“Excellent for a young family or two couples.”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Average
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Christina...
San Francisco, California
“Extremely disappointing!”
Reviewed 24 September 2017 for a stay in September 2017

My husband, young son and I just returned from Hamilton Island where we went to celebrate our anniversary. Because it was the 15th,we wanted to choose somewhere special. It was a last minute booking and because this property only had two open nights in a row (as opposed to the normal minimum of 3 or 4) we were charged a nighty surcharge in addition to the fee. In the end we paid $525 a night (no small amt) but expected it was a special place for a special celebration.
The positives first: it is a great location with excellent views. (That said, most of the island has remarkable views.) but this one sits at the top of the island. So the rental also included a golf cart which was a positive. It is also roomy. And the master bathroom and guest bath are nice. Those are the only positives.
Part of their service is to meet you upon arrival, which we confirmed. Unfortunately We were left waiting at the airport for close to an hour and the cleaning crew had just arrived when we finally got there (passed checkin time) so we had to wait longer. Still, initially that wasn't a huge deal. But when we finally got in,the floor was still dirty with food and dust and boot prints covered the wood boards. One of the cleaners came back to vacuum when we asked about it, but said that the foot prints (which were all over the floor making it look like someone had just tracked in dirt) were permenantly shellacked there from the workers who (at some time not recently) had refinished the floors then waked over them before they were dry! Very odd, we thought, and something it seems you might ask to be redone as soon as you noticed it (and its impossble NOT to notice it:-) But even after he had vacuumed and left, we saw more things were not in order. Food and drink stains (as well as great wear And tear) were all over the couch, dirt and more food were under the couch, the coffee table was wobbly and the
Glass child had fallen out. A big gaping hole was in the wall of the entry and the doorstop was pulled off the wall and laying nearby. There were broken fixtures, lamps without bulbs yet plugged in, and the handles to the louvred Windows by the front door were broken to the degree that they wouldn't close and could be pushed open from the outside to reach out inside (and open) the locked front door! Also the hardwood floors upstairs had massive scratches (more like etches all over it) and actua holes in the floorboard! Generally speaking things there are in a shoddy condition and not worthy of such a top-dollar place!
One or two things, or perhaps if we'd paid less for it a night and we would've have thought much about it, being distracted by the view from the deck. But we were both really shocked at the state of the place and its poor condition.
We assumed that the management (who had been nice to deal with initially) would want to know. I can't imagine, if I were the owner, being happy this was the case. (In fact, it was bad enough in total, that I would shut down the rental a few weeks before high season and relayed the host of problems.) So we informed them and expressed our disappointment about the poor condition of the place (sending photos as well) Especially given that we were paying their highest rate (this was low season too) . I assumed they would come check it out and, if they were a company that cared about repeat visitors, customer satisfaction and even word-of-mouth, at least offer to make some adjustment on what we paid for what we were told was a "new", "luxurious" and a high end rental. Certainly that would've been an appropriate response. Instead we were told "thanks for the info ... We will def look into those things." When I asked if they would make an adjustment (even a token one, really) given that we paid the highest rate for something that was not close to the caliber to the caliber they advertise (and I thought stood behind) they said they would not, and told me I was lucky they'd let me rent it for two nights (as opposed to the normal 3 night min.) I reminded them, that renting out the place to fill their two vacant nights was their decision to (I never begged) and I in fact I was charged an additional fee each night to do so. I think I was equally floored by the poor service by management (made me wonder what the owner would say about the way this management company handles and keeps up his/her condo...) I was told that if I wanted to rent from the again sometime in the future, they'd give me 15% off, however (a situation that will never reoccur.) What horrible business management and what a disappointmenting condo.
I highly recommend Hami,ton Island, but there are many MANY places you'd do better to rent (esp for their rates!) The views from the island are lovely, but clearly this place is coasting along hoping those will distract you while they take huge amounts of your money and don't keep up their properties. Shame on them. Avoid if possible.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
26 Sep 2017
Thanks a lot for your feedback Christina,

We encourage all feedback even if it's negative, like this review. As this is the only way we can continue to improve our service for future guests.

As I discussed in the email you sent me - we can't just dish out money to people that complain about housekeeping. Especially when you try and hold us to ransom- basically stating that you're going to write a terrible review if we don't refund you? We are employed to look after our guests and our owners -

We sent the housekeeping team straight back to the apartment to attend to any of your issues - they were under the instruction to do what ever it takes to make sure you're satisfied with the property. I know this isn't ideal - but it's all we can do if there is a guest that isn't happy with the cleanliness of a property.

There were some genuine issues here, but your main gripe seemed to be the workers boots prints under the varnish on the floor - this isn't a good look I know, as the worker that re-varished the floors stood on them before they were dry. We are waiting to a quiet season to do the whole complex floors. Although it's not the best look if doesn't actually effect anyone's holiday experience -

Thanks again for your feedback, I will inspect the apartment myself this week and rectify anything under my power to make sure future guests have a positive experience in this apartment.

Peter Baumgart
Manager
Hamilton Island Holiday Apartments
Lynette A...
“Excellent for a young family or two couples.”
Reviewed 1 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017

Views are sensational. Birds are lovely but very messy. Make sure you don't feed them and lock the door when not at the unit.
Unit has all the necessary items to make a relaxing and enjoyable short holiday.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing