“1st Anniversary Stay”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Hintlesham
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Well what can I say! Another fabulous 2 night stay at Hintlesham Hall for our 1st Wedding Anniversary We had the most fabulous & relaxing stay. Our room was just perfect and because we had our wedding there last year they delighted us with a complimentary 3 course anniversary dinner with champagne which was of course delicious, a big thank you had to go to the restaurant Manager & staff for looking after us so well. We also decided to use the spa and have treatments I must say a huge thankyou to Kay who gave me the most relaxing massage & facial, highly recommended.We followed this on by having champagne afternoon tea OMG just lets say the diet will have to start tomorrow. Thankyou Hintlesham Hall & keep up the good work we will definitely be back it’s like our second home

2  Thank ladybird0812

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Coffee, tea and sandwiches for lunch. Great surroundings and ambiance but average coffee and poor sandwiches. They were dry, too cold and had very thin standard fillings. Had expected far better quality and more "artisan" offerings from this 4*** establishement.

1  Thank Courrieu2013
Reviewed 18 March 2018

This was my first visit here for a birthday treat for my husband, as it was a new place I got a deal through Groupon. We were not disappointed! The hall is a little off the beaten track but we liked this as it seemed very peaceful & tranquil and it was easy to get to.

There is plenty of parking & the hall looked lovely as we drove up especially with the snow around. We were greeted warmly & shown to our room which was very comfortable, it had a lovely antique feel in keeping with the age & style of the hall. The place was very clean & the large bathroom was modern, well stocked with spa quality toiletries & had a large bath & modern shower cubicle. The room itself was quite large with a carved wooden 4 poster bed, the temperature in the room was excellent throughout our stay even though it was cold outside, there were plenty of radiators to keep it cosy. We got a good nights sleep as it was quiet & dark and our floor had only 2 rooms. The pace is delightfully creaky though when you walk around but we didn't hear any of this from our room. It had the standard tea & coffee making facilities that I would expect & there was a TV & free wifi. Although I didn't try it this time there was a very comprehensive menu of spa treatments available which I would definitely try on a future visit.

We had dinner in the restaurant & the staff were all very pleasant & attentive but not too distracting either. We had the lamb starter & the scallops & the portion sizes were a little bigger than average, very tasty & beautifully presented. For our main meals I had the haddock which was cooked to perfection with a light sauce & a nice selection of vegetables. The flavours complemented each other well & did not overpower the delicate flavour of the fish, again the presentation was lovely. My husband had the duck which was served pink & he said it was melt in the mouth tender so he was very happy too. We both managed a dessert, I had the Hintelsham mess & he had the milk chocolate truffle both were delicious & very pretty. I very much liked the fact that instead of bland background music there was a live pianist paying throughout out meal in the corridor just outside the restaurant, this meant that it wasn't too loud & his repertoire was very good too it was a very nice touch & we really enjoyed it.

The lounge area is very comfortable & we had our coffees there, afterwards, they also have a library with board games that you can borrow. There is quite a bit of attention to detail apparent here & it was a shame that we were only there for the one night as the hotel offers a lot of options for things to do & we would have liked a walk around the grounds & to have a go at croquet, sadly the weather made that a bit difficult but we had a great stay all the same.

Before departure we had a hearty breakfast there was a fairly small selection of cereal & fruits but what they had was fresh, regularly replenished & of very good quality, I particularly liked the mixed nuts & tropical fruit coulis. There was orange & apple juice available too & unlike some places it didn't taste watered down. The coffee & tea are served in individual pots that stay nice & hot & the toast is fresh bakery bread & nice thick slices. The cooked breakfast is not at all greasy & the items all seem to be locally produced & is cooked to order so it hasn't been sitting around on a buffet bar which really makes a difference.

The only downside was that a couple of other guests seemed to want to make life very difficult for the staff by being very demanding & moaning about insignificant issues in a loud & rude manner. I have to say the staff took it in their stride and were very professional in handling the situation with good grace in the face of ignorance.

Overall we really enjoyed our stay here & will definitely visit again, I would like to try a different room next time as many of them are themed & it would be nice to try them all!

1  Thank Littykittycat
Reviewed 13 February 2018

Our daughter bought my wife and I a voucher for "Afternoon Tea" from a company called "buy a gift". A list of restaurants and hotels are available which I assumed was simply a sample but as there was only two in East Anglia we opted to go to Hintlesham Hall. I duly telephoned and the receptionist at Hintlesham Hall took my details, voucher number, etc and we booked for 4.0pm on 13th February 2018.
We drove around 50 miles from Diss and arrived on time only to be told that Hintlesham Hall is not a participating company with "buy a gift" and our voucher could not be used there. Of course we could have had afternoon tea and paid for it but on a matter of principal we chose to leave, tired and hungry !!!

My argument is not with Hintlesham Hall entirely, it is a lovely hotel, beautifully situated in a lovely part of Suffolk but the reception staff who took my booking should surely have known and advised us accordingly that our voucher was not acceptable there and I hold her responsible for the journey, fuel cost and waste of the afternoon. Sheer incompetence.

Reviewed 9 February 2018

Nice traditional wood panelled room for lunch, not too busy when we were there. Started with a fillet of haddock and chowder, tasty and quite a generous portion for a starter, then followed up with slow cooked duck leg. All done just right and pleasantly served. Value, not bad for the standard of food.

2  Thank Richard G