All reviews close to the airport conference room shower over bath botanic gardens breakfast and dinner bus stop travel agent rooms were very clean would definitely stay here again bed was comfortable free wifi decent size good nights sleep great place to stay centre of town leanne esplanade
Reviewed 6 January 2018

I'm writing this review while waiting for my cab in the lobby.
To start off the best part about this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff, a nice sized room and it's really close to the airport. If you're looking for a hotel near the beach, you're better off booking at Palm Cove or one of the beach resorts which is an hour away by bus. I was fooled by looking at the map and some reviews thinking I'm walking distance to the beach.
Like I wrote above the room does have a nice size but it has that damp humid feel even with the air conditioning blasted to maximum plus the beds are rather uncomfortable. The hotel also nickel and dimed me for phone calls, a cap on the wifi and a fairly expensive breakfast.
To sum it up if you're looking for a budget hotel this may be the place for you or you can look for other hotels really close to the action.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank d_process
Stuart M, Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2018

Sorry we are not on the beach, actually now that I think about it, there is no beach in Cairns. Yes you can take an hour long bus ride to Palm Cove, but you are an hour away from the 'Action'. It still amazes me that so many people come to the tropics and expect no humidity in the middle of summer. I guess if you went to the Sahara you would complain about the sand everywhere and how dry it is.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

I am a big proponent of TripAdvisor and I need to warn the folks considering this hotel to find somewhere else. I can’t believe Trip advisor travelers have really rated this so high. Here are the positive points; friendly and accommodating staff, close to the airport, cheap price and free breakfast. Here’s the problem. The place is getting quite run down and it seems as though no one maintains anything. The pool and pool area are disgustingly dirty. The carpeting is old and worn and has several repaired spots or at least it’s what you mightcall them. The thing that bothered me most is that there is black mold throughout the facility. I realize this is in a tropical setting and there is a lot of humidity in the area but black mold or mildew is not good for us to be around. Don’t believe me? Look at the ceiling vent in the main lobby near the front desk. Where the air blows on the ceiling panel it is covered in black mold. It’s so obvious yet no one seems to care. Go to your room and look at where the air comes out of the vent, look closely and you will see more black mold. Look closely throughout the bathroom (high humidity area, I realize) and you will see mold in the crevices.
We were there a couple of nights and on the second day we recognized the mold issue and since we were checking out, we didn’t complain. Actually I am not sure they would do anything about it anyway. I think things might change if enough people look closely at the property they are staying at and make the traveling public aware.

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RjR1533
Stuart M, Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2018

We have a high rating because people who stay here love the property and I am sure if they read your review they would say, ‘What is this guy talking about’. Looking ‘closely into air-conditioning vents and crevices is a bit bizarre don’t you think? Probably not, you may be a bit OCD. You are right though, we are in the tropics and at this time of year it can be difficult. Did you notice it was 36`C with 90% humidity outside. It took you two days to notice a problem, so it wasn’t that obvious until you started looking closely into crevices inside vents. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly daily to keep on top of it but the lobby air vent has slipped through the net due to the front door being continually opened, but it is not ‘covered’ as you suggest. Maintenance has been informed and I would suggest every hotel in the tropics is the same. Staying in a hotel is about enjoying the environment you visit and the people you meet, not looking ‘closely’ into every crevice. Using terms like ‘Disgustingly Dirty’ to describe a pool area is disgustingly over-exaggerated, or did the rocks around the pool have mould on them? You should try living a bit more rather than spending all your energy on so many negative reviews on TA. I’m guessing you don’t live in a tropical location.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

My arrival in Cairns was an interesting one. Coming from the warm weather of Sydney to the tropical heat of Cairns was enough for me to find a hotel that was close to the airport. I decided to pick this hotel.

There are a lot of issues with this hotel. Before I mention them, I'll start with the positives. First, the guest reception is good. When my wife and I entered the hotel, the reception was kind and helpful. The room is clean and neat with a great view of Cairns and the ocean. The hotel is near the airport. Also, the hotel is near some great restaurants (there's an awesome and affordable Thai restaurant that I'll review after this review).

Ok, here's the juicy part that you are want! Why I didn't like the hotel? That's a great question, good sir or ma'am. I tell you why with this list:

1. It's away from the main parts of Cairns. If you don't have access to a car, you're going to be walking for quite a bit. When I arrived in May 2017 (on the border between fall and winter in Australia), it was over 90°F/32°C with the sun blazing with suffocating humidity. The nearest mall is about an 40 minutes away. I made that mistake when I went to the main mall from this hotel to purchase sunglass to save my eyes from the sun. When I was returning, I was almost lost myself because I was dehydrated from sweating so much! Make sure that you hydrate yourself when you arrive here. If you plan to go scuba diving, you MUST get Uber, taxi, or any ride because you will dread the walk to and from, especially if the sun is up.

2. Washer and dryer. They were awful and expensive to use at this hotel. My wife wanted to clean our clothes. She had to exchange some AU dollars to get the right change to use, which cost $5 AU to use washer and dryer. The sad part was the dryer didn't even dry the clothes, which it forced us to hang most of our clothes in our room.

3. Breakfast. It's expensive and not worth the price when you can go to downtown Cairns to get much affordable food. If you want the continental breakfast, you have two prices that you can pay. The first is around $15 AU per person, and that's for only non-cooked food such as cereal. The second is around $22 AU person person, and that includes non-cooked and cooked food.

Overall, I know that next time when I return to Cairns that I'll find a better hotel closer to downtown or... even better stay in Port Douglas!

Room Tip: Consider another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Black0ut1983
Stuart M, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

So firstly the juicy bits. Guest reception was good, kind and helpful. The room was clean and neat and a great view of Cairns and Ocean. Close to airport and great restaurants (that our staff pointed you towards). Now the dumb bits. You came to the tropics in winter and complained about the heat and humidity. Please don't come here in summer. The rest is just ridiculous diatribe. Everything is wrong about it so please get your facts correct and if you think $22 for a Buffet breakfast is too much for you then good luck staying down town or in Port Douglas where your tight budget will certainly not go the distance. Most reviews say the breakfast is great value for money and excellent. Maybe try Maccas next time. Can you see how frustrating it is to run a hotel when we have to deal with reviewers like this.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

The hotel was just reasonable as far as rooms, breakfast was concerned.It is very close to the airport(10mins) but away from the promenade, which has the waterfront and many restaurants and shopping places.One can enjoy and spend hours at the promenade,even enjoy a public pool.
Hence all are advised to book hotel close to the promenade.

Room Tip: No good views available anyway!!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank vilas2053
Stuart M, General Manager at Cairns Sheridan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2017

Taxi to town is $12, Bus is $2.50 and stops at front of hotel, and we have a shuttle bus goes down town for free. Taxi to airport from town $25 each way. Stay in a hotel down town will cost you $300. Do I need a calculator? Your advise is very average and does not take in all variables. We are still the best value hotel in Cairns by far.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

This was a venue of choice for the RTO, to whom I was contracted. Close to Cairns airport ($15 to $20 trip), and the staff were friendly and attentive from the moment I arrived. The room (317) faced west with a small balcony and overlooked the small pool. The room was clean and roomy for a single person, and the bed was excellent. Food was good and well -priced for breakfasts and dinners and the catering was ample for our small group during the training sessions. Will be back in a few weeks for session 2. All of my needs were met which is all I ask for when away from home.

I enjoy a walk after work and it is approx 30 minutes to CBD, so just be aware of the distance if walking is not your thing.

Room Tip: No noise despite backing onto a main road/ highway
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Neale P

Thank you so much for your generous review. Your comments are greatly appreciated and I look forward to welcoming you for your next session.