Reviews (11 797)
7 772
2 629
7 772
2 629
All reviews diamond club caribbean grill splash pool sports bar zen restaurant butler service hunter steakhouse gourmet marche presidential suite tex mex food was amazing ocean view kids club guest services our favourite dinner reservations family vacation
851 - 856 of 11 797 reviews
Reviewed 28 June 2018

Beach was terrible. Could not swim in the ocean. Brown water. Seaweed all over the beach. On another note, the resort was amazing, food, activities, pools, bars............ were awesome. Friendly entertainment staff

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Alfonso L, Manager at Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2018

Dear afarhat2018
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor about your stay. We're honored to know you enjoyed our facilities, restaurants, and the entertainment activities. It has been an unfortunate coincidence that the seaweed season did not contribute much for your experience. We hope that you will soon visit us again at Royalton Rivera Cancun for another great vacation.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We visited this hotel for a 2 week vacation , the food was all top quality without having to ore book at the restaurants as they use a buzzer system that works well, drink choice was all top branded drinks, room choice etc was all excellent couldn’t fault the hotel at all
The plastic royal tin band that acts as your room card is a quality idea aswell

Proper 5 star all inclusive

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Alfonso L, Manager at Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear numpty16
Thank you for share you review. We are happy to know how much you enjoyed your stay at Royalton Riviera Cancun our facilities and services lived up to your expectations, especially for the food, restaurants and facilites. We hope that we will soon receive it again.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

If you're looking for a great beach, do not come here. Water is murky and filled with algae. I do not even want to get in the water.

However, hotel is a great facility. Modern, polished and great service.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Apatz

Dear Apatz
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a great service and enjoyed our facilities during your stay. It is hard to know that your vacations were not the best experience due to the seaweed season. We hope that you will soon give us the opportunity to enjoy a vacation at Royalton Rivera Cancun.

Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

My family, relatives and i stayed at Royalton Cancun for one week. The property is expansive and extraordinary, breathtaking. Check in and check out was a breeze. The food was spectacular especially from Gourmet Marche and Zen! Alexa Centeno our regular hostess was always pleasant and helpful! Beautiful smile that captivated my infant son's heart. Our housekeeper, Lorena, was always available and was also very helpful and talented, made animals daily with towels for my son. Room service was always prompt. Nightly activities for guests to enjoy. Truly a vacation spot for the whole family. I would certainly return in the near future. Thank you Royalton Cancun for an unforgettable time.

Carla Roberts-Lewis
Glynis McDonald-Roberts
Jaalen Lewis

June 14-21,2018

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Carla R
Thank you very much for writing your review on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay and that it fulfilled your expectations, it is also pleasing that our staff has been of your total satisfaction. Your message will come to motivate them in their activities. I will share your kind message to Alexa and Lorena too. We hope to have your visit to Royalton Riviera Cancun in the very near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

Anticipating a truly luxurious winter break we chose the Royalton Riviera Cancun based on the many positive reviews. Sadly our expectations led to disappointment, mostly with management, or should I say mismanagement of the issues we encountered.

We took the early Sunwing flight not realizing that check-in at the hotel is 3:00pm, this means we waited around from about 11:30 to get our rooms. (Remember, Sunwing owns Royalton Resorts, so you would think some coordination of services would be practical.)
Travel tip - take the afternoon flight. It gets you in at 2:30pm.

When we checked at the desk around 2:30pm after having lunch and doing some exploring around the resort, we were told that our rooms would be ready for 3pm - that's the check-in time. Okay we'll wait for a bit in the beautiful lobby with an expansive view of the ocean. At 4:15pm when our rooms were ready, and we were finally checked-in I was thrilled to be able to take a shower and get ready for dinner as I had not slept for about 30 hours at this stage. I was slightly disappointed that our rooms weren't connecting as I had originally requested, but I know these are requests only, and we were close enough.

Dinner at the Agave was okay, nothing special, for Mexican food it was somewhat tasteless. Perhaps I was overtired. We therefore decided to get to bed early at 10:00pm. I fell into a deep sleep only to be awoken at 11:30pm to thunderous music. And I'm not exaggerating here. Bruno Mars' Locked out of Heaven was blasting through our room and was definitely my current state of mind.

I called down to the front desk and was told that the music was coming from a neighbouring property which is an event centre that has parties, weddings etc. There was nothing they could do about it, and they had already had multiple complaints from both buildings 9 and 8. So this is something to be aware of when booking your room category.

The next day we went to discuss the issue with Guest Services. This area is enclosed behind glass doors and is very private. Disgruntled guests are ushered away from the main reception area for good reason, issues are kept private.

At Guest Services we were again told that there was nothing they could do about the noise as this was not within the hotel's control. I absolutely agree, but when I've already requested a quiet room why would we be put into an area of the hotel that has known issues? Yes, we discovered this only after we were at the hotel. Do some online research to confirm. So clearly management knows this and does nothing about it. Yet, at the end of every conversation you get the usual, "It's my pleasure!" from a canned corporate policy handbook. "It's my pleasure," is a prolific statement made by servers, managers and everyone in between. Yet, I'm not sure there is any thought or feeling behind it.

Still feeling locked out of heaven, we asked to speak to the manager. This is when we met Ambar Delgado who is the Guest Services Manager. I'm not sure Services should be in her title. After a firm conversation, Ambar offered us "Amenities" yet when asked what this meant, she wasn't sure. We didn't want any amenities. What we wanted were rooms in which we could sleep and to begin our, as promised, "luxury" vacation.

Ambar insisted there were no rooms anywhere in the hotel. We just could not be moved as the hotel was at full capacity. Yet, through alternate reliable sources we discovered that yes the hotel was fairly full, but definitely not at full capacity and there were rooms available in all sections.

I called out Ambar on her blatant lie and several phone calls and emails later Ambar finally agreed to move us to new rooms in the Diamond section however this would not include the butler service. That compromise was acceptable to us.

When asked if we could view the rooms prior to making a decision, she said we couldn't. That we would have to give up our current rooms at noon and would receive our new rooms at 4:00pm. Our luggage would be stored. We were willing to do this provided we were in a quieter section as close together as possible. Ambar promised the rooms would be much quieter, and they were beautiful luxury rooms. She assured us we would not be disappointed.

Well considering management lies through their teeth, I should not have thanked her in advance or had such high expectations, because the new rooms though identical in layout and amenities were actually worse. The dividing curtain and bed skirts were stained. Portions of the artwork were missing which meant there were bare screws hanging on the wall. The TV didn't work (and you need it to access room service). And worse we were placed on different floors.

My eldest daughter was benevolent enough to take the noisy room which was on the lobby level with raucous drunken guests going by until late at night. She slept with her headphones on throughout the trip, while my youngest refusing to be so far away from us decided to bunk in with us. There goes luxury and romance in one fell swoop. Talk about being locked out of heaven, with Ambar's "pleasure".

Having said all that there are things about this property that are truly five star. The management definitely is NOT!

5 Stars - The decor of the resort is modern, bright and airy. The architect and designer did an incredible job. The view form the lobby is spectacular.
Service from many restaurant servers is five star. Special mentions to Ivan who made me an omelet every morning with a happy smile and joyful conversation. Ambar could take a customer service lesson from him. Charlie Brown (Carlos) the man who provides beach towels and makes up your beach bed. Pedro the server at Hunter restaurant. Hunter restaurant for its great food and awesome ambiance. Andre the server at Opa, another great restaurant serving Mediterranean food. Johnathan the server at the beach. Yes, there is service at the beach for both food and drink. That is very five star. And Juan the polished, professional and five star server at the Caribbean restaurant. This was by far our favourite restaurant for the service, food quality, decor, and location with a sea view.
Oh the beach beds. Definitely 5 star. They are non-porous material and very clean. Carlos will make up your bed so you lay on towels and bask away with a book in your hand. Shortly thereafter Johnathon will offer you the pina colada you ordered and you know heaven's door may just be opening up to you.
Other 5 star items are the little things that have been thought about, like a plug inside the safe so you can charge your phone or tablet while you're elsewhere. A nice touch.
I will say the Royalton is technologically advanced. You can order your room service via your TV and also receive phone messages on your TV. Phone calls to North America are free and a great feature if you need to stay in touch with home or business. Wifi access is included and strong just about anywhere in the resort, even the beach. Your room key card is your resort bracelet so you can walk around with absolutely nothing in your hand at the beach. This is a very nice convenience.
Scoops cafe also offers 5 star service. Great for an afternoon frapp or a goodie for dessert.

4 Stars - The rooms are good in size. Beds are relatively comfortable. And aside from the staining on the bed skirts and curtain divider the cleanliness level of the rooms is acceptable. Bedding feels crisp and clean and showers are large.
The buffet restaurant offers a huge variety of food that caters to almost any palette, though some of the food could use a bit of oomph. There is however plenty to choose from whether you are vegetarian, meat eater, health fanatic or other. There is even a small gluten-free section.
The vast choice of restaurants adds to the benefits of this resort. We ate at a different restaurant each night. Some are good, some are just okay. And the menus are limited. But if you are looking for variety the buffet is available from 6:30 am to 10:00pm.

3 Stars - The beach. The sand is a beautiful white, and the various blue and turquoise hues of the water from a distance are reminiscent of a stunning Caribbean beach, however this beach has a lot of seaweed, both on shore and in the water making the water dull and murky. Once you get past the seaweed the water feels great. And I believe, based on what some of the staff I spoke with said, the clarity of the water really depends on the season. This is a problem with a lot of resorts in the Riviera Maya not just the Royalton and I do see them cleaning the seaweed fairly regularly. However the seaweed isn't removed. It is simply broken down by a farm type of tractor and ground into the sand, making the color of the sand unappetizing and uneasy under your feet.
The nightly entertainment is sometimes 3 star, sometimes better. And there really isn't all that much to do at the resort ie. no bicycles, shooting range (don't laugh, we've done that elsewhere), rock climbing etc.

2 Stars - The fact that no reservations are needed at the restaurants seems like a great idea, until you find out that Diamond club guests make reservations through their butlers, which means waiting for a table at a popular restaurant can take over an hour for lowly Royalton guests. The Japanese restaurant's tepenyaki show requires reservations that you make the same day beginning at 3pm. Get there early (2:30) in order to be at the front of the line. Diamond club guests get their butlers to book reservations, so this restaurant books up within a half hour.
The tiered service system (Diamond and Royalton) certainly makes you feel locked out of heaven once again if you are not a Diamond Club guest, especially if you realize that guests are treated differently based on the color of their bracelets.
Another 2 star feature is the overabundance of unruly children under 5. If you are an older family this can get annoying at times, especially in the evenings. If you are a family with very young children this might be a 5 star feature for you. I have never seen as many young families at a resort in my entire life, and we've been to many kiddie inclusive resorts.

1 Star for - The management at the hotel lies and then lies some more. Customer service is not the priority. Getting guests in and out and getting them to spend as much as possible is the priority. The majority of what is said are mere words without substance. Read the responses to poor reviews from Alfonso Lopez, the General Manager. Canned responses that mean little after the fact. In fact, I reached out to Alfonso during our stay, but never received a response. Given an opportunity to actually help guests, very little is done. We did receive the "amenities". These were a plate of mini desserts, for four nights, to one room. A nice gesture, but easily available at the buffet restaurant. What we really needed were quiet, clean rooms, but enough said.

Other 1 star items include the under-staffing of wait staff in the buffet restaurant, which means it can take a while to get a cup of coffee in the morning, often after breakfast has already been eaten. It isn't the staff's fault. They run around like crazy (literally) trying to please the guests, and definitely deserve the tips they get. Under-staffing is also an issue with the maid service. Often your room isn't cleaned until 4 or 5 pm as you are returning to your room. This is definitely a management issue.
If you are in building 5 on the lower floors and your room faces the back (mangrove) get ready for the sound of rolling carts and delivery vehicles, as the loading dock area is just below your balcony.
There is an unpleasant smell from the mangrove at times, but I did not find this offensive. Some people have mentioned that they do. Looking over the mangrove from a higher floor (4) is actually quite beautiful, and the sun pours in during the afternoon.
Another 1 star issue is the fact that the Royalton is selling timeshares. It might be okay if you could discern the difference between front desk personnel from a timeshare seller, but you cannot. They wear the same uniform. You get jettisoned away right after check-in thinking you're receiving five star service only to find out that you're talking to a salesperson who wants you to attend the high-level sales pitch at breakfast the next morning. Fortunately for us we caught on very quickly and didn't attend the breakfast, but met a few people who did and were very upset by the deceit.
Definitely a 1 star is the kitchen worker who came out to plunge her filthy finger into a salad at the buffet restaurant. I'm not sure what she was doing. Checking the temperature? Get a thermometer lady!
Also 1 star is the server in the Score Bar and 1 in the buffet restaurant who literally rolled their eyes when we were seated in their section. There are some employees who are clearly disgruntled. And some who really enjoy their jobs. It's pretty easy to discern. Service can really be hit or miss whether you tip or not. And we tipped a lot.

Theft at the hotel also seems to be an issue. We met a couple who had cash stolen from their room. Apparently anything you leave outside the safe is game. And there's not much anyone will do about it. We used the safes, no problem.

Although this resort is marketed as a five star it lacks true five star quality and service. Something that management really needs to get a handle on before the Royalton brand develops a reputation for poor management and bad service. Me? I'm still feeling like I was locked out of heaven.

Last year we had a heavenly stay at the Princess, which is just a bit further down the coast.

Feel free to review the images I've attached and ask questions. I apologize for the extra long review, but remember, "It's my pleasure."

Room tip: Rooms on level 3 in Diamond building 5 are super noisy from drunken guests walking by at all hours, and the proximity to lobby and bar.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ShellsOnTheBeach
Alfonso L, Gerente at Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Dear ShellsOnTheBeach
It is not always easy reading a review of one of our guests who left our premises unsatisfied or unhappy, but at Royalton Riviera Cancun knowing what our guests thinks is extremely important to us. Our most unfeigned apology to you and your family.
We will continue to work even harder in fixing what you pointed out.
Thank you again for your feedback and for choosing Royalton Riviera Cancun.
Luxury regards