Lowest prices for your stay
US$106
PricelineUS$154
Hotels.comUS$106
Reviews (1 042)
1 042 results
All reviews sugar shaker rooftop pool great location leagues club central location buffet breakfast centre of town across the road flinders street bed and pillows castle hill great place to stay comfortable stay magnetic island room service business trip walking distance
Selected filters
24 - 29 of 1 042 reviews
Reviewed 16 June 2021

We stayed three nights in a one-bedroom apartment which provided a self-contained kitchenette and separate sleeping area. The staff throughout the hotel were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Breakfast on Sunday was very busy but the staff managed with a cheerful efficiency not always witnessed in other hotels. The room was very clean and the mattress and pillows were very comfortable. The bathroom was a good size although the shower leaked under the shower door. Breakfast was included in the deal and gave us good value for money. The hotel is ideally located if you need to be in the CBD, close to restaurants and about a ten minute walk to the Strand. We would stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2021
1  Thank OB52
Reviewed 9 June 2021 via mobile

So very happy we chose the grand chancellor hotel! Great , central location in Townsville.
Very clean and wonderful friendly service! A special thanks to “ Chandra” ( ? Spelling) at the front desk! Awesome, young lady !! Professional & eager to assist us with tours!!
Highly recommend this hotel!!

Date of stay: May 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank LorettaT652
Nick Nguyen, Guest Services / Front Office at Hotel Grand Chancellor Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2021

Dear Loretta,

Thanks so much for your 5 star review. We're so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with our hotel's central location and cleanliness, and that you found our team friendly and helpful, especially Chandra. We will pass on your compliments to Chandra for sure.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Townsville.

HGCT Team

Reviewed 5 June 2021

The hotel was found to be clean and tidy. The room had a small balcony that overlooked the river and the main street. The breakfast was good considering the current health regulations and the service was efficient. The pool area on the 20th floor was clean and tidy. The food in the restaurant at night was of high quality. The staff were friendly and welcoming

1  Thank pal410
Nick Nguyen, Guest Services / Front Office at Hotel Grand Chancellor Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2021

Dear pal410,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your complimentary feedback after your recent stay. It was pleasing to read you enjoyed your stay, particularly our food and beverage outlets, the views and the hotel's facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Townsville.

Nick Nguyen, Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed 3 June 2021

It has been 43 days since I wrote to the Hotel Manager and Area General Manager regarding my stay at the Grand Chancellor.... surprisingly no response. We arrived to the hotel and was checked in by Natalia, 'Guest Services Manager' While she was checking me in her colleague had allocated the room that Natalia was giving me to another guest, her reply "use another room" - poor response really. I booked an Executive Suite with "Panoramic Views". I got green construction netting blocking my "panoramic view". False advertising really. The room was riddled with issues, repaired holes that weren't painted, bathroom air vent cakes with dust, water damage on the roof, AC air intake caked with dust, paint peeling off the wall, holes in the wall filled with toilet paper, hair on the bathroom floor. We moved to another room due to no availability, this is where it gets worse (or funnier)... Room was riddled with mould. Yes mould. You would think with COVID-19 that stringent measures are in place to eradicate bacteria. Clearly not here. Mould on the air vent, mould in the shower, mould on the refrigerator... the list goes on. When I mentioned to the alleged "Guest Services Manager" she just said "yes that's bad I will pass the feedback on" - no empathy or reaction, i literally had to sleep in a disgusting room riddled with mould. I raised the issues with the Hotel manager, Operations Manager and General Manager who have gone radio silence.. I'm guessing they can't just say sorry and acknowledge the errors. You'd expect more for paying $225 a night especially in townsville. The reviews could of been avoided, but 43 days was too long of a grace period. Definitely won't stay here, back to the Mercure we go.

Date of stay: April 2021
1  Thank BNEJetsetter
Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

I did not book but was allocated an interconnected room. The door is thin, noise travels so I asked for another room for a 6 night stay. Fully booked so told to wait 2 nights to be reallocated to a quiet room, I checked for a new room on the Saturday and was told to come back at 9am on the Sunday, I did so but was told to come back at 2pm as the room was almost ready, did so but was told to come back at 3pm as the room was nearly ready it was just being inspected by the supervisor, came back again at 3pm but after waiting 30 minutes went to my room. At 4pm I spoke with the cleaners supervisor who said she had not been told I was relocating. Cannot stand liars but someone was handling the truth carelessly.

Whilst I was waiting the lady in reception was told that last nights food trays were still out on level 14, the lady on reception said I will get straight onto it, I stood there for 30 minutes whilst she did nothing about it. I now understand why people stop caring.

Went to breakfast where I was questioned on the free breakfast, was I smuggling in for free food? I explained that my room included breakfast, after realising she had in fact mad a mistake I went to the table, I was told to line up and wait to be served, lots of attitude, whilst I was lined up the same waitress said for me to ‘get out of my way’. I must have been in the way but I was lined up behind others patrons waiting to be served.

Room was pretty tired, the staff were not friendly and not cooperative and in some instances very rude, and the interconnected doors are cardboard thin. Specifically ask not for an interconnected room if you do not need one.

I did wonder why all of the motels were booked out but this hotel had availability. There is a reason, be careful if you book this hotel.

The staff all said we are fully booked Friday and Saturday and this the absence of any resemblance of customer service.

2  Thank DavidSeu
Nick Nguyen, Guest Services / Front Office at Hotel Grand Chancellor Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2021

Dear DavidSeu,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that we were not able to exceed your expectations. The team had offered you another better room to move to but unfortunately you did not want to give us another chance to serve you.

We are dedicated to continually improving our service, so your feedback is greatly appreciated and has been passed on to our Hotel Manager so that he can investigate this issue further.

We hope that you do stay with us again in the future, so that we can demonstrate our true standards and our commitment to exceeding guest expectations.

Nick Nguyen, Assistant Front Office Manager