“Best way to see the Blue Mountains”

Blue Mountains Eco Tours
Ranked #13 of 280 Outdoor Activities in Sydney
More attraction details
Owner description: Blue Mountains Eco Tours offer Eco 4wd Tours of the Blue Mountains, Australia. Using a Land Rover Discovery 4, we specialise in small groups of no more than 6 people. We offer a low impact and sustainable approach to touring through this magnificent world heritage listed national park. We are able to take our guests to the lesser known, less crowded locations as well as the famous 3 Sisters.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We looked at several options before choosing to use this company and we were extremely happy with the choice. I highly recommend Paul as he has an extreme knowledge base and knows of places off the beaten path. This tour is much better than being in a crowded bus with lots of people as well. Thanks Paul and Jenny for a fabulous day and evening. I recommend the evening tour as you get to see so many animals.

1  Thank maryandmissy
"wheel drive"
in 5 reviews
"pulpit rock"
in 4 reviews
"hotel in downtown sydney"
in 3 reviews
"pie shop"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 27 March 2018

After finishing a cruise around New Zealand, the four of us docked in Sydney and had the opportunity to stay for three days before flying to Cairns. With only three days to spend in Sydney, we debated about spending a whole day on a Blue Mountain Tour. Taking advantage of this daylong trip and deciding on the twilight tour was the best decision we ever made.

Paul picked us up at our apartment in downtown Sydney, and we began our awesome experience. The hour drive to the mountains seemed like no time at all as Paul kept us entertained with local information and what to expect when we arrived. The Land Rover Paul used was immaculate and the perfect vehicle to get us to sites that buses and large vans would not be able to access. We saw sites that most of the other tour companies could not offer. We were privy to spectacular views and awesome scenery. Paul was knowledgeable about the local flora and fauna and we really appreciated everything he brought to our attention. He answered all our questions and when he didn't know something, he didn't just make something up.

Paul took us to the Blue Mountain National Park where we hiked the temperate climate rainforest. Although the trails were steep and sometimes slippery, he made sure the four of us were safe and that we experienced all the beauty that the forest and waterfall had to offer.

We had morning tea and coffee. lunch at a bakery in Leura and evening wine and cheese in a field full of kangaroos! He managed to provide us a spectacular sunset even though it had been cloudy most of the day. On our drive back to Sydney, we encountered five wombat sightings (a record, I think). One of these I managed to get out of the Land Rover and get really close to as Paul focused the vehicle lights on the wombat so it couldn't see me.

All in all, it was a trip of a lifetime and we were thrilled to have Paul as our guide and his wife Jenny to set everything up for us.

Thank you Paul and Jenny!!!

Mike, Glenda, Mary, and Kathy

1  Thank mapeters52
Reviewed 24 March 2018

I opted for a private tour of the Blue Mountains, which Paul personalized based on my pre-tour description of my interests and abilities in communications with his personable wife and office manager Jenny. For me, this was a well-considered "splurge." It proved to be the highlight of my time in Sydney and vicinity--a perfect day in every way--and it stands out as one of the very best experiences I have had in my lifetime of extensive travel. I could not recommend this outfit more highly! Paul and Jenny have a well-considered philosophy of travel, which showed in every detail of my day, and which is reflected in the reviews I read prior to booking.

Paul is knowledgeable and passionate about sharing his knowledge and love of the area with his guests in a sincere but light-hearted way. I learned so much about the history, flora and fauna, and even the politics of the places I saw. He is also a natural conversationalist, and has the gift of ferreting out the things he shares in common with others, and effectively sharing common interests.

I had asked for some interesting off-road drives and some fairly serious walking/hiking, and the trails he selected were perfect. By itself, having the front seat of the Discovery the entire time would have made my private tour worth the cost, especially on the off-road drives! As for the details, I can only echo what other reviewers have said: being picked up at my hotel in an immaculate Land Rover Discovery (which Paul obviously cleans after every drive); morning tea, cheese and biscuits' and other goodies at an overlook accessible only by 4WD; fantastic four-wheeling in the Discovery, which never broke a sweat; two well-chosen, appropriately challenging walks or hikes; the chance to see an area of the Blue Mountains which few tourists visit; a lunch of meat pies in a lovely bakery (with a choice of other places, had I preferred); seeing the Three Sisters in the evening with no one else at the overlook; and--the highlight--seeing kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, and much more at dusk at the special place Paul knows and shares with his guests, while various delectibles beckoned from the back of the Discovery.

Others have described various aspects of their day better than I. I can only echo their enthusiasm. But I can say how happy I am that I chose to "splurge" on a private tour which featured not only the things others speak of, but also exactly the sort of hiking (with a truly expert guide) and four-wheeling I had asked for when I booked my tour, I hope for a return trip to the Sydney area with my wife, and I can only hope that Paul will be available and amenable to leading us on the sort of customized excursion he planned for me. I can't think of any higher compliment I could give, and--again--I could not recommend Blue Mountains Eco Tours more highly. Your time--and money--will be well spent, and you will go home with indelible memories of your day in the Blue Mountains.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

After failing to secure us seats when we were in Australia in 2016, I secured us seats on their Blue mountains tour few months in advance for our 2018 visit. Day before our tour it was pouring down in Sydney and didn’t look promising for the tour day after. Paul rang us up and suggested going later in the morning. After he had talked with the other two travellers going on the tour, we all agreed on going a day later. Paul was willing to have a rainy day-off instead of sunny one. Only to make us happier and give us the best possible experience. The Land Rover looked factory fresh. The morning and afternoon teas were great. The stops he took us to were not crowded with other visitors so we could enjoy the scenery undisturbed. Paul is a great guide and very knowledgable about the area. Comunication with Jenny via e-mail was always efficient and she was personal in her answers and quick replying. One might think it would be cheaper going by bus rather than small group in a comfy jeep, but what Paul and Jenny offer is a really good value for money. Highly recommend this to anyone!

1  Thank Runólfur R
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 February 2018

We chose the Twilight Tour which we greatly enjoyed. Paul picked us up in a nice 4 wheel drive vehicle with ample room for ourselves and a second couple. Our travel out of the city was not significantly impacted by traffic, and the return was also easy. We enjoyed a variety of stops in the Blue Mountains, mostly with few others in sight. Paul got us some great views on tough wagon trail type tracks, and helped us take (or took for us) some great pics; a view over a wide canyon silent but for the sleigh bell-like sounds of the birds was unforgettable.
Paul brought us to a place for some nice meat pies for lunch. We also snacked on some delicious cherries and Coconut water in the day, and cheeses, crackers and pate at our evening stop.
After the Blue Mountains we continued on to a private site and experienced some Kangaroos and their little cousins, Wallabies; they are wary of humans but it was great to see them in an uncontrolled environment - bring some binoculars.
Paul is a natural guide and a genial talker with an interesting work history - ask him about it. The trip back to the city is mostly in the dark, but he made it interesting. This tour is a wonderful way to see the Blue Mountains and more.