“FOOD POISONING!”

Ranked #2 of 31 Restaurants in Guiseley
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

FOOD POISONING!!! Visited The Wetherby Whaler on recommendation, ordered in the takeaway section and sat outside on the bench. Service was poor as was the food and the prices. Ordered fish and chips, waited for it to be re-cooked as did not see the sign about having to ask for it to be cooked in veg oil until afterwards. When it arrived I was disappointed. It was overcooked and greasy! Fish was super greasy and the batter was shiny for some reason (never seen it like this before from any fish and chip shop). The fish inside was slimy and there was hardly any if I am truthful (do not think it was haddock/cod). The chips were overcooked! Overall the food was very poor in quality especially for the price paid. I went home and was sick and have been ill with food poisoning from it since then. Been to the doctor and he confirmed the same have food poisoning.

1  Thank Doudde Z
BigWhaler, Owner at Wetherby Whaler, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Mr Doubbe Zeb,

I would just like to clarify some of the points you have raised in your review. It is a shame that you are allowed to post such negative reviews, with such a serious and harmful accusation as food poisoning when you have no proof of your illness.

As I have pointed out to you in our private correspondence the likelihood of you getting food poisoning from Fish and Chips is extremely rare owing to the low risk nature of the raw ingredients and the high temperatures they are cooked at. If the illness had been passed on from a member of staff yours would not have been the isolated case reported to us either. We have a 5 star Food Hygiene rating and we also hold the Quality Award from the National Federation of Fish Friers for our food safety and good practices.

I am amazed that you managed to get a sample to the Doctor on the Friday of your illness to have the results returned over the weekend confirming the cause of your illness. I think we have every right as a business to ask for the proof so that we can operate due diligence and investigate the nature of your complaint- if it is genuinely our mistake!

Food poisoning usually takes between 2-6 hours to begin, it can take up to 48 hours, hence people are often wrong when they blame the last meal that they ate.

My final point is that we are MSC certified, which means that every piece of fish that we sell, always Haddock can be traced from Sea to Plate. Feel free to lock at the Marine Stewardship Council website for more information.

It is a shame that you disliked our product so much, however I am sure this means that you won’t be a customer of ours again in the future.

Kind regards

Caroline

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What can I say... excellent fish & chip restaurant with great food, lovely staff & desserts to die for especially the cheese cake which is the best I’ve ever had.
Love going there.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

It is many years since we visited here (when it was Harry Ramsdens) and so we were nervous to see if the new owners were as good as the old. They were, and better, whilst respecting the history of the place, it is now modern with lovely decor. (And exceptionally clean). The food was excellent, I had the salmon salad which was one of the freshest salads I have ever had in a restaurant. My husband went for a traditional fish and chips whilst my daughter had chicken and they both enjoyed their meal as much as I did. The desserts were really good. Our server was polite, friendly and an asset to the place. We would certainly eat here again if in the area.

2  Thank badwolfbabe
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited as a large family group of 10,as a family celebration.When the waitress arrived to take our order,my middle daughter asked if she could have her haddock lightly floured instead of batter to be told NO, a choice of either grilled or microwaved,really,microwaving a delicate piece of fish,em NO,on complaining I was told that the fish would collapse during cooking process if floured instead of better,RIDICULOUS,I cook fresh haddock every week after flouring it,never heard of anything more ridiculous.
Healthier options should be an option !!!!!!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Friendly atmosphere, helpful and attentive staff with the sole aim of making guests welcome and juggling the menu to suit