“Very quiet and peaceful location”

Review of Gite 'Lily'

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
front of the Gites
Patio and part of the Garden leading to fields and woods
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
JJandUs
Kent, United Kingdom
“It is the lack of attention to detail that really lets the place down.”
Reviewed 15 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

If you looking for a quiet holiday then this is the place. Unless you enjoy very long walks you do need a car to go anywhere – even the driveway is at least half a mile long.

The gite is very spacious, however the fact that the owners have tried to make it appear homely just means it is very cluttered. For instance there are plenty of cooking utensils but nowhere, except a fridge freezer to store any food. This is bit like staying at a friends house that has half moved out. All the clothes are gone but they have left everything else.
We were greeted with a welcome basket which was very nice. But the welcoming committee of flying ants that occupied the whole landing when we went to bed was not so nice. Luckily there was plenty of spray in the cupboards so this is clearly a recurring problem.

The owner said there was a welome book that detailed places to visit but it only contained information about horse stables, the local chateau, a food delivery service and the wifi. There was a very large pile of pamphlets but most were in french and the pile went back to 2010. So I would suggest you research where there is to visit before you go.

The washing line left a lot to be desired but luckily there is an airer. The bottom plastic of the shower door kept falling off and we had a constantly wet shower mat and floor.
My son was given just a blow up mattress on the floor which was not fully blown up and, as a result, he kept falling off it. Yes we would have asked the owner to pump it up properly but we shouldn't have to.
The woodland walk is nice but would have been better if it was finished. The pool is an above ground plastic pool. Luckily for us the children staying next door kept clearing all the leaves out but this didn't stop my son getting an ear infection.

The owner always claims that everything is provided but nobody really wants to spend their holiday constantly asking for stuff that really should be done automatically. It is obvious from the stuff left in the gite that other people have just bought stuff rather than keep asking. No bins emptied – unless you ask. No clean towels – unless you ask. No working batteries in the TV remote, no tea towels, no soap – unless you ask.

It is the lack of attention to detail that really lets the place down.

Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
21 Nov 2015
Thank you for your second review, for this particular week, and I am sorry to hear of your comments/complaints but I would like the opportunity to reply to you. You state a car is needed here ? yes , as stated on our website - and that our drive is half a mile long yes it is, but my only option about this is to either move the house towards the road or ask the local council to re-direct the road nearer the house. Yes a facetious answer, but what do you want me to do ? We regard the drive not only as an added feature to the property but also extra security ( from the road ) Re food space we thought there was enough cupboard space in the kitchen for food etc ? but I take this on board for review. With regard to your welcome of flying ants ? these are not our pets ? you never know when we will get a visit from any type of insect ? ( as in the UK ) hence we keep an insect spray on hand in case a problem should arise On booking, you requested a spare bed for your young son and I gave the option of blow-up or camp and you opted for blow-up, which on your arrival I asked if this was pumped up enough for you or if you wanted more air in it - you said that it was ok ! But then you wait to say in the review it was not pumped up enough and your son kept falling out I cannot understand why did you not ask me to pump it up some more rather than your son keep falling out ? and then wait to enter this in the review. The leaflets that were left for you gave a idea of local attractions and chateaux etc which you state were mainly in French, well what can I say, you are in France !!! We do try to put leaflets in English when available. Some leaflets you say were dated, however, the buildings etc are still the same and have been for hundreds of years, many of our guests have already via internet etc got a good idea of where they are going to visit before they get here, failing all else there are many tourist offices here including Le Lude. The washing line and clothes airer in each Gite I thought was enough, but again I shall take this on board. You say that the woodland walk is not finished ? I don?t understand this as our ?woodland walk? finishes on the boundry of our land ? which is approx 18 acres and all past guests said they liked the walk in our back garden ( we are not the forestry commission ) - You say that the shower leaked ? well, we have upgraded all four showers which are now much larger than before and this must be a plus for you. And new mattress have also been installed. You say that there were no clean towels or tea towels. This I am afraid was not true. We have professional cleaners each week for the changeover who re-equip the Gites every week. The tea towels are in one of the kitchen drawers ( as stated in the welcome book ) and the main towels are in each bathroom ? and when I greeted you on your arrival ? if you required any more - or indeed required anything at all I am on site, please just ask. But to write after your visit to us that you did not have these items I think is somewhat of a cop-out because why did you not ask me during your stay? We met on several occasions during your week here and when asked if everything was ok you said all was good. To go on, you say that there is ?stuff? left in the Gite by previous occupiers I do not know what you mean by this what is ?stuff? ? Nothing is left by any previous guest. Finally from your catalogue of disasters you say there were no batteries in the tv remote ? batteries can discharge at any time and the guests who arrived after your visit did not have a problem ? but again ask and we would have been only too pleased to renew the batteries or indeed anything such as a blown light bulb etc etc. We are not psychic we do not know if anything is required during the week unless you tell us ? otherwise it is not until the end of week at changeover time that we find out if anything is required and will be maintained. The plunge pool in the garden does from time to time have leaves fall into it, that is why there are a number of items including a leaf collector by the pool for you to help yourself to remove any debris etc. However you say that your son contracted an ear infection which you attribute to the pool. Many people used the pool this year without any type of infection of any kind. Lastly I do not put soap or any toiletries into the Gites because I believe this to be personal to each guest and products are not suited by all.
We are not unapproachable although I feel that I may be sounding like Basil Fawlty in response to this somewhat damaging review - but in fact quite the opposite - we are here to help you in any way we can as your happiness and comfort during your stay here with us is our main concern, as it is of course our business, and which brings many of our guests returning to us each year ! I would just like to end this marathon by saying that I did want to answer your questions/complaints and we do welcome any comment so that we can keep a good standard here at La Huttiere. However, I do point out to you that we never ever want to lose a guest but our Gite ? as with all Gites is a SELF catering experience and not a Hotel which I feel that you may be better off visiting in the future.
beachcomb...
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Very quiet and peaceful location”
Reviewed 9 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015

A really nicely appointed gite. Every thing is provided, you just need to bring tea towels and pool towels. It was very hot the week we stayed. A fan is provided in one bedroom but you would need to bring another one for the other one. The pool is a shallow above ground pool, ideal for young children. There is a short woodland walk within the boundary of the property. The gite adjoins another gite so if both are occupied your privacy could be compromised. There are swings, table tennis, swingball and bat and ball in the garden and the gite is well equipped with cooker, BBQ, microwave, toaster, kettle, coffee maker and a fridge freezer. The nearest supermarket is in Le Lude, a few miles away. It stocks most things and is open on Sunday mornings during July and August. A good base to visit the local attractions. Bring plenty of mossie repellant.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Well equipped
Liked least: Lack of fans or air conditioning
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
13 Aug 2015
Thank you for your review of our holiday Gite 'Lily' would just like to say that you do not need to bring anything with you as everything that you may require is provided. There were four tea towles in the kitchen cupboard and a second electric fan was located downstairs ( seek and you will find ) or just ask and will get it for you. Although there are of course towels provided if you require more this is absolutely no problem again just ask and we will provide more for you.
We value your custom with us and want you to have a stress free relaxing holiday so that is why we try to go the 'extra mile' to make your holiday special. The two gites are pationed on your rear terrace so you can enjoy eating Al Fresco and barbecue etc in private.
We want you to enjoy your stay with us so that you visit us again as do many of our guests who are repeat bookings
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing