Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews hiking trails surrounded by nature chalet rob edge nursery forest dam weekend hand
Selected filters
Reviewed 28 September 2015

A long awaited trip, which was booked 3 months ago and eventually arrived at this beautifully tranquil and serene setting with the most uniquely designed chalet (4 of them). These are set at the fringe of a forest within earshot of a babbling brook. I had every intention of walking, hiking and being all so adventurous BUT I just relaxed under the trees or on my decked verandah and enjoyed the stilled quietness interrupted only by the songs of the birds and wings of insects. This only allows me to definetly return to do all the things I set out to do when I first decided to visit. A true gem of a place!

Room tip: Chalet nearer the forest have an additional open air bush shower
Date of stay: September 2015
Reviewed 9 July 2015 via mobile

Having spent a few days at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown, we wanted to spend some time in Hogsback on our way back to Durban. Researching places to stay in the general area- I came across The Shire Eco Lodge in Stutterheim, about an hour and a half away from Hogsback. I was immediately attracted to it with it's intriguing design. I'm so glad we decided to spend 2 nights here. Living in a bubble of wood with everything you need, overlooking a beautiful forest just made our stay blissful! The design of each chalet is remarkable, but I really appreciated the crisp white sheets, sun corner, real coffee, spotless chalet, more than adequate kitchen goodies, and a beautiful space to just be. My only disappointment was that I had hoped that the chalet would have been serviced daily- but this wasn't the case. Fortunately, this didn't take anything away from our experience. They also have a lovely nursery with indigenous plants. We didn't want to leave, and in saying that- we will definitely be back!

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2015

I stayed here 3 years ago and again in May 2015 while doing botanical tours of the Eastern Cape. Standards are as high as ever and the 'cabins' are well maintained, well serviced and spotless. Others have described the delightful location on the edge of indigenous forest, and the hot and cold outdoor showers but for me 2 things stand out - the friendly professionalism of Rob and his team and the warm reassuring feeling that after a long and tiring day in the field a clean, comfortable room awaits. Relaxing is easy in a place like this. Well done Rob. 100% Magic.

Date of stay: May 2015
1  Thank eonalanoe
Reviewed 18 May 2015

Absolutely super place to stay. The site has a character all of its own, and the chalets are extremely comfortable and spacious. I really loved it. The wooden chalets are well designed and cosy. We used The Shire as a home base while on a plant hunting trip from the UK. I wished we could have been there every night because it was by far the best place we stayed while in South Africa.
With a stream running along the bottom of the site and the forest on the other side for walks the surroundings were perfect. I loved sitting in the evening sun on the veranda on the front of the chalet. Superbly relaxing!
The provisions have all been carefully thought out: the small kitchenette provided everything needed to cook even quite elaborate meals, and each chalet has a barbecue area outside. The bed was very comfy, and a really good thick extra blanket was provided in case of cold nights. There is a comfortable cushioned seating area with a coffee table, a desk with cushioned chair, and seats out on the veranda as well so plenty of options of where to relax.
For us the opportunity to visit The Shire nursery was a substantial extra positive. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Room tip: There is a bunk bed tucked into the roof of the chalet which an older child would love
Date of stay: May 2015
1  Thank Caroline S
Reviewed 6 April 2015

We spent one night in the chalet right at the end of the forest on the river. An amazing experience and something out of a story book. The chalets are beautiful and clean and well equipped. There is also an outdoor braai area right on the riverbed. The shower in the forest, with hot and cold water is beautiful. The walks around the area are amazing and good for cycling too. We had a lovely dinner and breakfast delivered to our chalet.
This is the stuff that fairytales are made of. Thank you Rob for sharing this beautiful piece of nature with us and for your wonderful hospitality and your Mom's lovely home cooking. Also for sharing your knowledge about the growing of the bulbs and showing us around your nursery. Please keep up the wonderful work that you are doing and thanks again for this great experience!
Jack and Omnia

Date of stay: March 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple