Lowest prices for your stay
US$123
View deal
Free cancellation until 21/10/02
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
Expedia.comUS$123
Booking.comUS$123
All reviews rooftop bar pool area queen room the east coast beautiful pool spent one night rooms are nice airlie beach down stairs flinders street ferry terminal comfy bed short stay great spot backpackers hostel noise
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 June 2021

We had two nights at Rambutan, our first night was Sunday before we headed to Magnetic Island. Restaurant was good on the Sunday and the room was clean and comfortable.
On our return journey was a different story. We stayed here on the Saturday and it was just messy. Not being in our 20's we where not prepared for the night of antics which happened right outside our door.
Firstly our room had cracks and plaster coming off the walls, which honestly just not a good look. We had the room under the stairs and this meant that we had people running up and down past the room screaming until 3 am, including someone throwing up just outside our room. We could also hear the thump thump of the music from the "mad cow" nightclub next door. .
Now this is just because this hotel is in the night club district - so if you stay here on a Friday or Saturday night be warned, it is a party club area and the hotel accommodates for this. Any other day I would say it would a good place to stay.

Date of stay: June 2021
Elliott Armour, Marketing at Rambutan, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2021

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent stay with us. We’re obviously very disappointed to read your review and apologise that we have not met your expectations in this instance. We would value the opportunity to learn more about your experience and speak with you in person. Could you please reach out to us on manager@rambutantownsville.com.au or alternatively please let us know how we may reach you.

Reviewed 11 June 2021 via mobile

We returned to this RESTAURANT after first attending sept 2020.
We have been sadly let down. Food back then was fabulous, but after attending twice this week, can only be called mediocre.
Good value for lunch but pretty awful at dinner time.
Waitress on Friday night was woeful and argumentative. Stated she was new. Encouraged her to speak to someone else (menu on line was different to when we arrived as had just changed she stated) but she refused.
The only reason we stayed is because we have a small dog and it is dog friendly.
Won’t bother to return.
My grilled barramundi was dry and chewy and did not look like barramundi and my husbands chickens schnitzel was almost on the border of being burnt. We were the only people eating at the time. And the live singer....... let’s not go there. She was trying very hard.
Very sad night out.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 June 2021 via mobile

I hadn't travelled regional for work for over 2 years, so it made a nice change to head back to Townsville and I thought I'd book somewhere different! Rambutan is different, it was a backpackers and has had an extensive upgrade, but, to me, the backpacker theme was still strongly intact. My room was nice and adequate for my one night stay, clean with a comfy bed and nicely decorated. Pool bar and surrounds lovely, pool a little close to rooms, but this didnt affect me, nor did the pool bar, metres from my door. But my neighbours were the issue, loud, boisterous, so many in the one room, with no consideration to other guests, hence my reference to the backpacker theme. In my years of traveling for work, I have never come across such inconsiderate room neighbours. I give the motel an average rating for not taking enough action to stop the rowdiness. I believe my nightly rate to stay was excessive after my experience.
To tolerate this behaviour from guests is inexcusable, I learnt in the morning that others had complained and the guests were still able to stay! If you're not traveling for work, and you dont mind a rowdy neighbor you'll be fine. Also, dont get the skin on Salmon for dinner. Poor.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 7 June 2021 via mobile

Not clean- someone elses facial hair in the sink and on the bathroom floor.

Poor design- the fire doors have to be slammed to shut. There is no soft way of closing them. I could hear doors being shut 3 or 4 rooms away.

The bathroom consists of a shower room, basin and then a toilet room. The problem being is there is one switch to operate all 3 downlights. If you get up in the night to go to the toilet then anyone else in the room is awake with the light.

To get to your room you have to walk through a restaurant. Everyone just stares at you with your bags. There is also a lot of noise generated with people being people eating and talking.

Noisy- lots of noise from the street. I woke up to someone banging a drum on the street about 1am.

I would feel comfortable standing out the front with a sign saying don’t stay here it was that bad.

Room tip: Don’t stay here
Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Elliott Armour, Marketing at Rambutan, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2021

Reviewed 1 June 2021 via mobile

I stayed at the Rambutan Hotel at the beginning of may after reading it’s good reviews and exploring the website. I was travelling with a very expense electric mountain bike which was locked and secured incredibly well on to a bike rack. I read on their website that they had secure underground parking and throughout the hotel and there are CCTV signs everywhere and this was a great peace of mind for me travelling with my pride and joy.

I woke up in the morning and went to the carpark only to find that somehow (which I still have no idea how they did it) my mountain bike had been stolen overnight. I went to the reception in the morning to report this only to find out that another hotel guest had also had his similar mountain bike stolen the same evening from the car park. After asking if it was possible to look back through the CCTV footage I was simply told that they could not help and that I needed to report it to the police, which I did immediately.

As this may seem like an entirely negative review I would just like to add that aside from this the Rambutan had a lot of good things going for it. The hotel itself is in a great location and I was very impressed by the facilities, cleanliness and the room itself.

The main reason for this review is that from my stay until now I have had no apology, correspondence or contact whatsoever from the hotel or management regarding their findings from the CCTV of lack there of.
The way in which the hotel handled this during and after the incident was very unprofessional and I believe that they may need to look into their carpark security, how they handle incidents like this and how they advertise their carpark on their website.

Date of stay: April 2021