All reviews travel desk east coast trip darling harbour bunk beds big kitchen town hall station shared bathroom george street opera house straighteners woolworths cbd
Reviewed 5 March 2018

We were 4 ladies from Brisbane two of us were over sixty and the other two in there fifties.We were made to feel welcome and safe. Our room was great. Only thing we found was the stairs LOL But was good exercise. Our room was clean as were the showers and toilets. We welcome by the staff so thanks to Katie and her staff. We had a fun time down there. Will stay there again.

Room Tip: Easy to get around Sydney from here the hostel.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Helen M
Katie W, Front Office Manager at Base Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2018

Hi Helen, thank you so much for leaving a review.
We're thrilled to hear that you liked your stay and our base crew. We hope to see you again in the future!

Much love,
Base crew

Reviewed 4 March 2018

Clean and functional and what is expected of Hostel accommodation.
I found myself here as it was the only reasonable priced accommodation available in town at late notice during Mardi Gras. The 4 bed share room was quiet and friendly and a welcome retreat from the rest of the building. Sparse furnishings means that is it not really a place to spend any time other than in bed.
The common room was as expected but clearly not catering for my demographic or any beyond the single backpacker.
Most notably between the house music and the scary canary night club next door music was all pervasive incessant monotonous in style and loud every hour of the night or day. One person even took his loud hip hop music to the shower with him which to someone like me used to sharing bunk accommodation with random strangers in bushwalking huts is unfathorable.

Staff in reception and house cleaning were in party mood but helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Overall my stay at Base was very disappointing, never been so angry with an accommodation in all my life.
Firstly when we got there we got told to download an app after trekking all the way across Sydney with our heavy bags. I asked if we needed to do this as my phone was being slow and the guy just gave me a blunt answer. In the end I managed to download it after faffing about. The guy then said he couldn’t find our reservation, although it had been booked over a year ago and had all the print outs stating that it was confirmed. The guy was stating there was no rooms left and that our reservation doesn’t exist. We asked if we could speak to a manager and he just acted clueless and stated he doesn’t know where the manager is. We waited around for over an hour for this to be resolved, when we finally got to be seen we got no apology or anything. We got given a private room for one night which the guy said very rudely ‘you should be so lucky because of the price’ like it was our fault that this had happened!! We then had to check out of this room early morning to then wait around till mid afternoon to check in to our original sanctuary dorm! This was our last day in Sidney and wanted to chill and enjoy the whole day but no we had to rush about again with all our luggage waiting around again.
I stated to a guy how unhappy I was with the service and overall stay and he simply just went ‘oh’ then walked away. I’ve never made a complaint on here but this happened to be the worst service I’ve ever had in my life and will defiantly never be returning.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Freya J

Thank you for your review.
We would like to apologize about your experience in the hostel and with our staff.

much love, base crew

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Rooms were a disgrace, it’s a party hostel so don’t expect sleep, I was in a top bunk and the guy sleeping in the bottom bunk brought a girl back and they had sex on the bed at 4:30am while I was in the bunk above, no one cares about anything, the staff don’t really care about the people staying there. Would never stay in any Base hostel now as the whole experience put me off. You also have to pay for WiFi with no option for free which is NOT normal for hostels even though they say it is, it’s only normal for Base & Nomads (same company) as all they care about is money. The lift hardly works, there was a flood in the laundry room while we were there and when in the lift you could hear the water dripping from the underneath as every time it went to level -2 it was landing in a pool of water, pointed out the health & safety hazard to staff who did nothing about it, didn’t contact anyone to fix it. The kitchen is a good size for sitting, not for cooking though. Also, it’s not even cheap where you don’t mind that there were so many issues, ridiculous. They don’t change the sheets between guests, only pillow cases and sheet that you use as a duvet, god knows how many people slept (and not just slept) on the sheets on my bed before me.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank RebeccaB5117

Thank you for leaving a review.
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences.
Our housekeeping cleans the rooms on a daily basis, if there is something that needs to be clean, please do not hesitate to come to our reception so we can let our housekeeping team know.
Unfortunately when choosing to stay in a share dormitory, you will experience guests coming in and out at different times. We have a 24 hour reception and are willing to help you out any time with any issues and will resolve them as quickly as possible to ensure you have a comfortable stay. We also provide free earplugs on reception for our guests.
We offer free Wifi in our hostel from 7am until 7pm.

Much love, Base crew

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Nice room with door access to bathroom & toilet.
(For single queen bed room ) separate bathroom & toilet for male & females.
Recommended for traveller.easy to access with 7 eleven ( convenience store) located at ground floor.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Thank you for you review!
We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again in the future!

Much love,