All reviews old style microwave and toaster city centre step back in time bottle shop quiet location pleasant stay staff at reception spacious rooms motel heater furniture parking tarrif derwent salamanca mt
Reviewed 13 October 2018

Love to support a family business with pleasant customer service. Beautiful old style motel. Very handy to town and easy to find. Nice for budget too. Not all the bells and whistles but certainly a pleasant stay.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Jolz F
Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Been a long time since we last stayed here. Was thinking maybe 10 years, but worked out more like 18! Last time we were in a ruoom close to the street and people opposite in a private house decided to have a huge domestic late in the evening. Kind of put us off returning, but no such dramas this time thank goodness.

Lady at reception was very down to earth and friendly. Check in was quick aand easy. The rooms are dated, but very spacious and clean. We paid a very reasonable room Tarrif and amenities included a microwave (a must have for us) and a 32" LCD tv.

Bed was firm but acceptable. Wall mounted bar heater in bathroom was a positive as many don't have heating in there, but room heating was a bit light on! Only a relatively small heat bank. We both feel the cold and I dont think it would have been adequate had we not packed a small ceramic fan heater for such occasions. Even with that running all night, room was only just warm enough.

However, considering all the positives mentioned above including the spacious rooms, llow tarrif and friendly service, still worth a 4 I think.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darryl B
Reviewed 3 June 2018

For less than $90 I was about $7 by taxi from city centre, or 20 mins if I walked downhill. Rooms as described elsewhere are dated and tired, but mine was clean and well made up daily - stayed 4 days. Breakfast in room was OK, simple. The manager needs to place "How to warm your room" instructions - its floor heating so turn up the thermostat to high - it takes several hours..... There were NO comings and goings from any apartments indicating previously described practices under previous owners.....
I was very happy to stay here and will do again. Friendly office people - all 3 whom I met, could not do enough to help me.

Date of stay: June 2018
1  Thank alistair l
Sarah K, General Manager at Mayfair on Cavell, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Thank you for your honest and kind review. We would also like to thank you for your continued loyalty when visiting Hobart although the business has now changed hands. We are committed to providing a pleasant enjoyable stay at Motel Mayfair on Cavell. Thank you for noting their were and are no comings and goings from other rooms as we are a family friendly Motel. We looked forward to your return visit's and reviews as we upgrade over the coming months.

Reviewed 2 February 2018

Great history attached to this motel with great views from our balcony. The original building is beautiful both indoors and outdoors. The room was large, clean and comfortable and in a quiet location with very little street noise. Many old and beautiful buildings are in the same location and we took a quiet evening stroll to enjoy them

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review, West Hobart is a beautiful area for a stroll and to take in the wonderful views of Hobart.

Reviewed 1 December 2017

Since my last review in 2014, I've stayed at Mayfair a further four times and what really struck me this time is that nothing's been fixed, nor has money been spent, to upgrade the rooms. The radio still doesn't work after 16 years, the bathroom fan doesn't work after several years and the bed side light didn't work this time. After a two-week stay, housekeeping hadn't vacuumed the dust and hair from the bathroom floor and around the top of the bath. In fact housekeeping only straightened the beds and kept up the refreshment and bathroom supplies. Even so, I had to ask that the soap dispensers be filled and ask for toilet rolls at Reception! I'm a cleaner myself, so the lack of cleaning, or care, was blatantly obvious. Add deception by one of the staff that almost created a problem between my friend and I plus strange goings on upstairs and we've decided not to return. There are really bad vibes in this place now unfortunately.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Debra W

Dear Guest, we are now under new management/ownership. We are terribly sorry for your unpleasant stay on your last visit. We would like to assure you all of your concerns have been noted and since new management there are no comings or goings from any other rooms. As well as new managers are in the process of upgrading our facilities here including all rooms. We hope you may see this response and next time visiting Hobart you may try us again and enjoy your stay here with us. Kindest of Regards