See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 April 2016

I was surprised how quiet the place was! There wasn't any drinking in the hostel besides in their little cafe at the end of the hall. I think that was the reason the place didn't have any feral drunk people wondering around at all hours of the night like most places. the dorm i was in had been freshly painted so it felt super clean. I met some pretty great people while i stayed there as well.

Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Roisine C, Manager at Elephant Backpacker, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2016

Hello,

Thank you for your review and it was lovely to meet you. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We also love the no alcohol atmosphere, its very refreshing! We hope to see you again one day.

Reviewed 15 April 2016 via mobile

Bedbugs everywhere! Stayed in three different rooms and saw bedbugs in two of them! Plus bites and I wasn't the only one..
Furthermore it seems like rooms with people inside are not getting cleaned at all.. Dirty and smelly

Got wrong information about the checkout plus one missing pillow for a night (apparently not enough clean ones)

Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Roisine C, Manager at Elephant Backpacker, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2016

Hello "Marie" there is not enough information for me to respond to your review adequately. When did you stay with us? How long for? What room(s) did you stay in? You never reported any issues to us at reception and there is no evidence to show that your claims are true. We professionally fumigate our rooms on a regular basis as part of a maintenance schedule. This was completed only 2 weeks ago. When writing a review I suggest you include more information to show that it is a true representation of your stay. Thank you

Reviewed 4 April 2016

I stayed there for a few nights. It's is not a party hostel! - there are many nearby clubs if u wanna go party! I found it chilled out! go explore & do whatever in the day & come back & sleep @ nite!

It is a very old building - so yes, it's not perfect, there r of course going to be a few cosmetic issues that come with such old buildings, it's normal! it's what 1 might call - rustic! - So I base my opinion taking this into account!

A few taps didn't work, but most did. They were also looking for a plumber to fix such issues!

Toilets are old, so you need to hold the "flush" down for at least 3 seconds or it wont flush properly - unlike modern toilets, old toilets, especially in old buildings requires 2-3seconds of effort!. - I think each toilet should have a sign saying this "to flush properly, hold down flush button for 3 seconds" - or something along these lines, as some don't understand or check after - & that's what causes some issues!

Not many toilets or showers for the amount of people, so try not to shower at peak time! Most people are out sightseeing a lot of the day or night, so it's not too big of an issue.

my room was nice, clean sheets, my roomies were good, decent people (yes - it's not just about the hostel, it's also about the individual travellers staying there in your dorm room & surrounding dorm rooms!), we had lockers of varying sizes in the room (byo padlocks!), no flyscreen on window. Had a bit of a chat with a few of my roomies, which was good! we were all respectful of eachother! it's great when your roomies are respectful people!

the kitchen was good & lots of tables & space in dining room! u have 2 leave something at reception 2 get cooking gear, plates etc kit - & u get it returned when u return it clean, dried & as u got it! - $2 few per broken item in kit. (is it annoying? sure! but... at the same time, it helps keeps costs down, cause it keeps kitchen clean, dishes clean = less cleaning by staff & less bugs & other roaches, makes kitchen nice 4 other guests, makes travelers responsible 4 their own actions, & stops hostel having 2 replace stuff every time some1 steals or breaks an item - sadly some travelers / backpackers steal, this helps prevent / reduce that! - so blame previous thieves & previous people who never cleaned up after themselves for this whole thing!), alternatively, you can by your own small pot pan, cutlery, cup & container / plate / bowl! - i use a container as my bowl / plate - so when on the move, in my bag, i can use it as mini-storage - same with a cup & small pot! - then u dont have 2 hire any & will protect it & keep it clean 2! - they dont take up much space in ur pack when u use it as storage 2! (just a small traveller tip!)

There's a lil tv room with some dvds, games, & a few books.

Internet is a bit slow & can only get near the in / near lobby & in the tiny, but nice cafe / bar attached!

No free breaky, but it is a budget hostel! - U got some cheap / budget food options in the tiny, but nice cafe / bar attached! breaky from just $1! lunch (hot chips) & beer from just $2 & dinner (pasta) from just $5 pizza $7 - most of those u have 2 show u accommodation key 2 show ur staying in elephant hostel, but the $2 beer & $2 hot chips, any1 can buy!

The staff are friendly!

1 of the best things, is, unlike most hostels in / near Sydney CBD & Surrounds, the Elephant do not discriminate based on age or nationality! (sadly most other hostels do these days! being an Aussie, 35+, yet on a super-super-super-tight broke student budget, & there r very few places in Sydney I can stay these days , which I can actually afford, & Elephant is 1 of those very few! Thanks Elephant! You're Awesome!)

It's about 20min from central / cbd, 10min walk from hyde park & literally right across road from botanic gardens! so not 2 far from some main things!

Overall, I found it pleasant & will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Roisine C, Manager at Elephant Backpacker, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2016

Hello, thank you for taking the time to write such a balanced detailed review. We appreciate your honesty and would love to have you as a guests again. Enjoy your travels.

Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

My whole experience in this hostel was bad! I left my food labeled at the fridge and after a couple of days it disappeared! Apparently they randomly throw up food at this hostel...even if you just left it. The staff do not read food labels. They just throw them away... Can't believe it..
All the staff was extremely rude at al times. They really act as they don't care about you. Worst work attitude ever.
Last but not least.. Wifi really sucks. I was never able to connect to their network.

Make yourself a favor and don't say here!!

Stayed: March 2016

Hello, just as your friend below you extended your stay with us several times. If you thought the hostel was as bad as you are saying you wouldn't have extended your stay. There are particular rules on the fridge to ensure they maintain a high level of cleanliness for all our guests. Your failure to follow these was only a fault of your own.

Reviewed 26 March 2016 via mobile

staff are extremely rude, they don't help you with anything, dirty, messy, wifi doesn't work any where.. I told them I was going to stay long term and payed just for the first week, and when I was going to pay my 2 one they just told me that I had to do check out that day at 10.00 am.. And they wouldn't give me back my key deposit, even though I told them in advance it was long term (told them twice). Things in fridge "disappear", you can't keep anything there.. Very bad experience.

Stayed: March 2016
Thank Carla S. A

Hi Carla, when you made the booking by phone you advised you may stay long term. When you checked in you paid for a week and didn't ask reception to reserve anything further for you. We refunded one of your deposits as a good will gesture as there is a $20 late check out fee. You stayed with us for a couple of weeks. Extending your stay on more than one occasion. If the hostel was really as bad as you say and you give it 1 our of 5 then surely you wouldn't have extended?