All reviews thai restaurant on site close to town great location spa bath large bathroom one bedroom unit new owners heat pump one night restaurants and bars short stroll awesome stay underfloor heating the managers place to stay enjoyed our stay comfortable bed
Reviewed 12 April 2018 via mobile

As my husband is in a wheelchair we chose to stay here as the reviews were good for the accessible room it was good but quite dated. We had a great weekend at a wedding although the room was not cleaned till 3pm on the day of the wedding which was right when we were getting dressed. On checkout date the manager Ron was at the door at 10am sharp asking when we were leaving I explained that we were going to be a bit late as my husband was without going into detail having issues in the bathroom a common thing for paraplegics . He returned 20 mins later to remind me that in his contract we had to be out by 10 I pleaded with him that as my husband Is totally wheelchair bound this was a problem due to his morning cares which can not be rushed . No sympathy here just get out as I’ve paid cleaners ( the same cleaners who didn’t turn up till 3 the day before) . He then turned up at 10.40 to demand we leave ( we were 5 mins from leaving) I was so distraught I told him to go away and leave me alone , packing up wheelchairs , commodes and all the luggage withhim on my back was just awful I was so humiliated . My husband went to pay the bill and Ron complained I had been rude to him unbelievable .. Every motel we have stayed in in New Zealand has been fantastic in this situation we try to get out in time but sometimes you have
No control. Will never stay here again . Ron you need to learn about compassion .

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron H, Owner at Prince Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Rochelle
While we appreciate that your departure on 6 February was over 2 months ago, and none of us are getting any younger, we find your recollections differ widely from our records.

Between early September 2017 and your arrival there were many communications – included our changing the room type so that you could have our mobility unit, and then in January you changed the dates. Our checkout time was clearly noted as being ‘by 10am’ on all four (4) of the booking confirmations we sent to you.

Where possible we do our best to manage late checkouts for people, and had you at any point indicated that a late checkout was going to be required - we would have done our best for you too.

On the day we could see you were running late, and with your husband being in a wheelchair we waited until closer to 10.30 before speaking with you. You were quite testy with me saying you were having a problem but were close to being on your way.

As you were now more than an hour late we checked again after 11am - asking if everything was OK. At this point you were quite curt saying we just had to wait until you were ready to leave.

Our copy of the receipt shows that it was in fact 11.24 in the morning before your husband paid for the restaurant meal by EFT-POS - your Bank can confirm that as being the correct time. Our file record notes that you then finished packing and left about 20 minutes after that. That is more than 1.5 hours after our check-out window had closed, and one hour later than you mention in your review.

Further, our cleaning team had completed their work, tidied up, and left by 2.30pm the day before – they were not knocking on your door at 3pm. Finally – although encouraged to leave as we needed to clean and air the unit for the next guest - you were never told to 'get out'.

Certainly that was not a good morning for you, but we hope the above differences will allow you to reflect on your review and remove it.

Rgds, Ron

Reviewed 3 April 2018

In all our travels all around the world, I have NEVER come across such a rude and arrogant person in a hospitality/accommodation situation as the Manager (Ron) at Prince Motor Lodge!! After phoning to try and find out rates for the Taupo concert weekend next January and if "concert goers" were even going to be allowed to stay, Ron very bluntly and rudely told me in one sentence "I will send you an accommodation request form to sign and agree to the terms and conditions, you will return it to me to be considered. I have to go now" and promptly hung up the phone!!!!
Our group will NEVER stay here again or recommend it to anybody. The rooms are quite dated and in bad need of refurbishment. The shower in our room has had tape on the floor of it for years. There are endless properties in Taupo far superior to this one, with friendly, helpful management. Do yourself a favour and stay at one of those.

Room Tip: choose another motel
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah L
Ron H, Owner at Prince Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

We always give our Summer Concert goers priority by providing an application form in every room for those wanting to return the following year – as your group had each completed in 2016 and 2017.

As is usual the majority completed those forms, but none of your group re-applied. Two months later you call wanting to have a multi-unit booking confirmed over the telephone, which you were politely advised several times was not possible as others had applied in the interim.

You were most insistent, wanting to have your group booking confirmed there and then. Being the Easter weekend we were running full and were busy with people in our reception area waiting on our attention. Eventually we were left with no option but to curtail the call.

Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Big room! Clean and tidy and well stocked. Great atmosphere and super friendly and helpful staff! Allowed us space to park a second vehicle and happy provided darker coloured towels for my bright pink hair!! Nice safe parking area. Awesome location - just what we were looking for!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron H, Owner at Prince Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Hi Shanee
Thank you so much for your positive and encouraging feedback - just so great for the team to see that. We really do appreciate knowing that the team were helpful and looked after you, and that our accommodation worked so well for you both. Ron really liked your new car, you are definitely going to have some fun with that!

Hopefully we shall see you back when you are ready to run it out at the Taupo track.

With our very kind regards, Mairi, Ron, and Rachel

Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

When planning our NZ trip, I was SO disappointed in the hotels - I reserved a lot of Air BnBs and bef and breakfast places, because I thought these motor lodges just had no flair. We booked the Prince Motor Lodge just one day before, and it actually ended up being our favorite place for the trip. It‘s so close to town, and having just a 5 minute walk to dinner or drinks was nice (or go to the pretty decent Thai place at the hotel). It was SO great to have a couch! That was something we missed after a week of cramped spaces. They have EXCELLENT and FAST wifi and SMART TVs!!! We binged on netflix in the evening after a day of hiking. The small kitchenette has everything you need, the bathroom was huge, with good water pressure and hot water. And the king-size bed was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! This was the first and only really good night‘s sleep we had on vacation. Great bedding and duvet. Liked also having the ceiling fan for warm nights.
And the owners are great - very personable and with tons of tips for things to do in the area. This place totally changed my opinion of motor lodges. Thank you!!!

1  Thank laurashoffnung
Ron H, Owner at Prince Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Hi Laura
That is a truly heart warming review, our team 'really' appreciate the positive feedback.

Thank you for taking the time to share just why it was you enjoyed your stay with us - our Location, a comfortable couch, Fast WiFi, Smart TV's, Kitchenette, huge Bathroom, great water pressure, an AMAZING King size bed with great bedding - plus an informative and helpful team.

To know that our guests are able to leave PRINCE having felt welcomed and been comfortable is what we are all about, and we thank you again for sharing that as you have.

With our very kindest regards, Mairi, Ron, and Rachel

Reviewed 6 March 2018

We go to Taupo every year and our choice of accommodation is Prince Motor Lodge. It is simple with what it provides, a good clean room (king size bed), great location, excellent pricing and owner/managers who go out of their way to make our stay the best it can be. Thanks again Ron.
There is also an attached Thai restaurant that is great.

Room Tip: Rooms near the laundry may be noisy if you sleep during the day. I don’t think all rooms have king beds.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron H, Owner at Prince Motor Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Hi PeterV771
It is really good to see you coming back to PRINCE again and again, especially when comfort is such an important factor when doing a major event like Ironman. We hope your recovery is going well, and that you have a great year back home in Australia.

We look forward to seeing you both again next year, and will be confirming your booking to you shortly.

With our very warmest regards, Mairi, Ron, and Rachel