“Great setting, serivce and food”

Franklin Restaurant Bar
Ranked #112 of 655 Restaurants in Hobart
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A bar-cum-restaurant in an old Ford showroom (c. 1923) wedged between the former home of Hobart’s Mercury newspaper and a car park. Our menu changes daily and focuses on locally sourced produce – some of which we forage for ourselves. Our kitchen’s smack-bang in the centre of the restaurant and is totally exposed, meaning Analiese and her team prepare fine fare right before your eyes. And like that isn’t special enough, most of the cooking is done in a ten-tonne Scotch oven large enough to hold a small cow (or human). Not hungry? We have a bar area that features an impressive assortment of spirits, ever-changing ales and, of course, wine, most of which is minimal intervention sourced from near and far.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The setting is amazing, warm and the staff are amazingly friendly. The feed me option is a great way to sample the dishes and only one was not to our liking.

1  Thank Shane C

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

After 18 months, I came back to Hobart for Dark Mofo festival. Franklin offers set lunch menu for $45 for 7 degustation menu. My 2yo son had poo accident at the 5th course mark so I had to leave. The dishes tasted were all yummy & I appreciate the waiter didn't charge me for the juice ordered as I didn't finisht the entire menu. Nice service indeed. We will be back.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hard to justify it's reputation based on our visit. Good positive impact from staff- in fact our waiter was excellent.
We secured a last minute seat around the bar and that is where the trouble started. As we were within 1.5 metres of the chef, we could see much of the preparation detail.
Horrified to see chef "triple dipping" with his tasting spoon and later "blowing" on a frypan to remove dust. We brought the "triple dipping" offence to the attention of our waiter who promised to bring the matter to the chef's attention, though clearly there is a lot more to be learned as the chef didn't seem to mind blowing his frypan clean later in the evening.
Oysters were fantastic and wines comfortably priced.
Food portions are small and meant to be shared.
Regrettably we left mid dinner after he second hygiene incident with the chef.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

From the incredibly friendly, warm service to the brilliant fit out to the words cannot describe how fantastic the food is to the cocktails to the wine my goodness. The best restaurant experience I’ve ever had. And it was great value as well! It is simply a must.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Beautiful food and eclectic wine list in a stunning space, definitely worth a visit. Knowledgable staff with very slick service