“Average”

20:00
Ranked #409 of 6 364 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$23 - US$58
Neighbourhood: Surry Hills
Description: The RK San, it's where modern Japanese cuisine meets celebration. Executive Chef Rk Tamang looks to create an inspired dining experience in a surry hills As an opening Chef in hat restaurant One & Only Reethi Rah Maldives, Sokyo the star Sydney, Head sushi at flying fish Restauran, executive chef at some of Sydney's finest institutions - Sake restaurant, Geisha Haus and Sabu parramatta - Tamang brings his passion for fine dining with a meticulously crafted menu.
Reviewed 27 February 2021

We were excited to go to RK San as it has good reviews and friends agreed. We found it average. Average service, average food and no value for money. And please turn the music down or don't play dance music. The kitchen may like to bop around but I appreciate a conversation over dinner. Average.

Date of visit: February 2021
Write a reviewReviews (59)

Reviewed 13 February 2021

I have had GREAT previous experiences for LUNCH Dining when RK San was not busy, and at 30 - 40% capacity.
Easy 4.5 to 5 star food. Based on small meals + a 9 course degustation.

On Feb 2021, a Friday night with a 6pm booking (We again chose the 9 course degustation) which started well and went downhill as the place got packed out.

Service was still okay considering it was PACKED.

We booked online and never received a confirmation.
We had to phone to confirm booking, (thankfully as the online booking did not work)

We asked if BYO when we spoke to them, and they told us NO.

This was false.

Most diners on that night actually brought there own alcohol with no issues???

Based on this experience I would have rated 3 stars, but due to past favorable experiences I have to give it 4 stars.

I will revisit, but select the food that I rated well.

At the time we visited, servers were supposed to wear protective masks. (by law)
All chefs and waiting staff did, apart from one staff member who used it as a chin guard, He did look like a ring in, and not part of the usual team.

I LIKE Salt, I always add salt (and pepper to my food and get criticized for it.

A few of the dishes required a blood pressure tab prior. They were RIDICULOUSLY SALTY.

The 9 Course degustation:

1: Sashimi of the Day - EXCELLENT (Fresh and beautiful texture V High Quality)

2:Maguro Hana (Tuna on bed of Crispy rice) - EXCELLENT (Loved this)

3: Wagyu Carpaccio - AVERAGE Very oily which was just okay , BUT biggest issue was the salt overkill. FAR TOO SALTY

4: Cigar of the Day - Crispy pastry tube filled with Sashimi REALLY GOOD (even though previous visits the pastry has been crispier) Had better here previous, but still nice (A MUST and I will always order again)

5: Mushroom Robata with paper thin sliced Chilli Threads ( SALTY) Again could have been an acceptable dish, but the salt was overkill and ruined the dish (JUST OKAY)

6: Seared Salmon Rolls - EXCELLENT Seared salmon and julienne cucumber with creamy ponzu, crispy shallot and micro shiso.

7: Karaage Chicken Fried marinated chicken with garlic and Yuzu mayo. - AVERAGE, why...tasted like the RED Sea, all you could taste was salt. Could have been a really nice dish. I like salt but this was ridiculous.

8: Pork Belly. This was TERRIBLE, My wife LOVES Pork Belly and we have had it here previously with no complaints. We could not stomach this , Reminded you of overcooked BROILED tasteless pork. Nursing home style. It was just "wrong . Could not eat it.

9: Yuki (Dessert) Pistachio Praline ice cream/ foam- EXCELLENT

$79.00 per head x 2 Plus drinks
Good range of Sake and some good wines on offer

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 17 October 2020

We booked a few days ahead and asked for a best table available on that day but when we arrived we got the worst table. The food was OK but a small bottle of sake cost $32 which is a rip off. Also, the restaurant is just too noisy and we could not make any conversation due to the noise but maybe that is beyond their control I guess. But since their website and review looked good, we really got disappointed when we actually got seated.

Date of visit: October 2020
Reviewed 2 September 2020 via mobile

We had dinner at RK San for celebration of my hubby birthday. We had 10 course dinner with sparkling water as both of us not drinking alcohol.
Spicy edamame: combine texture of sichimi , bonito flakes and soy sauce. It has strong flavour of chili. Normally, depend on people preference but i prefer normal edamame tastes.
Sashimi platter: sashimi of the fish is Tuna, salmon and not remembered for the other fish but similar like mackarel. I love of freshness of sashimi with fresh wasabi.
Cigar with salmon is really intrested in this restaurant as the ash exactly simular cigar ash. The cigars is combination of dice salmon sashimi in a pastry shell combined with spicy mayo, nori with malto ash and accompanied with sake.
Maguro hana is 4 pieces of floral shaped tuna with spicy mayo and micro sisho with accompanied with sushi rice for bottom layer. The taste is crispy from rice is seems not too tasty just feeling crispy.
Tuna ceviche is combined of tiradito with diced tuna and crispy chips on tops. All flavoured well combined and this is one of my favorite dishes in this restaurant.
Squid robata is grilled squid combined with dashi misho and cripsy enoki. The flavor was not good enough as seasoning is not combined together so the taste too salty.
King brawn mushroom robata is bettef than squid as tasts more well combined and good flavour as combining between truffle soy dressing and grilled mushroom and chilli thread on top.
Seared salmon roll where seared salmon and cucumber combined with creamy ponzu , crisp shallot and micro herbs. This is too much rice for this salmon roll instead of inside ingredients.
Braised pork belly was not my style of food. This food is 36 hour sous vide pork belly with carrots pure, dashi ginger glaze, pooped pork skin and cumin crumbs. As per mentioned smelly of pork too strong plus additional cumin make taste was not well combined and have strong smell.
Yuki is one of dessert with flavour of yuzu parfait, pistachio ice cream with and yogurt foam. Yuzu has sour taste and pistachio has sweet flavour so when both combined into one will better taste with not too sweet or too sour. Good floavour of desert taste.
Overall, we enjoyed our dinner but there is something restaurant can improve for the quality of the foods.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 10 August 2020

It looked like any suburban Japanese restaurant from the outside and the inside fared only slightly better.

The food scored well above average. I have been twice and tried about half the menu and there has not been a disappointment. I really liked the King Brown (it was spelled Brawn on their menu) mushrooms, the eggplant Nasu Dengaku, the generous portion of the miso butter salmon and the signature cigar with a shot of sake.

I recommend the spicy endamame with flaky bonito wavering on top.

All had different flavours and bursting with umami.

The staff were lovely and I would not hesitate to return.

Date of visit: July 2020