“Very disappointing both food and service”
Review of Federici Cafe

Federici Cafe
Ranked #463 of 4 476 Restaurants in Melbourne
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

I visited here with my mother with dinner before the ballet as a birthday treat for her and were unfortunately unhappy with the experience. We often go out together and always look forward to having a nice meal before the theatre. I had booked in advance and they had our table ready for us when we arrived and were quick to offer us water and menus.
Although no fault of the restaurant, the door which opened to the theatre (which clearly stated from the theatre side was an exit door only!) was continually opened from that side letting in blasts of cold air throughout our time there. Perhaps it would have been better to lock the door from the theatre side to allow patrons to eat in comfort.

We had to wait some time before someone took our drinks order and we had to ask them rather than they come to us. We ordered a glass of wine each and then ordered a bowl of olives to enjoy with our drinks. We both explained clearly that we were in no rush and would like to enjoy our drinks and olives without being rushed to have our main meal. we explicitly asked for a break before being served our main courses.
In less than 10 Minutes our mains had arrived. My mother had wanted to have a glass of red wine with her mains but had barely drunk any of her glass of pre dinner white by this stage.
My meal was satisfactory but a little underwhelming. Quite salty and with little other flavour. The fish was cooked well but the sweet potato was barely to be seen and the red wine jus had little flavour. My mother’s duck was over cooked and the lentil accompaniment was bland. Both dishes were warm rather than hot. We did alert the waitress to this at the end of the meal but nothing was followed up with us. She asked for explicit details so she could tell the chef - given this we expected some feedback but none was forthcoming.
As we still had some time before the show started we ordered a cheese platter. This was tasty but over priced ($24) for 3 small pieces of cheese. By the time this finally arrived and I asked several times for the accompanying glasses of wine previous ordered, it was time to go into the theatre. We were told that our cheese platter and wine could be left on the table for us to finish during the interval. This was a lovely touch and one we appreciated and took advantage of.
Overall this was a disappointing experience and one which could have been so much better with a little more attention and better service. Given its proximity to the theatre they are well placed to do a roaring trade and maybe they rely on that rather than providing excellent service and quality food.
It’s a pity because next time we visit this theatre, we will eat elsewhere.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a great bistro in a great location! Had an outstanding coffee during the intermission at the Princess Theatre. Definately a go-to when visiting the theatre!

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Nice little bistro attached to the Princess Theatre. Feels classy here. Superior long black on offer. Nice servers as well. Good place to meet someone or to sit a while and contemplate. Without tasting food I’d give it an initial 3.5, ie 70%, but sadly that option is no longer or not available.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Although the decision was a last minute one, and short window before the theatre, we were promptly seated, and our order taken.

My wife had the entrée Spicy buffalo chicken wings with house hot sauce as her meal and she ate it all and said it was delicious (which is unusual for her).

I had the Seared smoked salmon with artichokes, dried tomatoes and asparagus, rocket and marinated fetta, aged balsamic which was delicious. I could easily have eaten a bigger portion but then I'm somewhat unrealistic. A really tasty meal.

We were offered flat or sparkling water and my wife had a huge orange juice.

No additions such as bread were offered but that was probably good for us.

Service was prompt, efficient, and courteous.

All up, we couldn't fault the experience for what we had and what our needs were (i.e. fast, good and efficient.)

AND they accepted Amex with no surcharge - now that's a pleasant and very commercial approach - well done folks.

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

If its quality cakes, fine wines or a nice coffee you’re looking for, you may want to give Federici Cafe a go. Situation near Parliament at the top of Bourke Street, there are four or five Cafe’s in a row and they are all very good.

Federici has a Mon-Fri brunch menu which looks great too.

Service to the street tables is fast and friendly and its a relaxed place to chill out and people watch.

Pre-theatre may get busy however as its next door.