“Great food, lovely location”
Review of Star

Star
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Chalton
Price range: US$20 - US$30
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Had a great meal with work. Food was great, price to match the standard, so great. Friendly staff. Would go again

Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Star, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Hi David C,

Thank you very much for your 5* review of The Star, Chalton. Glad to hear your food was great and you found the waiting team friendly.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Read previous reviews that seemed a bit varied concerning food quality and service. We found that the food was very good with an excellent choice on the menu. We decided to order from the Sunday roast menu. It arrived in good time and was a good size portion.
After the main course we ordered desserts. The bill, including drinks, was very reasonable. We all enjoyed our visit and will be going back again in the future.

Hi Robin B,

Thanks for your review of your recent visit. I am so glad you gave us the chance to prove ourselves after reading some of our recent reviews as times have been tough at The Star, however we are turning a corner and getting back on the right track. I will pass your comments onto all the waiting and kitchen staff to show them that they are delivering an experience expected when dining in a Chef & Brewer establishment.

We await your next visit, try coming in after the 19th April as we are launching a brand new menu with some fantastic dishes.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

My sisters and me had a meal here last Wednesday. We hadn’t booked but we’re quickly shown to a table even though it was quite busy.
We all enjoyed our meals and the service was prompt and efficient. As my sister’s Chicken Tikka Makanni Tiffin was delivered I joked that she hadn’t got the chocolate, Simon, who was looking after us, promptly went off and brought us a little bit of chocolate brownie, nice touch sharing our joke.
The three of us all agreed we’d had a lovely evening.

Hi Ann B,

Many thanks for your 4* review of The Star, Chalton. I am very glad to hear you enjoyed your meals and found the service prompt and effiecient. And I hope you did as instructed and ate your meal before your chocolate treat?

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Haven't been to the star for sometime but went for a family meal at 6.30 in the evening on a Wednesday and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of table full. Very friendly staff and well looked after by Simon

Simon T, Guest Relations Manager at Star, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hi 609debs,

Many thanks for your review and kind words. The Star is currently going through a very tough period of change and to receive feedback like this fantastic, I will make sure all the team see this to so they are aware that there efforts are being noticed.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed 20 March 2018

We consider the Star to be our "local restaurant" and have been going there approximately once a month for over 20 years. Over this time it has had its ups and downs, but more ups than downs. Our visit on Saturday was the worst it has ever been and we were extremely disappointed. Our server, a young woman, was uninterested, uninformed and very slow to serve us. The place was also very cold which doesn't do much for your comfort when you are trying to enjoy a nice meal.

I ordered the wagyu burger and it was absolutely terrible - it tasted like something you would get off a burger van on the side of the road. I even got the waitress to check if it was in fact a Wagyu burger and I was assured it was, but I seriously doubt it. Either that or the suppliers need suing under the trade descriptions act! The burger should have come with crispy prosciutto but it wasn't on the plate when I got my meal. I queried this and the waitress told me that they didn't have any prosciutto but I could have streaky bacon instead! Talk about chalk and cheese! I made the point that I should have been told that there was no prosciutto when I ordered because I probably would have changed my menu choice. However, the waitress ignored this.

My husband ordered the fish pie. He has been having the fish pie in the Star for years and the fish pie is now half the size it was, and doesn't include prawns any more. However, the price hasn't changed!

I wasn't getting anywhere with our server so I asked another member of staff who seemed to know what she was doing. She did apologise and explained that the suppliers had changed (to save money I would imagine). I pointed out that our experience proved that had been a wrong move. She also explained that the Star was currently without a Manager, Assistant Manager and Chef so the place was being run by other staff drafted in - she told us she had driven down from Sheffield that day to help run the place. This explained the appalling service then! To give her her due she did discount our bill.

The Star really need to sort out these problems because their customers will be deserting them in droves if this continues. We certainly will not return until they have permanent staff in-situ and have changed their suppliers again.

Simon T, Manager at Star, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2018

Hi sue190747,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for taking the time to leave us this feedback. It is very important to hear both good and bad experiences to prevent it from happening again and improve to bring the Star back to the right level of standard.

Many apologies for the quality of the food that was served to you, clearly not the standard it should be served at and would definitely affect your experience. The wagyu was looked into as it was a wagyu served but as explained there have been a few supplier changes due to some suppliers been caught out as it was explained all over the news. This issue is now resolved and should no longer be an issue. The fish pie has been served with Salmon and Cod for the last two years unless it has been prepared differently in the past but just wanted to make you aware that's all.

Regardless I completely agree this is not the experience you, a loyal diner for such a long time deserves. As explained there has been a change of hands and some serious staffing issues and we have been working really hard to get a brand new team in place and bring the Star back up to full strength - these issues regardless should not be impacting the guest experience and we are working everyday to ensure we get your image of us back to normal.

Once again thank you for passing on your feedback and will look forward to you visit in the future.

If you wish to discuss with us further please don't hesitate to call us