Portlander Bar and Grill. The buffet breakfast was served at Portlander. The hotel advertises their breakfast a fair bit, both online and within the hotel and the spread was certainly of a high quality. The hot food selection included sausages, black pudding, hash browns, roast potatoes, mushrooms, two types of bacon (crispy American-style and middle bacon in a British style), baked beans, scrambled eggs and pancakes. In the chilled section they had a very tastefully presented selection of juices, milks and yoghurts in individual bottles and jars (if you're looking for the orange juice though, it's at the bottom of the fridge in jugs!), as well as a variety of cold meats, cheeses and fresh fruit. They also had a variety of bakery items including bread and pastries. Not sure what the situation with coffee is as we didn't have any, I heard someone being told there was a charge although I imagine filter coffee would be included. Also I saw a few people having plated breakfasts being brought to their table although I think they may have been having an a la carte breakfast, as there certainly weren't any signs or anything to indicate that cooked-to-order items like omelettes were available/included. It was all good, high quality Kiwi produce and the food certainly exceeded our expectations. I was sad that we had to leave early on our last morning and miss out on a final breakfast, but there is probably a little bit of work to do on improving service at the restaurant. On our first day the waiter at the front crossed us off on the list and then said we could sit wherever we want, which would have been perfectly fine if it had been quiet but instead almost every table was packed and eventually when we found one there weren't any settings and it took another ten minutes for someone to bring us cutlery. On the second day we had a better experience and the waitress showed us to a table, however they were pretty busy and despite their best efforts it seemed the hotel hadn't rostered enough staff to cater for a busy Sunday morning. Still despite the service issues I was very happy with the breakfast and would recommend it if you can get it in a package at a discounted rate. On our package we were quite lucky as it worked out to be the same price as the room only rate!

We didn't use many other facilities at the hotel, although I understand they have a leisure centre with indoor lap pool and a gym, we could see a bit of the gym from the street outside and although it looked a bit small they had plenty of equipment. Apart from breakfast we also had a drink on Sunday evening at the hotel bar, service was good and they had a decent selection although there are plenty of bars and pubs around Wellington to choose from so I would definitely recommend going out and exploring!

Wellington is a small city by world standards and as such it's very easy to walk pretty much anywhere in the CBD and surrounds. Having said that, the hotel is in a very convenient location! Just a block up from the hotel is the parliament precinct including the Beehive, various government buildings and offices around it as well as churches. There are free tours of parliament seven days a week and we found our visit interesting and insightful. One block in the other direction and you will find the train station and the Victoria University campus, there was even a McDonald's there which traded late into the night, perfect for a late night snack after a night on the town! There is a service station across the road with attached convenience store and if you continue down Featherston Street you can make it to Lambton Quay in a few minutes, where there are plenty of shops (including a Countdown/Woolworths supermarket) and the cable car station. If you head towards the water there are plenty of attractions including the Wellington Museum and Te Papa both within walking distance, as well as many restaurants and bars. During our stay we had dinner at the Belgian restaurant Leuven on Featherston Street and Charley Noble on the waterfront, both were excellent although Leuven is more casual dining and Charley Noble is a little pricier. I would recommend both! If you're looking to have a drink there is a pub called The Featherston just down the road for a quick drink, however if you're looking to make a night of it my recommendation would be to head down to the Courtenay Place / Cuba Street precinct. The rooftop bar Dirty Little Secret was amazing, great atmosphere and a good selection of drinks as well as a live DJ. I was a bit apprehensive given the cold and the wind but they had heaters and it was well protected from the wind; I would actually say it's one of my favourite bars I've visited anywhere in the world! We also visited J J Murphy's on Cuba Street, an Irish bar with a great atmosphere and live sport, although somewhat disappointingly they didn't know what a 'whiskey and red' was! Maybe it was my accent. Keep in mind if you're planning on going out for a drink, from our experience and what my Wellingtonian friends have told me it is the norm to ask for a passport as a form of identification, even an Aussie driver's license is insufficient under NZ law! I was a bit surprised to be asked for ID for the first time in some years but I just took it as a compliment :)

A little further from town you will find Zealandia, a wildlife sanctuary built to give native New Zealand wildlife a protected home. I'd highly recommend the sanctuary if you want to get a taste of the natural side of New Zealand, it is huge and given its location in a secluded valley, it is easy to forget you are just minutes away from a world capital! I'd also recommend a trip to Mount Victoria for the excellent views of the city and surrounds. For the journeys a little further from the hotel we made use of Uber. There are plenty of drivers in the city and we never had to wait more than 1-2 minutes, even at odd hours of the morning and fares are fixed so there aren't any surprises. There is plenty to keep you occupied for a weekend in Wellington but for anything longer than that you're probably going to want to go for a drive or something, there's only so much to do.

Our 7am flight meant an early departure from the hotel and check out was once again as quick as check-in. It's not something you really think about when booking a hotel but I was quite pleased with the way they didn't actually charge us for the room until check-out and only took a NZ $50 deposit at check-in, very different from most international hotels where $100/night deposits and full prepayment at check-in is often the norm!

All in all I was happy with my stay at the Rydges, a couple of small issues yes but at the end of the day they are a 4-star, not a 5-star hotel and for the price paid I think I received very good value for money. I was tossing up between the Novotel and the Rydges when booking and think I definitely made the right choice, especially with the complimentary upgrade the Rydges gave us. The hotel is well suited to both the business and leisure traveler and is a welcoming place to come home to after a long day out. If you are looking for a luxury experience with top-notch service I would recommend somewhere like the InterContinental or the QT, however for those looking for something in the mid-range price bracket and not expecting over-the-top opulence and service it is an excellent choice.

Hope this review has been helpful! If you have any questions please feel free to message me.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
5  Thank Stephen R
Morgan-McGhee, Sales & Marketing Coordinator at Rydges Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thorough review! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and the complimentary room upgrade. Please accept our apologies for the small issues you had with the room and house keeping but I'm glad they didn't affect your stay too much! Also your feedback from check-in, to the restaurant service, and right up until check-out will help us to smooth out any areas we may need to, so thanks again for that. We hope to see you again at Rydges Wellington in the future.

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

Good central location,although difficult to park out the front with so much traffic. Pleasant hotel staff, room was nicely set up and very comfortable. Very generous room service breakfast. My only complaint was the noise, people running up and down the hallway at 11pm, and even though I was on the 12th floor I could hear so much street traffic, really disappointing.

Hi ToothfairyGal,

Thank you for your feedback; we appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. Overall we're glad you enjoyed your stay at Rydges Wellington, however do accept our apologies for the noise issues. We're glad this didn't affect your stay too much, and we hope to see you again soon.