Highlands Country House
Agoda.com
Victoria House(Kenilworth)
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewscape towntable mountainpaying guestseasy accessfeel at homemade us feelcarolgardencatdiscreet
Reviewed 4 January 2016

Highlands was built 115 years ago, and a stay there provides one with a glimpse into its exquisite colonial past. Although well maintained, this grand old lady does show a few cracks here and there: a chipped gable, the odd broken roof tile, but they mostly just add to the charm. Our room (Room 1) was spacious and airy, and the bathroom very bright. (I noticed the electrical connection to the television in our room was just taped on, which is a bit of a fire concern.) The bed was large and comfortable, with plump down pillows. Sound from other guests did travel through into our room, but it wasn't excessive and didn't keep us awake.

Although all staff members were friendly, special mention must be made of Monica, who served our breakfasts. She went out of her way to see to our needs, always with a cheerful smile. We didn't have dinner there, but the breakfasts were tasty, and Jane provided an absolute smorgasbord on Christmas day.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2015

I visited the Highlands earlier this month with my dad. He was traveling to Cape Town on business, and I had always wanted to visit, so tagged along for this trip. This was my first visit to Cape Town and first stay at the Highlands, but my dad had stayed there in the past.
The staff are all very service oriented, and wonderful. Everyone smiles and is helpful. The property is lovely. The gardens are beautiful and there are two pools. The location is not far from Cape Town attractions. The breakfast table was set out every morning with a variety of foods, and we could order eggs and bacon in addition.

I would definitely recommend the Highlands.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 December 2015

This is such a gorgeous place to stay in Cape Town. Big beautifully decorated bedrooms and bathrooms, elegant living rooms and a stunning garden. The staff are incredibly helpful, and even set up an area for my husband to have a business meeting one day last week. It is situated in a fashionable and convenient part of Cape Town and we simply loved it.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2015

Had a good stay at Highlands. The room and bed are large and comfortable. I had a terrace which was a nice touch. It is a house, so sound proofing is not great within the house, but I wasn't disturbed during the night, so it wasn't a problem. If you want to explore the area I would suggest a car. There was no chef on the week I stayed which wasn't a problem, we knew in advance, so I can't comment on the food. Overall as far as the room and service goes it was good.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 November 2015

Personalised service a plus.
It is great to be known as a person instead of just a number.
Loss of dinner availabilty a minus.
Was not happy that other guest travelling with me got smaller room upstairs.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business