“A lovely old building”

Ranked #48 of 138 things to do in Cairns
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Like many others, I was attracted first by the building, it seems reminescent of another era, in other countries it would be seen as a colonial feel.
The bats are obvuiously also an attraction; hopefully though use it for its primary purpose - books.

All reviews
"collection"
"browse"
"visitors"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I wish this place was open when I was walking by, but it was after closing time.

The bats were loud and active in the trees outside. The architecture of the building drew me to cross the road and visit. The gardens outside are well maintained. I have seen many libraries and this is one of the nicest to look at.

But there is more than appearances to this place and I would have liked to seen more.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We haven't actually visited the Library itself. Only stopping at dusk to see the bats.

This time we took friends who where travelling with us, both being a bit skeptical about the view of bats. But both finding the area as fascinating as us!

At dusk thousands of bats take to the skies. Chattering away to each other before flying around.

A must see for all ages.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

As a tourist, I did not use the library for its main function. BUT

Our computer broke on our first day in Cairns, and with free WiFi everywhere computer cafes seem to be a thing of the past. So, "May we please use your computer even though we are not members?" To my great surprise, the answer was "Yes." What friendly people!

And the free air conditioning was great.

And the building was lovely -- which is kind of unusual for Cairns, so greatly appreciated even without going in.

As to the fruit bats, they were out in full force in the evening, which was fun to see --
from across the street; looking at the sidewalks around the library later, I concluded that this would not have been the best place to be while they were airborne.